To toss or not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To toss or not?

Finishing up the big cleansing of non-Primal foods and I was left with a pile of questionables (at least for me).

Advice/opinions on whether to keep or toss?

-Kraft mayo (husband insists I ask, he's having anxiety with parting with it)
    -Molasses
    -Iodized Salt (I have plenty of Kosher salt, just wondering if there's a benefit to one over the other)
    -German Rock Sugar from Teavana - I'm not planning on using it all the first month, but I was hoping to eventually have it occasionally with my teas.

Thoughts are welcomed!

I say toss the mayo and keep the rest for use in extreme circumstances. Well, the sugar. Not sure about the salt, but don't see any reason to toss it.
    Check out my blog here.

Comment

ditch the mayo
      keep the molasses, it's not like it goes bad, and I dont *think* you'll be tempted to eat it by the spoonful, right?
      Iodized salt, Keep. It's good for making brine that you toss afterwards.
      German rock sugar! I love that stuff, keep it. I kept mine and use it on occasion, yum!

Good job btw if that's all the non-primal food you still have that's awesome!

Comment

overt health risks include:

the oil in the mayo (canola, some horrible seed oil, or soybean oil). That needs to be tossed yesterday! (sorry to the hubby....my BF is a tuna salad FREAK but he has survived with my occasional homemade mayo or aeoli(sp?) and now just prefers some light drizzling of olive oil with his tuna...........they can change, believe it or not!)

sugar in any form. It spikes insulin, appetite, leads to cravings for more more more sugar, stalls weightloss, and encourages cancerous cellular growth.

Comment

Throw it all out. Making home made mayo is a snap and tastes better, if you want a recipe, I've got a few. Salt is cheap, get yourself a few types of sea salts and your golden. The rest is sugar, regardless of how unprocessed it is, it's crap.......Yes this is tough love but someone had to tell you....cheers.
          Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

Comment

Lol, thanks.

We invited some friends over to take all our non-Primal food away. Three boxes!! Mostly whole-wheat grains, rices, cake mixes, various condiments and spices, then all the stuff from the fridge and freezer. I thought my husband was going to cry when his friend took his beer away. He's being a really great sport about this considering it's mainly my idea and desire. I let him have one last beer with his buddy.

Comment

BEER!.....you never mentioned beer.
              Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Chefgerry View Post
                BEER!.....you never mentioned beer.
                It's not allowed right? I thought it wouldn't be, as it's mainly made from wheat and barley? If it is, tell me now! You'll make my husband's month!

Comment

I still drink a beer on occasion. I have much less reaction to beer than to sugar or bread in most cases. I could never quit beer! We normally dont keep it around the house, unless we expect people over. I treat myself to a nice IPA on tap whenever Im out with friends. You still gotta enjoy life!
                  Natural Selection: http://ichoosenaturalselection.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Athena View Post
                    I still drink a beer on occasion. I have much less reaction to beer than to sugar or bread in most cases. I could never quit beer! We normally dont keep it around the house, unless we expect people over. I treat myself to a nice IPA on tap whenever Im out with friends. You still gotta enjoy life!
                    Oh, we will drink beer again I'm sure, lol. I just want to do the first month "hardcore" Primal before adding stuff back in like dairy, alcohol, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by caboose View Post
                      Oh, we will drink beer again I'm sure, lol. I just want to do the first month "hardcore" Primal before adding stuff back in like dairy, alcohol, etc.
                      this is smart. Best to do a quick strict paleo diet at first for at least a month, then add back things to test your body's reaction.

Comment

Look, I think it's best to forget the whole "allowed / not allowed" thing. This is not a diet. NOT a DIET. There are no hard and fast rules. It's more like: Beer isn't good for you, for xyz reasons. If you choose to keep drinking it, just remember you probably ought not to drink it very much. Otherwise, it becomes, "oh, I couldn't do that Paleo thing, you can't even drink beer on it." In fact, you can do whatever the frick you feel like doing. Just that some choices are less healthy than others.
                        I've lost 35lb in 5 months, easily, without entirely giving up beer or other alcohol, I even have the occasional bowl of rice or dinner out fried in who-knows-what. Soon I'll be going to Oregon and sweet corn is in season, you think I'm not going to have a couple ears straight out from mom's garden?
                        People gotta live and be happy, and everyone has to decide how to balance that for themselves. If you had taken away my beer in order to try out a new diet, I would NOT have been a happy husband.
                        If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

I've never thrown out my mayo. So sue me. Yeah, I know all the problems with it, but I have zero interest in making homemade mayo for salmon or chicken salad for a quick lunch for one once or twice a week. I do buy Spectrum organic expeller-pressed mayo as a slightly better option. A small amount isn't going to kill you. Really I don't drive myself crazy about primal condiments -- life is complicated enough. I'd just toss grains and starch and processed food (well, give them to a food pantry, don't just throw them out!) -- getting insanely purist from Day 1 seems like a recipe for failure to me.

Comment

Originally posted by PrairieProf View Post
                            I've never thrown out my mayo. So sue me. Yeah, I know all the problems with it, but I have zero interest in making homemade mayo for salmon or chicken salad for a quick lunch for one once or twice a week. I do buy Spectrum organic expeller-pressed mayo as a slightly better option. A small amount isn't going to kill you. Really I don't drive myself crazy about primal condiments -- life is complicated enough. I'd just toss grains and starch and processed food (well, give them to a food pantry, don't just throw them out!) -- getting insanely purist from Day 1 seems like a recipe for failure to me.
                            Ditto. My Helmann's mayo remains. It's not like I use it in huge quantities or all that often.

No idea why you'd toss the salt. ??? Yes, sea salt has more minerals but using regular salt isn't going to hurt you in any way. Kosher salt is still iodized (which is needed for proper thyroid function...sea salt, and all things from the sea, naturally contain iodine).

Honestly if that were me cleaning out the pantry I'd toss the sugar...and maybe the molasses. The only thing I'd use molasses for is cookies and I'm not going there. If I wanted to use a sweetener in tea I'd choose agave nectar or raw honey before using fancy table sugar.

Comment

Originally posted by tfarny View Post
                              Look, I think it's best to forget the whole "allowed / not allowed" thing. This is not a diet. NOT a DIET. There are no hard and fast rules. It's more like: Beer isn't good for you, for xyz reasons. If you choose to keep drinking it, just remember you probably ought not to drink it very much. Otherwise, it becomes, "oh, I couldn't do that Paleo thing, you can't even drink beer on it." In fact, you can do whatever the frick you feel like doing. Just that some choices are less healthy than others.
                              I've lost 35lb in 5 months, easily, without entirely giving up beer or other alcohol, I even have the occasional bowl of rice or dinner out fried in who-knows-what. Soon I'll be going to Oregon and sweet corn is in season, you think I'm not going to have a couple ears straight out from mom's garden?
                              People gotta live and be happy, and everyone has to decide how to balance that for themselves. If you had taken away my beer in order to try out a new diet, I would NOT have been a happy husband.
                              About 8 or 9 months of this, and I've allowed myself to occasionally eat what I want, with people I enjoy, in settings that are appropriate. And sometimes I've gone overboard. But I'm far healthier by all the measures of the copious amount of blood that's been drawn, and 50 pounds lighter.

If I couldn't have a few corn chips or half a cream puff at the fair or a bun at a barbecue every now and then, or tuna with mayo at a work function, or a taste of cake at a friend's birthday, or (gasp) all-natural ketchup on my liver and onions, and whatever--that wouldn't be sustainable for me, and I'd be back where I started or close to it, or taking a lot of drugs.

Why don't you compromise and USE UP the mayo, and enjoy it? If you eat a lot of it, it will be gone quickly; if you don't, it's not a big deal anyway. And then not buy any more, at least for a while.

Comment

Working...
                              X