Am I the only vegetarian doing this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RogerDeRok View Post
    Castle Grok of http://www.castlegrok.com is doing a Vegan/Primal thing. He's been on it for a few months, maybe check his site and write to him and see what is working for him.

My only question is how the mock meats are playing into this, aren't those mostly made of soy?
    Most mock meats contain soy and just an awful lot of artificial fillers and unpronounceable ingredients. I just wanted to take a break from them and trying to eat more clean.

Comment

Hi Amazing,

I started with primal a few weeks ago coming from a similar place...vegetarian for 20 years, I'd try to eat meat but gagged it down and felt awful afterwards. I've always followed a diet close to nature but realized I just wasn't getting what I needed. My stomach was often distended, my skin was speaking out, I was always craving something. Now that I've introduced what I call "happy" meat (from animals who lived well), I have never felt better.

Since my choice to be vegetarian was based on non-harm, I now spend a good quantity of time being thankful to the animals who gave their life for my health. For the first time in over 20 years I am no longer vegetarian.

There are great people on this forum with lots of knowledge and support.

Listen to your body...it will tell you everything you need to know!

Comment

Yes. I'm a vegetarian too, however I eat fish in addition to eggs and dairy. Because I'm a vegetarian, I eat more nuts/nut butter (almond) than the average primal eater, but I don't find it harms me or impedes my weight loss/primalness (unless I eat copious amounts. and I mean copious!) My regular diet consists of veggies, eggs, cheese (I've switched to raw since reading Mark's book), all organic, almond butter, and fish a few times a week. I also take omega 3 supplements. Fortunately for me, I've never minded eating the same few things every day.
        I'm interested to hear what you've been eating! It's cool to know there's another primal veg out there =)

Comment

Originally posted by Amazing View Post
          I became a veggie at age 13, watching a film bout slaughter houses. After that, I could never bring myself to eat meat. And now I'm 33, so it's been a looong while since I ate meat (including fish).
          I'm sorry, thats a pretty sad thing to be emotionally traumatized into a lifelong lifestyle choice at such a young age.
          Starting Weight : 338lbs 6/11/2010
          Current Weight: 266lbs
          High-school Weight: 235lbs
          Goal: ????

Comment

Originally posted by robss View Post
            Yes. I'm a vegetarian too, however I eat fish in addition to eggs and dairy. Because I'm a vegetarian,
            This one always cracks me up. People who eat animal flesh are not vegetarians....at least not to me, though I realize there are technical definitions that accept this.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Originally posted by Russ View Post
              I'm sorry, thats a pretty sad thing to be emotionally traumatized into a lifelong lifestyle choice at such a young age.
              especially since the creators of those videos do not have your long term health in mind.

Comment

primal and vegan/vegatarianism jut don't go together....our primal ancestors ate whatever they could get there hands on , that they hoped wouldn't kill them, for one reason survival............your atempting something that at their core values are exact opposites.....u just can't live your life "primally" and not eat meat or fish by definition.....i read thru this thread and it seems like people are being supportive, and in this case i think thats a bad thing........i hope you can decide to be one or the other, either primal or a veg......because i just don't see it working out the way ur trying it

Comment

robss - what does a typical daily / weekly menu look like for you?

Comment

Originally posted by cillakat View Post
                    This one always cracks me up. People who eat animal flesh are not vegetarians....at least not to me, though I realize there are technical definitions that accept this.
                    Amen! And no, there aren't any technical definitions that say fish grow on trees.

Originally posted by john b View Post
                    primal and vegan/vegatarianism jut don't go together....our primal ancestors ate whatever they could get there hands on , that they hoped wouldn't kill them, for one reason survival............your atempting something that at their core values are exact opposites.....
                    My view when I was vegetarian was that yes, if I were stranded on an island with nothing but grass and rabbits, I'd do my best to catch rabbits - but since I wasn't on said island, that wasn't too relevant. Nor is what Grok had to do to get by. Why cause suffering unless it's an absolute necessity for survival?

Trouble is... it looks to me now as though - for me - eating meat is a necessity, at least for health. Hence the end of my 20 years of vegetarianism. But if others can do it, more power to them.

Comment

Sorry, would saying lacto-ovo-pescatarian instead of vegetarian appease u?? It's just easier to explain what I eat and then write vegetarian thereafter instead of rewriting lacto-ovo-pescatarian a bunch of times. Besides, it's really not about the title, I couldn't care less about the title, and I don't understand why some of you seem to care so much. Even thought I don't eat meat, besides fish, I still feel the primal benefits, such as a clear head, more energy throughout the day, not hungry all the time anymore, easier weight management, etc. PB has taught me to eat real, actual, nutritious foods and not processed crap. Is that not what everyone on the BP is doing? Instead of putting my lifestyle/dietary preference down, I would think one would be happy that another person was experiencing the positive benefits of going primal.

We all adapt the PB to our own dietary preferences. Is someone who eats a lot of chocolate and tons of fruit every day more primal than me just because they eat meat? Even though they are consuming a lot more sugar than me?

SpiritWarrior- I have an omelet with mushrooms, bell peppers, and onions every morning for breakfast. Throughout the day/week I’ll usually have hard boiled eggs, raw, organic cheddar cheese, fish, salad, veggies, almonds/almond butter, and more omelets/scrambled eggs.

Comment

Originally posted by robss View Post
                        Sorry, would saying lacto-ovo-pescatarian instead of vegetarian appease u?? It's just easier to explain what I eat and then write vegetarian thereafter instead of rewriting lacto-ovo-pescatarian a bunch of times. Besides, it's really not about the title, I couldn't care less about the title, and I don't understand why some of you seem to care so much. Even thought I don't eat meat, besides fish, I still feel the primal benefits, such as a clear head, more energy throughout the day, not hungry all the time anymore, easier weight management, etc. PB has taught me to eat real, actual, nutritious foods and not processed crap. Is that not what everyone on the BP is doing? Instead of putting my lifestyle/dietary preference down, I would think one would be happy that another person was experiencing the positive benefits of going primal.

We all adapt the PB to our own dietary preferences. Is someone who eats a lot of chocolate and tons of fruit every day more primal than me just because they eat meat? Even though they are consuming a lot more sugar than me?

SpiritWarrior- I have an omelet with mushrooms, bell peppers, and onions every morning for breakfast. Throughout the day/week I’ll usually have hard boiled eggs, raw, organic cheddar cheese, fish, salad, veggies, almonds/almond butter, and more omelets/scrambled eggs.
                        I'm absolutely happy that you're enjoying the benefits!

I'm not exactly obsessive about the title - I just respect vegetarians and feel sorry for them having to deal with being offered fish as a consequence of this sort of muddle. Agreed, 'lacto-ovo-pescatarian' doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. How about 'I'd be a vegetarian except I eat fish'? Or 'I don't eat meat except for some fish'?

I don't know why I'm going on about this. Maybe it's my unacknowledged guilt at going back to eating meat .

Comment

I'm a recovering vegetarian and I'd like to suggest the book Vegetarian Myth by Lierre Keith. I had already started eating meat some when I read it. But, reading it helped me to actually feel good about eating it since most of my reasons for being vegetarian were ecological. I HIGHLY recommend it. It's a great read too!!! And, if after you still can't then that's that.

Comment

And, since I started eating high fat and meat with no grains I feel a whole WORLD better!

Comment

I think if you can handle dairy and are not anti-egg, it wouldn't be too hard to be paleo-ish and be pretty healthy. Lots of protein in eggs and dairy. Do what you want, the info is out there for you to make a decision.
                              If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Working...
                              X