Do I need to eat more fruit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need to eat more fruit?

I have been 100% primal for a week now. I have been feeling great all the way up until yesterday when I decided to eat less fruit at meals and more greens instead. Well yesterday as well as today I did not have the energy that I did all week. The only thing I changed was the fact that I decided to eat more raw greens and less fruit. I cut out fruit all together. Could I be feeling bad because of not enough carbs? I feel tired and lightheaded.

If you enjoy fruit and it causes you no noticeable harm, then you should keep your diet. I'm not a doctor or a nutritionist or anything, but I believe that there is little reason to fear fruit unless you're eating massive quantities in addition to significant amounts of fat and protein.

Comment

I've noticed that when I eat fruit, it affects my weight loss negatively. The first year or so primal it wasn' really a problem, but when it got to the last 20-30 pounds i needed to lose, I couldn't get rid of it until I'd take long breaks from fruit.

Comment

No.

It's not the fruit, it's not the carbs. There's plenty people here eating no fruit at all (like me). I have tons of energy, even after a day of fasting. It's something else, maybe lack of sleep, stress.. or if you're new to the diet, then it could be the low carb-flu. Should go away in a couple weeks.

Comment

missprimal,

How much fruit were you eating at first? If it was a lot, then perhaps your body has not had the opportunity to switch over to fat-burning for energy, yet.

Comment

I was eating an apple in the morning, snack on a few strawberries and then a green smoothie with two eggs for another meal. Ofcouse I would have some meat inbetween.

Comment

I consume fruit regularly, and use it prior to workouts as an energy boost.

So...based upon my personal experience...I would say that this could be a reason for the drop in your energy levels.

Comment

Originally posted by missprimaldiva View Post
                I have been 100% primal for a week now. I have been feeling great all the way up until yesterday when I decided to eat less fruit at meals and more greens instead. Well yesterday as well as today I did not have the energy that I did all week. The only thing I changed was the fact that I decided to eat more raw greens and less fruit. I cut out fruit all together. Could I be feeling bad because of not enough carbs? I feel tired and lightheaded.
                I think anything any of us could say could only be a guess, because there's nothing to tell us the amounts here.

Also, I agree with post 4, where the poster says that it could be something else, such as sleep.

I don't believe there's any need for anyone to cut out fruit completely - after all, it's a good and readily available source of some nutrients. And why ignore the fact that most of it tastes good? However, I think it is something to go easy on. As you perhaps know, fruit sugar - fructose - is somewhat problematic in a way even other carbohydrates aren't:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

I think one can work on the basis that fruit juice is probably best avoided most of the time, because it's just too concentrated. As for fruit itself, I'd guess eating something like between one and three small servings a day and tending to prefer fruits that are not too over-bred and sugary, should be fine.

It's probably better not to over-complicate and over-medicalize eating, so rough rules of thumb are probably best. But if you want to quantify it more you can plug your foods into Fitday for a week and see how many grams of carbohydrate you're taking in compared to Mark's Carbohydrate Curve suggestions:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-p...ate-continuum/

If you're below 100 g of carbohydrate a day, or even at 100-150 g a day, there's no problem. Some 75 g of blueberries - a good big handful - would only be around eleven grams of carbs; half a grapefruit, around 13 g. That's more than, say, salad greens, but hardly exorbitant.

If you're eating enough in calorific terms, getting moderate protein, and an adequate amount of "good" fats, as well, then your food's on track in macronutrient terms and any tiredness that results from adaptation should just go away. But you probably don't need to check numbers on such things - eating the right foods till you feel you've had enough should do the trick.

Comment

Probably simply the carb-flu, the body becoming fat adapted and used to deal with fat as a source of energy.

It should go away pretty soon.
                  Get great paleo diet lifestyle tricks, recipes and cooking tips. My contribution to the paleo movement.

Comment

My energy SUCKED because I wasn't eating enough carbs. Just saying...blaming everything on the carb flu is equivalent to raw food vegans dumping their problems as "detoxing effects". Let's stop this nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by fidelity View Post
                      My energy SUCKED because I wasn't eating enough carbs. Just saying...blaming everything on the carb flu is equivalent to raw food vegans blaming their lack of energy due to detox. Let's stop this nonsense.
                      No need to get angry. The thing is, it makes no sense not to be able to go without carbs for a while. You would die very quickly in the wild. Of course, you might have some genetic predispositions or a specific condition that I'm not aware of, but for a healthy person there is no reason low carb should be a problem.
                      Get great paleo diet lifestyle tricks, recipes and cooking tips. My contribution to the paleo movement.

Comment

I am not angry just expressing my passion and hoping to let people know that low carb isn't the panacea its made out to be. We aren't machines, we need different ratio's of macro-nutrients everyday which depends on our stress levels, amount of activity, etc. If you are weight training to gain mass for example, low carb is inferior to moderate levels of carbs and starches for reaching your goals. This is coming from the scope of someone who had severe adrenal fatigue however.

Comment

How about we just say that everyone is a little different?
                          I haven't had adrenal fatigue like you have, but I AM in recovery from severe metabolic syndrome.
                          Our needs are different, right?

For me, too many carbs SUCKS, but you do well on them. I really think there's a lot of room within the PB for everyone to find their sweet spot

Comment

Originally posted by kuno1chi View Post
                            How about we just say that everyone is a little different?
                            I haven't had adrenal fatigue like you have, but I AM in recovery from severe metabolic syndrome.
                            Our needs are different, right?

For me, too many carbs SUCKS, but you do well on them. I really think there's a lot of room within the PB for everyone to find their sweet spot
                            Finally, a sensible post.

Yes there is less than (0.1%) one tenth of one percent genetic difference between us as human individuals but that is sufficient to allow us to be different enough to have different skin, hair, and eye colors, to have different body shape and size, to respond differently to various environmental stimuli such as sunshine, and yes even carb intake.

To say that everyone needs carbs just because they do is just myopic in thinking that everyone reacts the same. That is no different than the vegans saying that because we are so similar to apes we should eat like gorillas do. Let's stop this nonsense.
                            Last edited by Asturian; 08-26-2010, 05:00 AM.
                            “It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
                            —Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

One thing, which is kinda simple, and has not as much to do with the whole carbs/no carbs debate is have you tried just eating more food, without changing what you are eating? It could just be that you were getting more food energy from the food you were eating when you ate more fruit, and you're not getting as much food energy when you switch over to focus on foods without the added boost of sugar. I mean, an apple seems like a lot less food than 3 cups of raw kale, but they have roughly the same calorie count.

In other words, if you're feeling out of fuel, just add more fuel, don't change the type necessarily.

Comment

Working...
                              X