Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal letter of the law but not the spirit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal letter of the law but not the spirit?

OK, so I have a sweet tooth. I just ate a whole, super ripe, huge, delicious mango cut up with 1/2 cup of coconut cream over the top. YES it was totally delicious and absolutely PB ingredients. But it was also a fructose & calorie bomb, maybe not quite as much as a huge piece of cheesecake but still...

Anybody else find themselves skirting the edges sometimes with stuff that is technically 80% but really ought to be 20%? BTW, I'm not beating myself up or contemplating a 36 hr IF as penance for my sin. I'm just curious. I really prefer PB foods, but I think it's possible to eat too much of them, too. Is there a need for willpower within PB?
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

When the opportunity arose I'm sure grok gorged too. Hey, I've seen hunters climb tree's hundreds of feet in the air to get at that honeycomb, so don't feel bad. I.m guilty of that very thing, it's blueberry season around these parts and they go really well with a few herbs, spices and some devon cream.
    Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it lol...I myself just had an orange and some blueberries a few hours ago...yeah I'm feeling the sugar and carbs a bit...but they taste freaking great and ARE technically primal but i'm kinda iffy on it. The way I see it, when I have a sweet tooth and i just can't resist it, I'm better off having some fruit then digging into the jar of peanut butter I have downstairs collecting dust.. Btw a mango is probably the worst of all the fruits I'm pretty sure it's a bit higher on the glycemic index so I would go with some blueberries or banana maybe raisins... but then again I wouldn't worry too much about it, it's a trillion billion times better than eating say....a bowl of ice cream.

Comment

It happens sometimes, but sweating it's not worth it. The best thing you can do is to try to place it close to workout, or honestly just forget it. Giving in to a mango with coconut cream is better then giving into a large pizza with... cream...
        sigpic
        In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Comment

Hey dude, what's wrong with coconut ice cream?
          Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

Comment

It's just a mango! Don't worry about it. Fruits are healthful. Your body can handle a mango every now and then. :]

Comment

The fat will blunt the sugar rush, amirite?
              “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Chaohinon View Post
                The fat will blunt the sugar rush, amirite?
                Fat cures cancer.

Comment

I get the 'don't sweat it' thing but I'm also hearin ya on the overdoing it. Where that line is, I'm not sure. But I've always loved sweet things and find myself starting to justify pancakes for breakfast and coffee, nuts and fruit for lunch.... cheese and nuts for a snack... the veggies start to get squeezed out.

Balance is important - we want all those good nutrients.
                  If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat? Tom Snyder

Comment

Originally posted by tfarny View Post
                    Is there a need for willpower within PB?
                    You bring up a really good point. I think the "danger" is that we really have unlimited access to food types that would have been limited by nature. Sure Grok may have found and eaten an entire huge Mango, but he couldn't do that for several days in a row, most likely, because a) how many Mangos would be ripe and b) how many people would he have to share them with.

I think we do need to excersize some degree of will power to compensate for our privileged position of being able to walk into a grocer and get whatever our sweet tooth may desire.
                    "I am a member of PETA...People Eat Tasty Animals"

Comment

fruit and nuts. those two need to be watched.

that being said, your mango-cream dessert sounded delicious, and most importantly, you enjoyed it, savored it, and feel no guilt from it, and you dont try to make it out to be what it isnt.......its a good amount of fructose.......not the best thing but hey, you could be eating some dreyers ice cream or 2 chocolate chip cookies or whatever............. Thats the true PB value right there!
                      Last edited by lmyers04; 07-29-2010, 07:26 AM.

Comment

No worries. The way I see it is when you do indulge make it worth it. With this lifestyle we cut most of that stuff out so when you are going to deviate then go all out and enjoy.
                        Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Comment

Sure, restraint is important even when eating primal/paleo foods. BUT, I agree that there's nothing wrong with an occasional paleo-binge.

For perspective, read the "Unhealthiest Food Before PB" thread. To most of the western world, which is still binging on processed crap, a mango with coconut milk is likely to be the most healthful meal of the week!
                          Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

I wasn't trying to beat myself up, really. And yeah a mango and some coconut milk is not going to give me diabetes, but I just thought it was interesting - we kind of say that as long as the food is PB approved, we don't need a lot of willpower to stay healthy portion-wise. I was just meditating on whether that is really the case. I have to say that dessert was pretty filling though, I wasn't craving a second helping.
                            If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

I eat blueberries/strawberries pretty much every day. I don't remember the last time I didn't. Usually its a bowl of blueberries with coconut milk to go with my eggs and (bacon/sausage) at breakfast and then a bowl of strawberries after dinner.

I really hate how much fruit gets debated on these boards. If you want the fruit... eat it.

Comment

Working...
                              X