Coconut Bliss

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coconut Bliss

Rarely does a product's self-assured name actually match the experience one gets when eating it. But the fatty Coconut Bliss ice-cream-like dessert does live up to its name: it's not only blissful, it's filling. (I only had 1/2 cup today, well within my 75 carb limit for today.)

Has anyone tried it? I'm hoping that this is something I can continue to return to when I crave ice cream.

I'm new to the primal lifestyle, and it's possible I'm missing some red flags in the nutritional info (http://www.coconutbliss.com/html/nutrition.html). Any advice would be appreciated--even if it means this treat is evil in some way.

I agree with you that it's amazingly yummy! But. . .the agave nectar is definitely a sugar, and there are many who would say it's just as bad as sugar, fructose, etc. There are some coconut ice cream recipes online, and I'm going to try making one with Stevia rather than any other sweetener and see how it goes.

As always, you have to take a look at how it affects YOU and see if it's worth it. My problem is, I can eat the whole pint at one sitting!

Comment

Fascinating. I need to learn more about agave nectar.

Let me know which recipe you find--and how it goes.

Yeah. I could eat the whole pint in one sitting, too! My trick has been to eat it verrrrrrrrry slowly. Plus, knowing I have to put down what I ate in my journal helps too.

Comment

it's great stuff, and to be honest, the 1/2 cup serving only has 12 to 13 grams of sugar... its pretty much all frutose so if your gunna have it, on those days cut out the fruits and stick to all green veggies. that way, you wont be overdoing the frutose.

agave nectar is fine in small amounts and moderation, but just dont have it on the same days you have alot of fruit. its ideal to keep fructose low as most fruits only have about 3-4 grams of it.

but yeah, cocounut bliss is great. i have the mint flavor at home and since its so good, the 1/2 cup serving is perfectly satisfying.

i'd say go for it, maybe once a week or so. when you really really want it.

Comment

As has been discussed here, agave "nectar" is made just like HFCS with heat and enzymes, and the resulting product is up to 90% fructose. Agave nectar is a marketing ploy and success of the first degree. It sounds so wholesome, like just the juice of the agave. It isn't.

It is also notoriously dirty, often containing impurities and outright crud because of the total lack of oversight of the industry in Mexico.

But I agree with billman, all things, even fructose, in moderation.

Comment

Agnieszka, here's an article on Agave Nectar - it's just as bad as HFCS.

http://www.naturalnews.com/024892.html

But you can make coconut ice cream at home, I did 2 days ago. Just blend a can of coconut milk with strawberries in a blender and freeze it. I ate it after an hour of setting it in the freezer and the texture was slushy and good. Last night, it was frozen hard like a rock. If you have an ice-cream maker, it'll give you good result. But for the texture, what I made tasted fine. You can play with the flavors/fruit.

Comment

Here's a recipe I found last night. I haven't tried it, but it looks simple. I'm also planning to susbtitute stevia or erythritol to sweeten it, instead of agave nectar, or just use less of the nectar.

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/...e-cream-2.html

Comment

I tried the So Decadent coconut milk ice cream last weekend, and while it hit the ice cream craving spot, it had a decidedly chemical taste even though all the ingredients were "organic" and there were only a few in there (though "natural flavors" was in there too, what is that anyway? I didn't like it)...so I decided it wasn't worth it to pay $5.50 for another pint ever again. But maba, I think I'll find some coconut milk (I'm sure Whole Foods has one with no added stuff...I hope anyway) and make my own! That sounds way better

You are what you eat,
                and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

Thanks, all.

Billman89, yes, it's not that much fructose.

OnTheBayou: yikes, I did *not* want to know that. Could I please go back to ignorance, which is (Coconut) Bliss? Sigh. I guess not.

I'll *slowly* finish off my pint, but in the meantime, thanks so much maba and JulieD for the recipes. I don't have an ice-cream maker, but can definitely toss coconut milk and strawberries in the blender and then the freezer. I can't wait to see how that will turn out.

Thanks for the tip, hannahc, on what to stay away from. I hate it when the supposedly "natural" flavors turn out to taste chemically.

Comment

I've been eating this stuff ever since Skwigg raved about it on her blog about a month ago. I've tried all the flavors; my favorite is Naked Coconut, followed closely by the Dark Chocolate Hazelnut.

The only thing keeping me from eating a whole pint at a time is the price. The best I've found is Oliver's Market, which is $5.69 a pint, ouch!

Comment

'Just blend a can of coconut milk with strawberries in a blender and freeze it.'

I'll have to try this - I'll use frozen strawberries and use the Vitamix so I won't have to wait for the freezer :-)

Sounds awesome

Cheers

J

Comment

It may be that agave is high in fructose etc., but I don't think a little bit at a time is going to blow one's diet or carb count for the day. I use a 1/2 tbsp in my avocado, coconut milk & coffee shakes. It takes off a bit of the edge of the avocado.

Comment

I took a blender, pureed some ripe mangos, then added 1 quart of organic raw cream and some vanilla. I then put this mixture into my ice cream maker and let it run about 20 minutes. It was one of the best ice creams I have every had and sweet enough for our family. The grandkids loved it and asked to take the rest of it home with them.

Comment

redforevergone; I agree with you, many of my posts here have been trying to get less scientifically literate folks to understand it is not only WHAT but HOW MUCH of these little nasties enter our bodies.

I have to take issue with avocado having an "edge." Huh?

I just had a quarter alligator pear (cracker for Florida type avocado)with fresh lime juice on it. Sprinkled some Xylitol on it, oh my. You can also use Stevia. Look Ma, no fructose! (Or calories!)

Comment

I just wanted to say I just blended a cup of frozen blueberries and a 1/2 cup coconut milk and it was delicious

Comment

Working...
                              X