Going camping next week, help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going camping next week, help

We are going camping for three to five days next week (well renting a yurt for three, then possibly tent camping the rest of the time) and I need help devising a food plan for me. Camping to me has always meant lots of pb &j sandwiches, granola bars , apples, instant oatmeal and other foods that require little to no refrigeration. My primal diet now consists mostly of foods that spoil easily. Not sure what to do as we have a Honda accord plus five people plus gear..not much room for a giant cooler!

When I camp I do best when I bring lots of pre-prepared foods. You will need to try and squeeze in the best size cooler you can, but the good news is 90% of the food would be in there. To conserve space, pre-prepare foods and put them in ziplock bags and stack them tightly in the cooler.

-Chopped up raw veggies for snacking and grilling
    -Take a couple whole chickens, cut up, place in a marinade (if not cooking the chicken for a few days, place the marinade in one bag, chicken in another)
    -Easy grill meats like steaks, sausage, pork chops
    -Deli meats and cheeses for lunch roll ups
    -You can precook some breakfast sausage and just warm it up with eggs in the morning
    -If eggs are hard to cook at the camp, Bring hard boiled eggs

The key to getting this all in a cooler is to prep ahead, do all the chopping and cleaning at home, repackage everything into ziplock bags, flatten and compress the air out. Most of this will stack well, you can put on the top things like romaine lettuce (travels well)....great for meat and cheese roll ups, salads. If you want salads, you might pre chop the components except the lettuce, and have those bagged and premix a dressing in a jar. Then you just need to tear the lettuce, toss in veggies, eggs, avo etc...

Additionally, bring non chilled munchies like nuts, pork rinds, lara bars as a treat, avocados (just have to find a cushy place for them to travel). Bring sweet potatoes and foil and cook them in a campfire.

OR, if you really just don't have room in the cooler, you can take whole veggies that do not need to be cooled and cut them up on site (zuch, tomatoes, peppers, cucumber...). Will mean more work and maybe more supplies at camp, but might save you cooler space if it gets that tight and you focus on meats in the cooler.

When it comes to water, keep it out of the cooler until you make space as you eat. Or just put a couple servings in to chill.

I like to keep my cooking supplies minimal....so I plan lots of meals on the grill, bring one fry pan for breakfast, and I bring the bare minimum of dishes and utensils needed. Write out your meals, what would be needed for each (tongs, spatula, etc), figure out what you could use as a multitasker, and minimize what you need to bring. I bring a baggie of basic seasonings (salt, pepper, and then what I need for my meals...garlic powder, cayenne, thyme, and paprika are my standbys, maybe cinnamon for your sweet potato)...but I put these in teeny snack bags, I do not bring jars. I bring say 1-2 dishtowels, but I multipurpose them and wrap up my tomatoes and avocados for the trip. I bring butter in the cooler and sometimes olive oil in a small jar.

Usually for 3 days of camping I end up with a SMALL plastic tub of kitchen gear & non refridge goods and a cooler. For grilling, we take either an adjustable grate to go over the fire or a mini grill.

Good luck, enjoy your trip!!
    Erin
    Daily Vlogs
    Primal Pets Blog

Comment

If a cooler really isn't an option, you could always bring jerky or pemmican and other dehydrated foods (fruits, vegetables) and a few nuts for some variety. You can make jerky stew with jerky meat and dehydrated veggies.

Comment

My granny used to form country sausage into balls about 1 in in diameter, fry them up, put them in a jar and then pour the grease over them. Called it "canned sausage". The stuff would keep for months, and in a pinch could be eaten with just a spoon. That's what I would take.

Those days are gone I guess. Folks got convinced that fat clogs the arteries. But maybe it will come back around again. The way I figure is that my granny knew more about how to eat than my Mom, and that my granny's Mom knew even more than her.

Comment

Sardines!

Comment

bump -going camping next week
            My journal
            7/5/11 -Size 14;
            1/10/12 -Size 4

Comment

Resurrecting this one...

I'm going to a hippy festival with communal vegetarian meals.

What can I take on the side?
              I have previously taken cheese and nuts on away trips but they don't quite hit the right spot and can make me feel crap. Jerky is a possibility if I can find the right cut of beef to dry (tips anyone?). Pemmican is then possible as I do have grass fed tallow. A bit of fruit / fatty larabar type things perhaps?

I have no cooler bar an insulated bag/box; no cooking gear of my own.

I also feed my dog raw, so there's an added complication! I don't mind raw meat myself actually.... How long does supermarket meat last at room temp?

Comment

Use low fat cuts of meat like round.
                Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Comment

You have 2-4 hrs of safe room temp raw meat...at best..depending on the temperature extremes. Dehydrate it into jerky for travel. Or figure out how to rank in cooler space. Steak should pull rank....IMHO...lol

Comment

Heart makes GREAT jerky. Seaweed is also a good snack (kelp, dulse or nori) along with trail mix, plus it's really light. If all else fails, you can take a good protein powder that tastes ok just in water!

Comment

Jerky would be top on the list, maybe some salami or dried meats.....traditional cured if you can find it, least amount of preservatives if you cannot. Tinned meats like fish or chicken work great. Check out backpacker meals as well. MOST of them will be mostly carbs, but if you dig around you can find a few options. Powdered eggs, meats for wraps (just don't include the wrap), or veggies on their own.

For jerky I like to use london broil

For the dog, you might get some freeze dried food to last you a few days. Its pricey but will get you buy in a pinch. You can take some food already frozen and put it in a cooler or insulated bag, and that will last a day or two, and then the freeze dried food from there. If you bury the frozen food in a ground hole you might get a bit longer, but that of course says you have no predators dig it up.
                      Erin
                      Daily Vlogs
                      Primal Pets Blog

Comment

Originally posted by divafern View Post
                        We are going camping for three to five days next week (well renting a yurt for three, then possibly tent camping the rest of the time) and I need help devising a food plan for me. Camping to me has always meant lots of pb &j sandwiches, granola bars , apples, instant oatmeal and other foods that require little to no refrigeration. My primal diet now consists mostly of foods that spoil easily. Not sure what to do as we have a Honda accord plus five people plus gear..not much room for a giant cooler!
                        Camping is the best time to go hardcore paleo!!

Steaks and vegetables roasted in the campfire like a real caveman! and if you can go fishing and catch something, then you're really living the lifestyle! All you need is some tinfoil and butter.

I love camping and I have no idea why camping would need to involve granola bars and sandwiches! Apples aren't bad though.

Comment

Freeze your meat then put it in the center of the cooler. It'll gradually thaw and last at least a couple days. Make sure that everything you put in the cooler is either frozen or cold. Avos, apples, jerky and such go somewhere else since you don't want this stuff sucking up the cold.

Comment

pemmican is best, make it from top round and 100% grassfed tallow. YouTube - Pemmican Part 1/2

if not,

jerkey
                            canned sardines
                            nuts, macademia if you can afford them (others are O6 heavy)
                            avocado
                            coconuts, and a big knife
                            coconut oil, and a spoon to eat it with
                            Quest Low Carb Protein Bars <-- processed food, under the 20 of the "80/20 rule"?

primal bars you can share with vegetarians Primal Energy Bar Redux: Making a Better Bar | Mark's Daily Apple

kale chips are easy to make and last well, Dinner and a Movie meatza and kale chips if you make them from "red" kale, the stems dont make good chips but theyre yummy steamed with a little butter.

hunt and gather

Comment

Working...
                            X