I may quit primal. Need medical advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I may quit primal. Need medical advice

I have been eating primal for 6 months, and the last 3 months more seriously. I have been having painful nocturnal calf cramps for the last 2 months. I have done lots of things to try and get rid of them, but nothing worked. About three days ago I found out that when you eat a high protein diet you start peeing out your minerals, calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium, etc.... I bought some greens + bone builder at the drug store, and low and behold my calf cramps went away.

My questions:

Does anyone else have this problem ?

If primal is the ultimate diet, then what the heck am I doing wrong, I should not need supplements if this diet is good, and would Grok have had the same problem ?

I am eating lots of fruit and veg with my meals, and I have a labour intensive job, so I sweat lots. I also hope this diet will not weaken my bones, it won't will it ?

Unless I get some good motivation to stick with this diet I am going to be highly motivated to Weston A Price my meals more and eat 'gasp' soaked grains.

I believe you are one of the few primal eaters who doesn't take supplements. The food we consume today is not nearly as robust/dense in nutrients. We are in a very clean world, eating less dirt (where many minerals come from).

Search the forum for supplement discussions.

Read the book, Primal Blueprint.

Read Protein Power Lifeplan.

Lots of fodder for wife supplementing.
    Last edited by say_rahhh; 07-29-2010, 08:17 PM. Reason: HAHAHA. That was supposed to be WISE supplementing. But it's funny so I left it.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

Comment

I dont supplement wifes but I do take D3 and a really good multi-vitamin, or at least I think its really good, might be crap :B
      What are greens + bone builder? Also, how much protein are you eating? I dont know anything about peeing out your minerals tho, sorry, never heard that before.

Comment

PB is not a high protein diet. It's high fat, medium protein, low carb.
        http://www.theprimalprepper.com - preparing for life's worst while living for the best

Comment

Originally posted by tamo42 View Post
          PB is not a high protein diet. It's high fat, medium protein, low carb.
          this +3 Most of your cals should come from fat.
          Natural Selection: http://ichoosenaturalselection.wordpress.com

Comment

I think if you're gonna quit, then what you ought to do, is perhaps increase your fats and probably carbs (are you super low?) And check into that Supplement... You may totally need a divorce and find a new wife!

The cramps can be magnesium, calcium, potassium efficiencies. Any minute, Cillakat will be here to set you straight!

Comment

I'm pretty sure that you also have to make sure that you're not nutrient deficient. No amount of not eating grains will do that, though it may contribute to absorbing more of the ones you do consume what with the gut damage.
              Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

I just found some info on Dr Eades site about the possibility of cramps when you don't have a lot of magnesium in your diet. So greens + gives me the magnesium. Also when you cut carbs in your diet you have to increase fat and protein, so I do consider primal a higher protein diet. Eating higher levels of protein has a diuretic effect on your body making you lose minerals. I don't want to quit Primal, I love the weight I have lost, I just want to make sure that this is a healthy diet and not a unhealthy one.

Comment

i just re-read your post and have you been drinking enough water? You said you sweat a lot at work? Eating more fat requires more water to digest it. You might just be dehydrated
                  Natural Selection: http://ichoosenaturalselection.wordpress.com

Comment

Maybe you're eating too much protein and you could try shifting your macronutrient ratios in favor of fat.
                    Primal is not necessarily a high protein diet. In fact, Nora Gedgaudas, in "Primal Body, Primal Mind" talks about how we don't need a ton of protein (except for people with very high muscle mass or people recovering from illnesses) and even then, the protein is in maybe the 75 gm range, which still isn't high protein...
                    http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

I don't have leg cramps eating primal, but when I was working labor I had horrible leg cramps at night. Eating a banana every other day seemed to eliminate most of them. Have you tracked your diet on FitDay or something similar? Do you know your actual average ratio of Protein/Fat/carbs?
                      Strive for healthy today.

Satisfaction is the death of desire.

Comment

say_rahhh:
                        I would like to know how I can do wife supplementing. Please advise.
                        "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Originally posted by Ninjagirl View Post
                          Unless I get some good motivation to stick with this diet I am going to be highly motivated to Weston A Price my meals more and eat 'gasp' soaked grains.
                          Weston A. Price Foundation perhaps.

As far as I'm aware, Price himself never mentioned soaking grains. What he seems to have thought was that it was eating whole foods that was important:

This boy's imperative need, that was not provided in white bread and skimmed milk, was the presence of the vitamins and other activators that are in whole milk but not in skimmed milk, and in whole wheat, freshly ground, but not in white flour. He was restored to health by the simple process of having Nature's natural foods restored to him.
                          http://journeytoforever.org/farm_lib...e/price15.html

Also note that reference to "Nature". Grammatically you don't need it in the sentence. Why not just "having natural foods restored to him"? Besides these meticulous observations and photographs of people's teeth and faces, what seems to hold it all together is a religious attitude that God has put what you need in Nature, and really just stop messing with what you've been given now. (Interestingly, there's also a kind of quasi-religious background to the thinking of some of the WAPF people - Tom Cowan explicitly talks about Rudolf Steiner). But how about the nasty effects that unleavened wholewheat bread apparently has on people in the Middle East?

Anyway, Price never said anyone needed to eat grains. Some of the "healthy primitives" he cites did; some didn't.

And Weston Price didn't believe that eating meat leaches calcium from your bones. Nor does Chris Masterjohn, one of the regular bloggers at the WAPF:

http://www.westonaprice.org/blogs/do...the-bones.html

Since HC Sherman first observed in 1920 that people who eat high-protein diets tend to excrete more calcium in their urine, over 25 trials have been published showing beyond a doubt that increasing dietary protein does in fact increase urinary calcium.

On the other hand there are at least four studies showing that people who eat the most protein have the slowest bone loss over time and another four showing that people who eat the most protein have the lowest fracture rate over time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninjagirl View Post
                            I just found some info on Dr Eades site about the possibility of cramps when you don't have a lot of magnesium in your diet. So greens + gives me the magnesium. Also when you cut carbs in your diet you have to increase fat and protein, so I do consider primal a higher protein diet. Eating higher levels of protein has a diuretic effect on your body making you lose minerals. I don't want to quit Primal, I love the weight I have lost, I just want to make sure that this is a healthy diet and not a unhealthy one.
                            You don't have to increase protein on the PB. If you were eating enough protein pre-PB then you don't need to increase it*. What you should be doing is replacing your carbs with fat. There is only so much protein you need and I think you are eating way too much. Post your daily diet etc.

*The lower in carb you go (providing you are avoiding sugar), the more protein you will need so it can be converted to glucose.
                            A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

Originally posted by TigerLily View Post
                              say_rahhh:
                              I would like to know how I can do wife supplementing. Please advise.
                              plentyoffish.com

Comment

Working...
                              X