Ostrim sticks: good or bad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ostrim sticks: good or bad?

I'm new to the paleo diet, and was wondering about these seemingly too-good-to-be-true protein snacks.

What is this you speak of? can you attach a link? Ive never heard of it.

OK just googled it. My main concern is the quality of the meat they are using. It doesnt say anywhere on the site, so I would suggest calling them and asking. Also, it gives nutrition facts, but not ingredients. I would also ask them what other ingredients are being used to preserve this product and extend its shelf life.

report back your findings!
    Last edited by lmyers04; 07-29-2010, 12:11 PM.

Comment

@lmyers04: It's ostrich jerky.
      http://protos-inc.com/FoodForThought.htm

It's not the worst thing to eat. It's high protein. Not high fat, though. I mean, if you're gonna eat jerky, it's probably a good substitute.

Comment

lots of mass-produced jerky has crap in it, though. Have you read the ingredients on Jack Links brand Jerky? Its insane. HFCS and vegetable oils are included. bah! Thats why I always say you need to find out EXACTLY what they put in those sticks before eating them. They dont say on their website, so I still say call em up! And all commercially produced jerky will have some sort of preserving agent in them, by law they have to. And, is the meat hormone/antibiotic free(it says its a beef/ostrich blend)? etc etc......( I still would like to try one though. )
        Last edited by lmyers04; 07-29-2010, 12:17 PM.

Comment

They look like a great source of protein to me too. I'm not a snacker but I were and these were around, I'd eat em.
          http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

god I sound like such an anal-retentive uptight bitch sometimes........will someone please hurl ostrich sticks at me as penance? *fump fump fump*

but really, find out as much as you can before you start eating something prepackaged on the reg. Even if its glorious, glorious meat.

Comment

I do buy them sometimes just to eat when I'm really hungry and there's nothing else around. If I am traveling, I'll keep a couple on me just in case and it's better than having to try and find something in an airport, gas station, etc.

Does anyone know in general the quality of ostrich farms?

Comment

Originally posted by lmyers04 View Post
                god I sound like such an anal-retentive uptight bitch sometimes........will someone please hurl ostrich sticks at me as penance? *fump fump fump*

but really, find out as much as you can before you start eating something prepackaged on the reg. Even if its glorious, glorious meat.
                www26.netrition.com/ostrim_page.html

I used to order these frequently from netrition.com, but have stopped since I read the Nutrition Facts and saw stuff like Nonfat Dry Milk and Sucralose (granted, that one is at the end of the Ingredients listing). Sorta meh about the Sodium Nitrite. I'm sure there are better choices for jerky/pemmican.

Comment

[QUOTE=lmyers04;171074]god I sound like such an anal-retentive uptight bitch sometimes........will someone please hurl ostrich sticks at me as penance? *fump fump fump*QUOTE]

hahaha....

No you bring up good points....but I'm going to say generally an ostrich jerky with pretty good quality is better than some other crap that is out there. No, it's not as good as home made grass fed buffalo jerky....

Comment

[QUOTE=Nick "the Caveman" M.;171083]
                    god I sound like such an anal-retentive uptight bitch sometimes........will someone please hurl ostrich sticks at me as penance? *fump fump fump*QUOTE]

hahaha....

No you bring up good points....but I'm going to say generally an ostrich jerky with pretty good quality is better than some other crap that is out there. No, it's not as good as home made grass fed buffalo jerky....
                    Ive been reading up on some homemade jerky recipes, and plan on buying a dehydrator next week, maybe. I have a 10 day trip to a remote town in Colorado with family planned in a few weeks, to do some fishing and hiking, and they tell me ill pretty much be on my own food-wise, since the only restaurant in town is like a pizza place or something. I plan on making a lot of my own jerky! Im pretty excited. I will also eat some fresh trout, but that depends on if we can catch some! And a week without beef is.......not an option.

Comment

Ingredients: beef, ostrich, filtered water, nonfat Dry milk, citric acid, potassium chloride, potassium lactate, natural flavor (whatever that means), sodium erthorbate, sodium nitrate, sucralose

Comment

[QUOTE=lmyers04;171089]
                        Originally posted by Nick "the Caveman" M. View Post

Ive been reading up on some homemade jerky recipes, and plan on buying a dehydrator next week, maybe. I have a 10 day trip to a remote town in Colorado with family planned in a few weeks, to do some fishing and hiking, and they tell me ill pretty much be on my own food-wise, since the only restaurant in town is like a pizza place or something. I plan on making a lot of my own jerky! Im pretty excited. I will also eat some fresh trout, but that depends on if we can catch some! And a week without beef is.......not an option.
                        I've made jerky before...specifically buffalo....without a dehydrator. I just couldn't get over shelling out a fair amount of $ for it. I used the oven and it worked great. The only pain is that you are using the oven for about a 6 hr period and pretty much have to keep the oven door open. I believe Mark has a recipe on here somewhere for it, and even lists out the directions to use the oven. It's what I followed for oven use and worked great. Just throw them on some wire racks over baking sheets, set the oven to the lowest heat possible (probably 170 or so), then leave it alone for about 6 hrs or so.

Comment

Originally posted by bmahoney View Post
                          Ingredients: beef, ostrich, filtered water, nonfat Dry milk, citric acid, potassium chloride, potassium lactate, natural flavor (whatever that means), sodium erthorbate, sodium nitrate, sucralose
                          ehhhhhhhhh preservatives.......... I wouldnt eat them, personally. They might be a good thing to keep in mind for traveling or something but youre really better off just eating normal meat and saving your money. Good post though, I had never heard of these before and now want to try ostrich, some how, some way.

Comment

[QUOTE=Nick "the Caveman" M.;171096]

I've made jerky before...specifically buffalo....without a dehydrator. I just couldn't get over shelling out a fair amount of $ for it. I used the oven and it worked great. The only pain is that you are using the oven for about a 6 hr period and pretty much have to keep the oven door open. I believe Mark has a recipe on here somewhere for it, and even lists out the directions to use the oven. It's what I followed for oven use and worked great. Just throw them on some wire racks over baking sheets, set the oven to the lowest heat possible (probably 170 or so), then leave it alone for about 6 hrs or so.
                            OK good to know that someone has done the oven-method before. I wasnt sure if that really worked or not. I will probably end up getting a dehydrator anyway as my BF needs more primal snacks to keep at work so as to avoid the snack machine. I plan on making jerky a lot in the future, possibly, and the open-oven method might get annoying lol. But its good to know that it works, so I can start making some tonight if I want to.........

Comment

Working...
                            X