Here's a dumb question..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's a dumb question..

I want ribs REALLY bad. Are ribs from places like Sonny's TOTALLY bad for you because they're smoked?

I get them dry, so no sauce on them.

the source of the pork could be a concern, but part of the 80/20 rule take some fishoil to balance out the omega-6 to -3 ratio....I would be more concerned with the BBq sauce or marinade they put on it...if it's a dry rub I'd want to know too (ie no added sugar)

Comment

If you order it dry, there's no sauce on it at all. It also says on the website that a lunch order of ribs has 3 carbs.

The sliced pork has <1 carb for the lunch or dinner, so I&#39;m guessing it has to have a rub on it.

Maybe the sliced pork would be a better choice then,

Comment

sorry missed the part about dry at first...3 carbs is less than a gram...I think you are safe, especially across a rack of ribs...

Comment

3 carbs is 3 g of carb....

Comment

okay, so 12 cals...still not a lot if you look at the total cals consumed, plus the fat and protein intake too

Comment

[quote]

Are ribs from places like Sonny&#39;s TOTALLY bad for you because they&#39;re smoked?</blockquote>

But are they smoked?

Some fast food is actually "smoke flavour". It&#39;s never really seen a smokehouse.

And what the heck else in there? MSG? glucose syrup? colouring? ...

One the one hand, I think you could go a little crazy trying to make sure nothing was ever wrong or unnatural about your food. On the other, so much of what&#39;s on offer now is so unnatural that you have to keep making exceptions ... and it all adds up.

Everyone has to make their own call on these things. It&#39;s a lot of work to make things from scratch yourself, but I tend to more now. I bet homemade ribs would be cheaper, healthier, and taste far better.

Comment

Oh it IS smoked. It&#39;s a bbq restaurant, not a fast food place. That&#39;s all they do.

Comment

One of my great joys now is pulled pork from "Smoky Jon&#39;s" here in Madison. I get it sauce on the side and add just a dribble. So Good I don&#39;t even miss the cornbread! I&#39;m sure the pork is grain-fed but I consider this an indulgence and count it in my 20%.

Comment

I&#39;m no expert but don&#39;t alot of rib recipes require alot of brown sugar for color?

I&#39;m basing this on the man v food series. Amazing what foods have sugar in, like coleslaw and pulled pork

Comment

I don&#39;t know of any BBQ sauce recipe that doesn&#39;t have sugar in some form in it. It not only sweetens, but if put on in final minutes (K.C. style) carmelizes for a different flavor. Many commercial sauces use HFCS. Sweetness is an essential part of the flavor of pulled pork.

Brown sugar is not used for color, if at all.

I have tried pulled pork with Low Sodium Dale&#39;s Marinade, very low in sugar, and stevia. Frankly, barely edible.

My latest jag on sauces is taking Korean BBQ sauce and reduce it until much thicker. Yum, yum. Yes, it has sugar in it. My take on BBQ sauces and the sugars they contain is that 1), I only eat this every two or three weeks, and 2) the amount of sugar on a small bit of ribs is very small, and 3) since the sugars are being consumed with lots of fat and other foods, there is essentially no insulin response out of the ordinary. Less than eating a piece of fruit, probably.

For the purists, I know that won&#39;t do. Otherwise, think of it as being in that 20% tolerance for "cheating." Probably more like 5%.

There may be "diabetic" sauces w/o the sugar, but I&#39;ve not seen any. If I can locate some xanthum or other gum to thicken, I&#39;m going to work on this.

Comment

That&#39;s why I get them without sauce on them. They serve them dry or with sauce.

Comment

I smoke my own ribs. No way I would ever give up ribs. It&#39;s not that hard BTW.

Comment

I&#39;m tempted to buy one of this little smokers I see at Wal-mart for like $60. Would be nice to make my own smoked ribs, pork and chicken.

Comment

I think you all are giving me a great idea for the recipe video contest! I have a great rib recipe, no sugar or smoker needed; just an oven and a grill to finish them. One tip for making a bbq sauce with a hint of sweetness is to use tomato paste or puree in the base. Tomatoes are a naturally sweet fruit and caramelize nicely over some hot charcoal.

Comment

Working...
                              X