1000 Calories On A Daily Basis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1000 Calories On A Daily Basis

Hello, having decided to go primal it means that on my current budget my daily food intake comes to around 1000 calories. This would be my intake for the forseeable future. Is it possible to get or remain healthy on 1000 calories?

That seems very low to me. I have always heard to not ever go below 1200,otherwise your body will think it is starving and your metabolism will end up slowing way down.

Comment

Have some butter.
      You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

So, your budget determines your calorie level? You can't, say, up the eggs and butter and reduce the beef and fish? A pint of whole cream costs $2 in my grocery store and has a gazillion calories.
        If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

You should look up the threads where people talk about eating cheap. If you do it right you can eat primal for no more (or possibly less) than eating the SAD used to cost you.
          A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

Sorry Jamie, I don't really understand what you're asking. Budget as in money?

Comment

Hi tooround, yes budget as in money. I did want to try going primal without including dairy products but i will include some organic unsalted butter and a couple of whey protein shakes daily. My daily intake at the moment is:

Breakfast: 2 soft boiled eggs, 1 small avocado, portion of berrys, 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. cup of green tea.

Lunch: 3 portions of veg such as brocoli, cauliflower & kale, 1 salmon fillet. 40g nuts, 1 apple.

Dinner: 3 portions of veg, 1 fillet of steak, tablespoon of olive oil. cup of green tea.

Comment

What is your height / weight / build? Are you looking to build muscle, drop fat, maintain...? They would all affect your calorie needs. I agree 1000 seems low, but when I tracked on fitday I was usually between 900-1400. I'm a 5'2" female with a stone or two to lose.
                If pushed, I would say spend what you can on high quality fat. Then you can come down to cheap meat (as in grain fed, cheap cuts, NOT smart-price burgers ), seasonal fish is cheap near the coast? Then come down again to veg as your lower priority (people WILL disagree with me on this, YMMV). Again, cheap, seasonal, traditional veg. For example, in the UK (I can't see where you're from) kale and spring greens tend to be dirt cheap as many people find them too strong. They're very "old fashioned" veggies. But they are, essentially, cabbages, and work out a fraction of the price of your nice smooth round bland white cabbage!
                Frozen bags of veg often work out well to avoid wastage if you're just cooking for yourself.
                HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie View Post
                  I did want to try going primal without including dairy products
                  What about coconut oil, olive oil, and fatty meats?

Comment

Originally posted by chronyx View Post
                    What about coconut oil, olive oil, and fatty meats?
                    Since when is coocnut oil budget-friendly..
                    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
                    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

uhmm....no no dont even try this 1000 calories due to budget...search this forum...

dozen eggs
                      1lb of beef
                      cup of cream
                      veg of choice

mix and bake....high calorie and a biga$$ pan of quiche

sardines

you dont need berries theyre expensive...coconut oil???really??? GET BUTTER...put if on you soft boiled eggs....eat more nuts but the economy size
                      -chuck steak is cheap and fatty....as are boston butts, chuck roasts
                      Get on my Level
                      http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Save your bacon grease and use that to cook. Its free and it adds hundreds of cals. If you are taller than 5'1 and weigh more than 100lbs there is no reason to eat just 1000 cals a day. Id say at LEAST 1200 is required by a body to maintain organ function. Dip below that and you are putting yourself at serious risk of your body taking what it needs from your organs and bones and leading to the start of multiple diseases. Im not saying this will happen if you dip below 1000 cals occasionally...i know during my IF days I sometimes only eat 600-700 cals but never make this a norm.
                        Natural Selection: http://ichoosenaturalselection.wordpress.com

Comment

Hi NorthernMonkeyGirl, im 6ft tall, weigh 18 stone and i would like to be around 12 stone. Ive gained 5 stone in a year from binge eating due to depression. Ideally i just want to loose the fat, not fussed about being ripped, just slim. Exercise wise i just plan to do 3 basic full body strength sessions a week, 1 run, and plenty of walking. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Seriously check out the threads people have written about saving cash, there's one right now called "money, money, money".

Aside from what others have said I'd say ditch the salmon, nuts, berries, coconut oil, and avocado in favor of ground beef, bacon, eggs, and butter. All of which are cheap. I eat "chopped steak/hamburger steaks" which is basically just a 1/3-1/2lbs. of ground beef cooked like a steak quite offten. Very economical. I also second sardines, and would add kippered herring in there, both cheap.

And MalPaz's recipe looks slammin'! I'm gonna hafta try that one out.

Comment

Quality ingredient ps can be found in bulk - if you have money up front, it will save you time and money later. We joined a CSA and I buy grass fed beef online frozen in bulk. Fewer trips to the grocery store also means fewer pennies spent on useless crap items you just see there.

Comment

Working...
                              X