Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outback Steakhouse Steak and Hunger Issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Outback Steakhouse Steak and Hunger Issues

    Let me first say that I do not eat out a whole lot, and every time I do it's paleo/primal. When I go to Outback for dinner I get the 12oz prime rib with outback style seasoning with au jus, with two sides of broccoli. I have no problem finishing it, but I am not hungry until literally the next day's dinner. Throughout the night and into the morning of the next day, my stomach feels weird. I can feel and hear rumblings in it, not a "hungry-rumbling" but more like "the food doesn't agree with me rumbling" (like what happens when I eat junk).

    I am 5'10 140lbs and am in the process of gaining weight, so this is obviously a problem for me when I am trying to hit at least 2,500 calories per day. I know the meat from Outback is grainfed, but all of the meat and fish I eat are, and I do not have any issues with meat/fish from any other restaurant I've been too or that I have cooked myself. At first I thought it was due to the toxins in the white marbled fat (which I love), but when my dad grills ribeyes at home I eat all the fat and don't have this problem. So maybe it's something to do with the meat from Outback? Or something in the "outback style seasoning"? Has anyone had the prime rib from Outback and experienced something similar? I just ate a meal, even though I was not hungry, because if I don't then I will not be able to hit my mark for the day. I really like the prime rib, but I'm probably going to avoid it if this is the reaction I get. I've never really paid attention to it until now, since I am trying to gain weight and have to eat enough to do so.

  • #2
    Just did a quick check of the nutritional menu from Outback... my calculations to your meal total almost 1500mg of sodium. That's about how much I get in a whole day... maybe that's bothering you to eat it all at once like that? I know loads of sodium makes me bloated, nauseous and generally messes with my tummy. Especially if I dont drink enough water to combat it.
    Starting weight, June 10, 2010: 213 pounds
    Current weight, October 31, 2010: 177 pounds
    Goal: Happiness, Health, Hotness

    Screw "moderation"!!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Lodini View Post
      Just did a quick check of the nutritional menu from Outback... my calculations to your meal total almost 1500mg of sodium. That's about how much I get in a whole day... maybe that's bothering you to eat it all at once like that? I know loads of sodium makes me bloated, nauseous and generally messes with my tummy. Especially if I dont drink enough water to combat it.
      I don't think it's the sodium, since for the past couple of days I've had either two chicken sausages or pork sausage + bacon with breakfast, and both choices have a combined sodium level of around 1,000mg. Also, I went to Hibachi, a Japanese steakhouse where they cook in front of you, a couple days ago and had the vegetables, steak, and scallops. They put a good amount of soy sauce on everything, and despite this I was fine the next day. So sodium is out, thanks for your help though!

      Comment


      • #4
        Is it possible that the problem isn't the steak, but the two servings of broccoli? That would do it for me.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Cosima View Post
          Is it possible that the problem isn't the steak, but the two servings of broccoli? That would do it for me.
          Nope, I routinely eat anywhere from 12-16oz of broccoli, brussel sprouts, or asparagus with dinner. I love eating lots of vegetables, so that's not the problem. Maybe something with the au jus? I just don't know...but there is something in/on the steak that is causing the problem steak because when I get moist brisket (aka the fattier cut from the point of the brisket, lots of white fat) from a BBQ place near me I don't have the same issue.

          Comment


          • #6
            Huh. Maybe it's the way the meat is aged, or maybe it's a different quality or something. Outback does a good job, though, so I'd be surprised if they were cutting corners.

            Maybe next time skip the au jus? I'd say skip the seasoning, too, but since they cook the prime rib as a giant unit rather than an individual steak, that probably isn't feasible.

            Are you putting horseradish on it? Any problems there?

            Comment


            • #7
              Next time try ordering something else like the ribeye steak and see if you have the same problems. Outback is one of the few chains that tries to cater to gluten free eaters so they do have protocols that are pretty good, although this probably varies from restaurant to restaurant. Be sure your waiter knows you are eating gluten free. Their dressings and sauces should be avoided because they are pre-mixed and may contain lots of different things.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Cosima View Post
                Huh. Maybe it's the way the meat is aged, or maybe it's a different quality or something. Outback does a good job, though, so I'd be surprised if they were cutting corners.

                Maybe next time skip the au jus? I'd say skip the seasoning, too, but since they cook the prime rib as a giant unit rather than an individual steak, that probably isn't feasible.

                Are you putting horseradish on it? Any problems there?
                I do not put horseradish on it, not a huge fan of it. The seasoning on the prime rib is optional, so I'll try not having both it and the au jus next time.

                Originally posted by Egoldstein View Post
                Next time try ordering something else like the ribeye steak and see if you have the same problems. Outback is one of the few chains that tries to cater to gluten free eaters so they do have protocols that are pretty good, although this probably varies from restaurant to restaurant. Be sure your waiter knows you are eating gluten free. Their dressings and sauces should be avoided because they are pre-mixed and may contain lots of different things.
                The ribeye sounds like a good idea, may go with that instead of the prime rib. Good point about the sauces, it's possible that the au jus has some stuff from other things in it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  They might put MSG into the "seasoning". It is a very common flavor enhancer. That may be upsetting your digestive system. You might ask them about MSG content next time you are there. Lots of people are sensitive to it and they should know if it is in the food.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    right,outback can be paleo friendly. i would suggest one of their more expensive steaks-using same price point as prime rib on that. they gladly do double vegetables. the challenge is saying NO to the garlic mashed potatoes and yes to more vegtables. i found a place today that i can eat indian paleo sorta correct-the buffet for lunch. can anybody hint me how to do correct thai and cuban? my 3 favorite eat out styles.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Barb View Post
                      They might put MSG into the "seasoning". It is a very common flavor enhancer. That may be upsetting your digestive system. You might ask them about MSG content next time you are there. Lots of people are sensitive to it and they should know if it is in the food.
                      Never thought MSG could be in it, I'll ask next time, thanks for the suggestion.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by mosin46 View Post
                        right,outback can be paleo friendly. i would suggest one of their more expensive steaks-using same price point as prime rib on that. they gladly do double vegetables. the challenge is saying NO to the garlic mashed potatoes and yes to more vegtables. i found a place today that i can eat indian paleo sorta correct-the buffet for lunch. can anybody hint me how to do correct thai and cuban? my 3 favorite eat out styles.
                        Paleo Thai is pretty easy. Avoid most starters. Chicken or fish cakes should be OK but stay away from the dipping sauce (sugar). For the main course then there isn't much that isn't OK. Exceptions are anything with noodles, anything deep fried, especially the fish (usually coated in flour) and anything that says "sweet chilli". But that doesn't exclude a lot.

                        My wife and I eat Thai regularly. We get funny looks when we don't order rice. We just use the lack of rice as a means to fit in an extra main. In the middle of preparing a Thai dinner for this evening - red curry of beef plus Burmese vegetables and steamed rice for the unbelievers
                        Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

                        Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          MSG in the meat as well as the sides. No question about it. Triggers a mess of problems for me. Also undoubtedly soy isolates. Soy sauce on steroids. Same deal. I disagree that you can eat primal at places like Outback. I was a cook, and I can tell you that places like that get EVERYTHING they serve industrially pre-processed which means truckloads of lab-invented chemical cocktails in everything. I would bet that even the iceberg lettuce in the salad is pre-treated with chemicals to enhance taste, prevent browning, etc. Look online and see if you can't find complete ingredients lists. Or, go in and tell them you have food sensitivities and you need a complete list of ingredients for everything to make sure you aren't getting anything problematic.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Over on the Outback website, the menu says to avoid the au jus if you are gluten free. So there's something in that.
                            "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I had the 16 oz prime rib outback style with au jus (probably skip this next time because of above post) with double mixed veg and it was fantastic lol. I'm not hungry but in a few hours I will be so I have no idea what you may be reacting too.
                              "Live Free or Die"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X