No announcement yet.

Coconut oil - massive temperature increase, nausea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to ingest coconut oil all the time with no problem. Lately when I go to take a tbsp of the stuff I literally feel like throwing up. I mean just thinking about it sometimes makes me want to throw up. I am not sure what changed, but it sure isn't the quality of my coconut oil, which is usually just nutiva. Also, the smell of coconut oil gets on my nerves, if I cook with it and the smell lingers I almost can't stomach my food. Weird...
    You don't have to be sick to get well

Comment

Add me to the list of those who get nauseous if they overdo the CO. Not fun, but it passes after a few hours.

Comment

Had 2 tablespoons last night, still nauseated.

Comment

When I was a coconut oil newbie, I experienced the heat, but not the nausea.

Now as a coconut oil oldie, no more. I can eat a good 6 tbs of th stuff and not feel any different.

Comment

I feel nauseous when I take co myself and I've taken it for a couple years now. I would have stopped because of that except I get great energy from it and it helps me not feel cold (and that happens to me often). If I take too much it *ehem* goes right through me still. The benefits for me far outweigh the discomfort but I have sometimes wondered if co isn't for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by sarak View Post
              I feel nauseous when I take co myself and I've taken it for a couple years now. I would have stopped because of that except I get great energy from it and it helps me not feel cold (and that happens to me often). If I take too much it *ehem* goes right through me still. The benefits for me far outweigh the discomfort but I have sometimes wondered if co isn't for everyone.
              Yeah I'm wondering if it's something I should just give up on though I haven't had the nausea every time I've used it, sometimes I just get a headache.
              Am really wondering about the effect it has on parasites like giardia. Years ago I read all that Hulda Clark stuff; she seems to think everyone has a lot of parasites.

Comment

[QUOTE=Sihana;839086]It goes away after your body gets used to it, but to get used to it, you need to dial up dosages, so to speak.

I've upper the dosage over time but still if Ihave more than I'm used to it isn't good. Sometimes I take it in my black coffee, sometimes with a meal....sometimes not. I cook my food with the lard and tallow I render here on our grassfed farm and I prefer that to cooking with co. I will also add I don't handle the texture of the oil at.all. or any oil for that matter, the mouthfeel make me gag. I do consume tons of fat but if I can feel the oily texture in my mouth I gag. I followed WAP since about 2000 and started using the co a few years later. I've been somewhere between WAP and Primal since and had 6 children in that time so I think I really just don't like it in my tummy lol. I've honestly tried every suggestion I've read here over the years on consuming it and still I have the same experience. I have not tried applying it topicAl and will do that next because it might just be a solution for me. I do believe it is beneficial for me but I don't love it. I've used Nutiva in the past and currently have Green Pastures sincoe I happened to be making a FCLO order at the same time and it's the same.

Thanks for the info and the reply

Comment

Oh and one big reason I chose NOT to give it up......Ive been working 8-10 hours a day outside in full sun. I have very light skin and if I don't use co and my other fats I BURN. If I eat (not tried using as sunscreen yet) co and keep up my other oils I get tan but thats it. I never wear sunscreen and am outside like this sometimes 7 days a week so that is a very motivating reason to stick with It.

Comment

The nausea story has thread on forums all over the Internet, just sooo weird. I mean really, coconut oil is GROSS.

Comment

I find coconut milk (in a can) nauseating, and when I ran out of tallow recently I added a block of coconut fat into the chip pan. It caused the chips to start boiling over and has affected their flavour with a funny nuttiness that is indeed slightly nauseating. I will be using straight tallow from now on. Suet is cheap.
                      Last edited by billp; 05-22-2012, 08:35 AM.

Comment

I'm curious - why eat coconut oil straight? I definitely like it, and incorporate it into meals to add some healthy fat (especially if I'm having a very lean piece of meat), but I do this by using it on potatoes, sweet potatoes, and other things (and by cooking with it). Is there supposed to be an advantage in eating it straight versus other ways?
                        LastBottleWines

Comment

Coconut oils and any products containing coconut are banned from our household. I used to use a recommended, unprocessed coconut oil for cooking as well as other coconut products. As far as I know, I have no problem with coconut. A young member of our household, however, became extremely ill from coconut, although we do not know if it's the coconut itself or some unlisted ingredient that is used in processing the coconut. His reaction was initially mild, but over a few weeks his reaction to coconut progressed to something systemic and severe, and we have since had to eliminate all coconut products from the house (even soaps). If you feel sick with coconut, it might be wise to look for an alternative oil. I strongly believe some people just cannot tolerate coconut.

Comment

Working...
                          X