No announcement yet.

A Must See - Bitter Truth On Sugar

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark please put this in the next weekend link post!

He even talks about the paleo diet xD

1hour 15 min 16 sek

This guy makes the whole topic interesting, funny and deep.

Comment

I'll have to watch this at home tonight. This thread makes me curious :-).

Comment

^^

x2

Comment

It's well worth the time! Fructose is Ethanol/Alcohol without the Buzz!

Comment

...and all the hangover

Comment

...Wow. That is extremely informative and useful. I can't believe all the damage I did to myself through the years of corn-syrup consumption. All those packaged cupcakes that my grandmother used to get off the pet racks and send over... none of us knew any better, but still, she was poisoning us. And I was making it worse, sometimes eating two of those things a day. Add to that the breakfast cereal with granulated sugar, the sandwiches, the breaded-chicken sandwiches and salads with sugary low-fat dressing...

I am SO glad I got off the Road to Fail.

Comment

GeriMorgan, go easy on yourself.

If you are referring to old fashioned, been around 100+ years, make pecan pies corn syrup, it is just glucose. With our huge corn crops we make it by using an enzyme to split the corn starch molecule into two, there is glucose. Our own bodies do that when we consume corn (or other) starch.

In France, they get the same kind of product form grapes. just grape juice boiled down to syrup.

OTOH, HFCS is a whole new thing. While obstensibly just like table sugar (sucrose) in its glucose/fructose ratio, our livers don't deal with it well because the molecules are reversed! I.e., a right hand spiral is left handed!

I'm not saying huge amounts of glucose is good for you, I'm just saying it's part of fruit. Once again, moderation is the key. OTOH, if you want to avoid anything that is a mono or disaccaride sugar, I'll respect that.

Comment

I was wondering about kyro syrup as a substitute for sugar in my wife's coffee after watching this. So I checked the bottle in the cabinet (not 100yo but close) but guess what is in it! Corn Syrup (the glucose kind) and our old friend HFCS. Is there a source of straight glucose?

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Comment

Sir Grandma: Glucose is sold in baking shoppes and places like hobby lobby/ jo anns/ wilton. It an ingredient in fondant and used for cake construction. You could probably get it at a vitamon shoppe too (like GNC?). Also, there are glucose packets diabetics carry around too... dont know too much about those though.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Comment

Primalmom- I use Wegman's brand. It's a grocery store we have here in the northeast. I won't move anywhere that doesn't have a Wegman's. Luckily they're expanding into Virginia.

Comment

This guy kinda screws up a lot of stuff. In the glucose metabolism segment he says that VLDL is what causes heart disease, after he just got done saying large fluffy LDL is perfectly healthy..which is the same thing as VLDL. Also Ancel Keys was on the cover of Time in 1960, not 1980.

He's also kind of tunneling on fructose, when omega-6 fats have a lot of the same effects. But it bugs me that he screws up a lot of simple stuff that anybody who's read GCBC would know.

Comment

grandma, the last time I checked Kayro (sp?) syrup a few months ago, it was all corn syrup plus vanilla flavoring. I have seen other brands that used HFCS plus the corn syrup. Why the one you looked at? Who knows. Newer stock?

Frankly, at the amounts we Primals would use any of this, I don't think the specific sugars matter a whole bunch.

Comment

I just looked. It is KARO light corn syrup. It lists corn syrup, HFCS, vanilla as ingredients. I see on the web site that light corn syrup no longer has HFCS. It also says that it is 15-20% glucose and other types of sugars.

Anyway, my interest is for a non-primal who uses more sugar than I would like to see.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Comment

@Nick: I don't believe VLDL and LDL are the same. VLDL is atherogenic as it's small in size but large LDL is fluffy and not atherogenic (Source: GCBC).

Great video!

Comment

Yeah, I guess you're right (checked my copy of GCBC). VLDL seems to primarily carry triglycerides though. I find the terminology needlessly confusing when we go and say 'large, fluffy' (i.e. not dense at all) LDL is super awesome for you, and then say dense (i.e. polyunsaturated/oxidizable) LDL is bad for you, and then go tack on another term for low density LDL that sounds like the first category, but is bad for you. Biologists are terrible about naming stuff in ways that is non-intuitive and needlessly complex, though.

My impression is that in this context VLDL == lipoprotein containing triglycerides made via de novo lipogenesis as a result of carb consumption.

Anyway, I finished watching the rest of the lecture after my last post, and I have to say I really, really dig the comparison of ethanol and fructose. When you lay it all out like that fructose is really way more like ethanol than it is like glucose.

I just wish the guy didn't say 'okay?' really quickly and condescendingly under his breath (although being condescending to a bunch of med students is fine with me, I guess almost as his standard 'uh' or 'hmm' noise though.

Comment

Working...
                                X