New Foods You've Tried?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Foods You've Tried?

I find myself trying lots of new foods... some wonderful, some not so much.

- Mustard Greens - I really thought these would be amazing! Sauteed them up with a little garlic, but they were incredibly bitter (they tasted like bad medicine) - surely they're not supposed to eat them like that?

- I tried sea scallops for the first time last night! Did a ton of research on how to cook them, and tried searing them in butter with thyme, salt, pepper. Sounds good? The texture really, really didn't appeal to me at all... they felt so gelatinous, even after I cooked them.

On the other hand, so far I'm loving salmon (nope, had never had it before), almond butter is yummy, and my red ocra from the farmer's market is an interesting little salad addition! Oh, and chard, cooked right with olive oil and parmesan, is definitely worth doing again

So - what new things have you tried? And what did you think?

that's funny, i had mustards yesterday and thought the same. my old remedy of maple syrup to take the sting out of mustard greens - no longer an option! so, brainstorming here, something a bit sweet...i have stevia plant growing out front. or maybe some lemon juice to change up the flavor?

since all meat is new, i'm trying to figure out how i like it cooked and how to cook it. red meat. i think i like the taste when its bloody but visually not sold.

Comment

Oh god, where to start-
      beef kidney- didn't care for it. I think I may not've cleaned it right, but it was nasty.
      beef heart- delicious. Eating beef heart taco salad for dinner.
      Homemade stock- droolworthy
      yellow squash- nice mild gateway squash
      almond meal- handy
      coconut flour- handy
      concoctions with egg- some good, some I wouldn't recommend
      coconut, walnut, sesame oils, lard- I love these fats
      Whipped heaven- DROOL!!!!!
      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
      My Latest Journal

Comment

Re: issues with mustard greens-
        Tried sauteeing it with bacon or butter? I notice a slight peppery flavor, but no real bitterness.
        Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
        My Latest Journal

Comment

Yum, nice reply, naidaknight! i'm zooming into some alternative at week 4...thank you...

Comment

@naiadknight: I agree that beef heart really is delicious; dense, chewy, and very flavorful. Beef liver is good too. Especially with caramelized onions.

Comment

jendoe-

Try small scallops- they're waaaaay better. I think the big ones came into demand because of the American love of anything jumbo. Scallops have better texture and flavor when they're definitely small enough to pop into your mouth without having to slice.
              Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
              ~Borges

Comment

Oxtail soup, my buddy who is a practices his gourmet cooking on me and other friends fed this to me and it was wicked good.

PS: Sea scallops are awesome raw, give it a try.
                You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Comment

Scallops: love them! and I much prefer the large ones to the small ones (maybe cause grew up eating the big ones)
                  Mustard Greens: haven't tried them yet, but I've heard they're good braised

Comment

Here goes...

Jicama
                    Almond Flour
                    Coconut Milk/Coconut Oil
                    Almond Butter
                    Hard Boiled Eggs (tried them when I was younger, thought I hated them - tastes change!)
                    Avocado (had not eaten an avocado until 22, sad)
                    Spaghetti Squash
                    Canned Sardines
                    Canned Herring

Really need to try beef heart, they're only $1.80 at my grocery store!

Comment

beet greens
                      scallops
                      sardines
                      almond butter
                      almond flour
                      lamb liver
                      coconut milk
                      coconut oil
                      70%-95% dark chocolate
                      rare beef
                      jicama
                      celery root
                      parsnips (not really primal but this year was the first time I ate them)

And the only things I haven't really liked:
                      arugula
                      collard greens
                      "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Comment

turnips
                        rutabaga
                        beef liver
                        coconut anything
                        almond/coconut flour
                        jicama
                        100% cacoa bar
                        dill

i cant believe yall havent grown up with mustards and collards!!!!!!!!!! southern staple down here...it goes like baby formula, cornbread, bacon, greens hahah
                        Get on my Level
                        http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

had ox intestine last weekend. it was like meat candy!
                          .survive.then.win.

Comment

no it wasn't...really? please explain that experience...

Comment

bison (dang this is good)
                              coconut water
                              homemade kefir
                              pemmican
                              coconut oil

In the Southern US, greens are usually braised in bacon fat and sprinkled with malt vinegar to taste. This is remarkably tasty.

Comment

Working...
                              X