grass fed pork?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grass fed pork?

whats the pork equivalent of grass fed pork?

don't hear the term talked about because pigs are scavengers, whats the best kind to buy? thanks
    www.beatingorthorexia.co.uk

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Pastured pork is ideal. It's been so long since I bought it in the store that I don't know if that's available anywhere (didn't used to be), but they do sometimes sell antibiotic-free, fwiw.

Pigs & chickens are usually the most crammed in & abused in the factory farming world.
    5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
    Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
    Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
    ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

I get my meat from paidom.com. Their pork is as pastured as they can get it but they still have to supplement their diets. It's delicious! I love the raw uncured bacon.

Comment

Slankers (http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/) sells pastured pork. It's the best pork I've ever had, and, no, I get no kick backs from them. I'm just a fan with a freezer full of yummy pastured meat.
        Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

Go to your county fair & pick one up from a local 4-H kid. Of course, I might just be biased because I was one of those kids, but hey. We fed ours goat milk 2x day.
          And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
          Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

Comment

I get forest fed pork. just got 2 pounds of pure fat to render lard! and bacon of course.
            forestfed.com I believe. They let them scavenge (or whatever you want to call it) in the forest. It is truly the best pork i've ever had.

Comment

Buy a gun and shoot your own wild pig.
              A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

I get my pork from a local farm, I know the owner, the pigs run free and scavage, but they are also supplemented with non-gmo feed. I am pretty comfortable with it. meat taste so much better than store bought.
                Strive for healthy today.

Satisfaction is the death of desire.

Comment

I've just found out about a new free range pig farm in my area and after asking they told me that their piggies were fed grains, the family's fruit and veg scraps, milk from their jersey cows and eggs from the chickens. I would say most free range pig farms would have to feed them mostly grains and then supplemented with other things.

Comment

I get pork from local folks at our farmers market who raise Berkshire pigs (a very high quality breed). The animals are pastured and fed a high-quality diet (along with what they forage). This farmer gives them toys to play with to keep them active, ensures they have wallowing holes for hot weather, and does not dock their tails or clip their teeth. I have to say, happy, well-fed pigs definitely taste better!
                    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

I recently bought pastured pork from a local farm. It was by far the best pork I have ever tasted -- completely different from anything I've ever had before! I finely chopped a bunch of vegetables -- onions, celery, red and green peppers and carrots, mixed it with the pork and used it to stuff poblano peppers. Cooked in a casserole dish in the oven in a little mushroom broth with plenty of chopped tomatoes on top. YUM!

Comment

Pastured beef has a fine situation with omega 3 and omega 6. Pastured pork does not. It is way bad with the omega 6 - omega 3 ratio. Since these elements are mainly in the fat, the bacon just ain't all that great. In my opinion, you may as well eat super market beef that was fed it's own excrement. I honestly don't think that pig is meant to be eaten.
                        Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

Originally posted by shadgal View Post
                          I've just found out about a new free range pig farm in my area and after asking they told me that their piggies were fed grains, the family's fruit and veg scraps, milk from their jersey cows and eggs from the chickens. I would say most free range pig farms would have to feed them mostly grains and then supplemented with other things.
                          Why aren't they feeding the pigs their meat scraps?

Originally posted by periquin View Post
                          Pastured beef has a fine situation with omega 3 and omega 6. Pastured pork does not. It is way bad with the omega 6 - omega 3 ratio. Since these elements are mainly in the fat, the bacon just ain't all that great. In my opinion, you may as well eat super market beef that was fed it's own excrement. I honestly don't think that pig is meant to be eaten.
                          Think of pigs as humans. They share many similarities with us and are meant to eat a similar diet. So a grain fed pig is equivalent to a grain fed human. A grass fed pig is equivalent to a vegetarian. So if you want a healthy (and tasty) pig feed them what makes a healthy (and presumably tasty) human - a paleo/primal diet.

Also, pig fat is close to human fat. Easier for us to digest.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushrat View Post
                            A grass fed pig is equivalent to a vegetarian. So if you want a healthy (and tasty) pig feed them what makes a healthy (and presumably tasty) human - a paleo/primal diet.
                            I doubt pigs can digest grass.

I guess the difference is between pigs fed on some commercial feed - or solely on that - and "free range" pigs that are allowed to root around and pick wild food up for themselves. That'll include roots they grub up, acorns and beech mast, fall-down apples. They probably take some insects, too. Farmers used to take them to the woods when particular foods were available to make use of those.

Their flesh is said to taste similar to human flash - at least, cannibals have said so. In Polynesia they called human flesh "long pig". But I don't know how similar their digestive system is to ours. I wouldn't try eating uncooked roots or acorns myself, which makes me wonder. Some tribal peoples have eaten acorns, but I think you need to bury them with ash and water them first.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                              I doubt pigs can digest grass.

I guess the difference is between pigs fed on some commercial feed - or solely on that - and "free range" pigs that are allowed to root around and pick wild food up for themselves. That'll include roots they grub up, acorns and beech mast, fall-down apples. They probably take some insects, too. Farmers used to take them to the woods when particular foods were available to make use of those.

Their flesh is said to taste similar to human flash - at least, cannibals have said so. In Polynesia they called human flesh "long pig". But I don't know how similar their digestive system is to ours. I wouldn't try eating uncooked roots or acorns myself, which makes me wonder. Some tribal peoples have eaten acorns, but I think you need to bury them with ash and water them first.
                              Grass eating pigs...fuck I am distracted. Anyway, I meant pigs that don't eat meat.

Long story short, best pigs I've ever seen were raised on a poultry farm and a large chunk of their diet was dead poultry.
                              Last edited by Bushrat; 11-13-2010, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X