Canola oil versus light olive oil

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canola oil versus light olive oil

Which is worse? I'm reconsidering my egregious abuse of the trader joe's mayo, but I'd need to make my own to fill the void. No way am I going to eat mayo made with evoo, and I can't justify spending even more money on fancy oils, which pretty much leaves light olive oil. Is light/extra light olive oil still better than canola?

Why won't you make it out of EVOO? You can get quality EVOO at fairly low prices these days. Light olive oil is like light coconut milk: worthless. Canola oil should not even be consumed.
    --
    Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

Comment

Because it tastes ungood - I don't hate evoo, but I don't love it, and the few times I've made mayo/aioli with it, it's been way too strong for my liking. Sorry, I forgot to include that.

Comment

I presume she's referring to the strong flavor. Light olive oil is much more neutral. Not too many folks are fond of the taste of mayo made with a strong tasting olive oil.

I think some have used avocado oil.

I personally wouldn't worry about the pure olive oil unless the rest of your diet is already that pure.

Comment

go with the olive oil. Seed oils are full of omega 6s.
          - Follow me on Twitter | Read my blog! - www.PaleOZ.com -

Free Robb Wolf Paleo Meal Generator for iPhone
          IF Timer - The Original Intermittent Fasting iPhone App

Comment

I'm a dood, mang. I'll try the light olive oil - never bought the stuff before.

Comment

I've made mayo with light olive oil--and it's delicious. Once I didn't have any, so I tried my EVOO--it was dreadful (and I love olive oil). It gives the mayo a bitter taste.

Your best bet is the light olive oil--healthiest and delicious.

Comment

Yup, olive oil has a taste, and every olive grove taste different, like wine. I suggest you learn a little about evoo and find one you like because refined olive oil is not something suitable for consumption, or canola. said with a happy face.
                Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

Comment

i made mayo with extra virgin olive oil once and it tasted like straight up olive oil. not too good in my cole slaw or chicken salad

Comment

OP: I would go with pure OO over canola.

I agree that EVOO is not good for mayo. Not only is it incredibly bitter, but it's a waste of the good stuff. Some people have reported success with making EVOO from warm bacon grease. I have tried it, and it was good when fresh, but became quite solid after storing in the fridge. I've made softer (more like regular) mayo with pure olive oil. I'm not sure if it's a "healthy" oil though. Yeah it's olive oil, but it's much more refined and processed and, possibly, higher in omega-6 than EVOO (from what I've heard). Which is my long-winded way of saying: I don't know if there is an "ideal" oil for making mayo. Maybe macadamia nut oil.

Comment

i thought the light stuff was labeled better for sauteeing, cooking, etc. are there less free radicals and "bad stuff" released when cooking with light vs extra virgin? i'm confused.

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalB View Post
                        i thought the light stuff was labeled better for sauteeing, cooking, etc. are there less free radicals and "bad stuff" released when cooking with light vs extra virgin? i'm confused.
                        Yes. The way they make it "lighter" in taste (and color) is by heating and filtering it, often multiple times, which also removes some of the things in the oil that are damaged when heating it (I don't know what specifically). Since it's more "refined" a lot of people choose to avoid it. Doesn't really bother me, I use it for cooking sometimes, and would take it over canola ANY day!
                        "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Comment

I would use the canola oil (as motor oil in a pinch if I had no other alternative). It's not for human consumption though if you can avoid it. Restaurants haven't gotten that message though. I must admit that I used to like eating out a lot more than before I turned primal that I do now.
                          http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

I bought some walnut oil a while back, expensive but light and tasty. I'd imagine it would make good mayo. I'd rather throw a glop of sour cream on something than make my own mayo, though.
                            If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

http://www.myhealthhq.com/recipe/bac...hmmmm-so-good/
                              when in doubt...bacon!
                              Calm the f**k down.

Comment

Working...
                              X