coconut oil on tattoos?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coconut oil on tattoos?

Hey any of you guys ever use coconut oil on new tattoos? I jsut got one yesterday and im using A&D for 3 days or so but then the guy said go to an unscented lotion. i dont like lotions they feel weird and are loaded with chemicals. i use CO for moisturizing as it is. it doesnt clog pores, helps healing, anti-septic/anti-bacterial. there is really no reason not to use it, right?

Yeah don't see why not

Comment

That is probably a great idea for a new tattoo. I used coco-butter on mine.
      http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

yea i think im gonna do it. its just a pain in the ass cuz the tat is huge and is on my whole side, so everytime i need to lather on some ointment im in the bathroom at work shirtless.

Comment

I burned my foot badly on a steam mop and instead of putting ice on the burn, I reached for the coconut oil. The pain subsided and the burn never blistered, only a red mark that lasted a few days. The stuff is wonderful.

Comment

So when do we get to see the tat? hehe

Comment

I've been using almond oil on mine. Did A&D for the first 3-4 days. I think coconut oil would work fine too...just don't lather it on too thick.
              Last edited by kennelmom; 07-29-2010, 12:02 PM.
              Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
                So when do we get to see the tat? hehe
                can i post videos in here? i took one last night. or you can check it out on my facebook if you got one, i posted it there

Comment

Originally posted by kennelmom View Post
                  I've been using almond oil on mine. Did A&D for the first 3-4 days. I think coconut oil would work fine too...just don't lather it on too thick.
                  I got almond oil too, ill have to try both to see whats better. how do you apply the almond oil without lathering it on thick? its such a rich oil

Comment

Comment

I'd be wary of using any oil on a tattoo...I personally use Bepanthen and have had no problems with it. Then again, if CO doesn't seem to clog your pores perhaps it would be a good option after all! Let us know how it goes, I'm scheduled for a new tattoo next week so would be keen to see if it works!

Comment

Aftercare for tattoos seems to be all over the board depending on the artist. Everything from A-D ointment to do nothing except wash with Dial soap. There is a tattoo artist in Cairo (Al Hurley) that has done a couple for me and he recommends Preparation-H of all things (I know, not primal). And I did use it, it seemed to heal in about half the time and I can't tell that it has affected the color at all. I have also used that Burt's Bees Hand Salve or Almond/Banana Hand Lotion works well. When I get back to Texas, I'm going to work on getting my half-sleeve finished off and plan on trying the Burt's stuff.
                        Randal
                        AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
                        Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
                        http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

keep your tattoo clean and dry (free of any lotions or products) till it starts to peel, then it is okay to put something on it. i would say coconut oil very sparingly is the best. using too much moisture before it peels can actually create big scabs and a harder heal.
                          Navy SEAL Workout
                          Top Fat Loss Trainer
                          Advanced Fat Loss

Comment

Originally posted by AntonG View Post
                            I got almond oil too, ill have to try both to see whats better. how do you apply the almond oil without lathering it on thick? its such a rich oil
                            maybe we're not talking about the same stuff, but my almond oil is pretty light. I just dab a little on my finger and rub it into the tattoo...in a few minutes, it's absorbed in. The skin is nice and moist and can still breathe.

This is the first tattoo I've not used traditional methods (aquaphor, a&d) and it's healing up really nicely. The color is healing better than any other I've gotten recently (same artist). I just put the oil on if the skin feels tight or dry.
                            Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Originally posted by kennelmom View Post
                              maybe we're not talking about the same stuff, but my almond oil is pretty light. I just dab a little on my finger and rub it into the tattoo...in a few minutes, it's absorbed in. The skin is nice and moist and can still breathe.

This is the first tattoo I've not used traditional methods (aquaphor, a&d) and it's healing up really nicely. The color is healing better than any other I've gotten recently (same artist). I just put the oil on if the skin feels tight or dry.
                              yea i think i got that stuff. im gonna try both to see how my skin reacts to it. Can you guys see the video on the previous page? im curious to see if videos from facebook work on here

Comment

Working...
                              X