Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got my blood work back what am I looking at??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my blood work back what am I looking at??

Total Cholesterol- 199
    LDL- 138
    HDL- 45
    Triglycerides- 83
    Sugar level- 80 (used to be 104 I was told high, so that must be good right?)
    "Live Free or Die"

well your trigs look great! thats all i got. - btw which equation was used to get these numbers? If your trigs are below 100, a more accurate look at your LDL and HDL might be had with use of the Iranian Equation.

Comment

I just today posted a cholesterol calculator on my blog -- just plug in your numbers and it'll give you the Iranian Equation result for your LDL (which you need, since your LDL is under 100 and the calculation the doc used will give you inaccurate results). It'll also give you all the relevant ratios to help you understand what your numbers mean.

Griff's cholesterol primer will explain why the calculator does what it does. (The calculator itself indicates what is considered ideal, but doesn't go into why.)
      Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

the login doesn't work
        "Live Free or Die"

Comment

Took a look at the info on griffs thread and my numbers are as follows

Iranian equation lowers my LDL to 132

So if we look at my results (using the Iranian equation), my ratios are:

Total/HDL: 199/45 or 4.42 (ideal = 5 or below)

Trig/HDL: 83/45 or 1.84 (ideal = 2 or below)

LDL/HDL: 132/45 or 2.93 (ideal = 4.3 or below)

I guess I am doing ok but I would like to get it lower. Any way I can do that? I'm 100% primal except for sugar substitutes like stevia which I highly doubt would matter.
          "Live Free or Die"

Comment

Originally posted by Bostonbully View Post
            the login doesn't work
            Seriously? I'll double-check. Just did it myself and it worked fine... thanks for the heads-up!

ETA: I just tried it again. Had trouble the first time (invalid login details) but was find the second time. Either a mis-key, or it has issues when more than 1 person tries at a time. Not sure which... Try again if you're up for it.
            Last edited by BarbeyGirl; 07-30-2010, 08:09 PM.
            Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Comment

Your numbers look fine, especially the lowering on the blood glucose. How long have you been primal? If you are eating lots of healthy vegetables, proteins, and healthy fats the HDL might rise (which is good) and Triglycerides lower (which is also good) over time. For some people it takes 12-18 months for dietary changes to really work through. Frankly the best you can do is to exercise sufficiently, lose weight/bodyfat if necessary and perhaps raise fish consumption or fish oil and saturated fats relative to mono and poly fats.

Also, did you have CRP numbers? systemic inflammation should improve with lowering blood glucose as well.
              Last edited by Egoldstein; 07-30-2010, 08:31 PM. Reason: added CRP

Comment

Originally posted by Bostonbully View Post
                Took a look at the info on griffs thread and my numbers are as follows

Iranian equation lowers my LDL to 132

So if we look at my results (using the Iranian equation), my ratios are:

Total/HDL: 199/45 or 4.42 (ideal = 5 or below)

Trig/HDL: 83/45 or 1.84 (ideal = 2 or below)

LDL/HDL: 132/45 or 2.93 (ideal = 4.3 or below)

I guess I am doing ok but I would like to get it lower. Any way I can do that? I'm 100% primal except for sugar substitutes like stevia which I highly doubt would matter.
                Why do you want your numbers lower? They look really good, solidly in the ideal range. This is totally not my field, so no judgment here. Just curious why you want better than that.

Stats as of 3/1/12:
                5'10" female, 38 y/o
                Currently 140 lbs., approx 25% body fat
                WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
                DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
                EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

Comment

Thanks for the calculator BarbeyGirl I just plugged in my last bloodwork, and it seems I don't have anything to worry about:

HDL 46.4, LDL 66.6, Total 141.9, Trigs 52.3

Ratios
                  Total / HDL 3.06
                  Trig / HDL 1.13
                  LDL / HDL 1.44

All numbers in Iranian equation. Now, I think I have to modify your calc so it can use both nmol/L and of mg/L

Conversion factor for cholesterol : nmol/L * 38.67 = mg/L
                  Conversion factor for triglyceride : nmol/L * 88.57 = mg/L
                  Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sungrazer View Post
                    Thanks for the calculator BarbeyGirl
                    All numbers in Iranian equation. Now, I think I have to modify your calc so it can use both nmol/L and of mg/L
                    Glad you could use it -- and great idea for adding the conversions.

And, congrats on the awesome numbers!

Comment

Originally posted by BarbeyGirl View Post
                      And, congrats on the awesome numbers!
                      I've always had low cholesterol and in fact I had even lower when I was CW. When I started in my current job I had 3.15 nmol/L (~122 mg/L) total cholesterol, but I can't find the test results which is a shame as I would really like to have seen the HDL, LDL and trig numbers as well.

I contribute my low cholesterol more to genes than diet, actually. It has only changed a couple of decimal points since I went from CW to Primal. 3.5 last fall, and now 3.7 (but I forgot to fast last time, and had had two eggs fried in butter 2 hours before the blood draw. ).

I'm not concerned with the rising cholesterol though, I am still way into ideal ratios.
                      Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Comment

I just figured the lower the better. I am probably wrong but then again I don't know jack about it. I have been doing primal since February. I eat primarily beef so that may be why some numbers are higher then say sungrazer's. I'm happy about the glucose thing because I have to get an annual physical for work and the damn nurse last time was give me the once over about how I could end up a diabetic. My glucose was 104 which I think is one or two points too high. Anyways F her lol.
                        "Live Free or Die"

Comment

Working...
                        X