Here's a dumb question..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LMG,

I can't imagine something like that doing the job. I'm good friends with a professional BBQer and when I asked him about making my own smoker he told me to get a Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker. It was $200 but it does a great job, is easy and reliable. I highly recommend it.

Comment

There's a difference between the use of a smoker and getting smoked flavor into meats as they cook.

A good old fashioned Weber kettle does either, just fine, thank you very much. It's not rocket science. It's all in technique. I can even get good results with my cheap-o $20 tiny grill. Again, all in the techniques.

The absolute, very best site for all things outdoor cooking is www.amazingribs.com . You can spend many, many hours there (I have!) reading up on each topic.

There are a lot of good woods for smoking, of course. But after lots of experimentation, I've settle on apple wood. And here's the good news if you live where crab apple trees grow: it's exactly the same as the fruit wood!

Mesquite? It's a weed wood and a weed smoke. I guess if I lived where it grew and I had nothing else, I'd use it. But it has a weird off flavor.

Comment

Agreed on the mesquite. I use apple, hickory or both.

Comment

Working...
        X