Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Probiotics=bloating? ..and no weight loss.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probiotics=bloating? ..and no weight loss.

1. I have been Primal for 5 months and love it. I just started taking Primal Essentials about 2 weeks ago, and now I have bloating and a very noisy stomach (lower)! I am assuming it is the Probiotics? Is this normal? Are there some people who just do well with fermentation stuff? Will it go away?
    2. Also - On another subject, I needed to lose about 15lbs. Since PB, I have lost 8lb, but the last month I have maintained and not lost a thing - even though I am eating the same as the last 5 months! Why would it stop? I eat NO grains, have 2 tsp of Organic cane sugar in my coffee (with coconut milk), eggs, BAS for lunch, grilled meat and veggies for dinner (dk choc after dinner - could that be it? - or maybe the 2-3 glasses of wine?) I do follow FITDAY, and my carbs are in the 50gr range, fat and protein are 50% of diet. oh well, I won't give up, I feel great, just a little discouraged. I don't know what else I could give up!
    I walk 3 days a week, yoga 2 x's, weights 2x's - maybe "up" my cardio?

1. Yes--the probiotics are most likely causing the bloating and noisy stomach issues. Many of us have a huge lack of good bacteria in our guts, and an overgrowth of bad bacteria in our guts. There is definately an adjustment period of time when adding probiotics, esp if they are effective. You may want to back off and take a lower amount, upping the dose slowly. Not sure how much is the recommended daily amount, but I've opened capsules in the past in order to take a smaller amount of probiotics as I'm getting used to them. Since its lasted 2 weeks, I'd def. cut back a little and ease in a lot more gently, even if you are only taking 1/4 capsule a day, etc.

Another thought is that some folks react to FOS which is included in some probiotics--not sure if that one contains it. That might be something to look into as well if you feel like these are not normal body-adjusting-to-probiotics feelings...

2. The stall in weight loss could also be related to the adjustments your body is needing to make w/ the probiotics--I'd give yourself a little more time to transition to them b/4 worrying about the weight loss personally.
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

To continue losing weight, try ditching the sugar in your coffee and the wine and chocolate and see if that helps. You may be different, but 50g of carbs would definitely slow/stop any weight loss in me. Experiment.

Comment

I'd be way more suspicious of the 3 glasses of wine per day than a few tsp of sugar - alcohol appears to have some pretty serious affects on metabolism. Either way, ditching things you know are probably iffy for a few weeks is probably a good idea. At the very least save the wine for the weekends. Plateaus suck.

Comment

my stomach makes odd noises after probiotics too....very loud haha
          Get on my Level
          http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Oh yeah. Probiotics make my stomach sing the blues. I know I need to just stick it out, but they actually make me a little constipated, just adding to the misery. I did the "spit" test this morning and realized just how much candida is in my system. Yikes! So, I think I'll try the probiotics again. Maybe halving the pills.

Comment

Originally posted by jenda View Post
              Oh yeah. Probiotics make my stomach sing the blues. I know I need to just stick it out, but they actually make me a little constipated, just adding to the misery. I did the "spit" test this morning and realized just how much candida is in my system. Yikes! So, I think I'll try the probiotics again. Maybe halving the pills.
              what's the spit test?

I have noticed that I get gas/bloating from taking probiotics only on the days where I eat low carb. When I eat plenty of carbs (meaning roughly 100g)and take a probiotic at night I always wake up the next morning with a happy belly:] Maybe the carbs make the probiotics work better?...or not.

Comment

The spit test is a "test" where you spit into a glass of water first thing in the morning and look to see if your spit "grows legs." It's about as well loved/hated by different folks as cayenne lemonade fasting or the olive oil liver cleanse.

Comment

ditch the wine. I'm sure I read on a reputable blog that alcohol will kick you out of ketosis. Quite a few empty joules there. Or half to one glass with dinner maybe, but that way it'll be getting out of your system by sleep time. Two to three is a bit much.

Also there could be issues like stress, sleep (heck I wonder if moon cycles could have a metabolic effect?) so I wouldn't stress over a week without much loss - your diet really looks pretty clean apart from the wine . I'd be giving it a couple of weeks and then making adjustments.
                  If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat? Tom Snyder

Comment

upping your cardio will not do a damn thing if youre concerned about fat loss. cardio just improves cardiovascular strength. Fat loss is going to depend on what youre eating 95% of the time.

the alcohol at night is an issue. 3 glasses of wine is a lot of time youre forcing your body to deal with burning the toxin, ahem, I mean alcohol - drinking puts the brakes on any fat-burning processes for at least 1-2 hours per glass.

Comment

I wouldn't call the spit test reliable, to be honest. Apparently it was conjured up by the makers behind Threelac, meaning that people who do the test and find the little strands will be more likely to purchase their product. There's no scientific reasoning behind it, as far as I'm aware.

I will be buying some Lactobacillus Acidophilius capsules myself soon; is 3 billion a good number for active cultures? Perhaps that's another important factor to take into consideration.

Comment

how do you know when you dont need to take proiotics anymore? like how do you know they work or have worked? i do burp and stomach gurggle a ton from mine...

i have the NOW 10 billion probiotic caps
                        Get on my Level
                        http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Thank you for all the great feed back! What better time than Aug (Aug Primal Challenge) to start cutting out the wine (at least till I get to my goal weight!). I am also going to try my best to have my coffee with out the sugar.
                          I am having some eyelid surgery on the 16th of August, "they" told me to stop me Vitamin D and fish oil cause it thins the blood - so, I'm stopping everything until Sept 1. But I guess if the put me on antibiotics - I'll need those Probiotics again!!

Comment

PS: I am (female) 5'6 and weight 138, trying to get to 128, I think I still have fat to lose...

Comment

Originally posted by Lulubelle View Post
                              PS: I am (female) 5'6 and weight 138, trying to get to 128, I think I still have fat to lose...
                              I am 5'7' 125 and I eat pretty similar to you, EXCEPT for the wine and sugar.

Comment

Working...
                              X