Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coconut Water - OH MY LAWDY

Today at Publix I found this:
    CONCHITA UNSWEETENED COCONUT WATER: 11.8 oz.
    INGREDIENTS: Young coconut juice, young coconut meat, water, potassium metabisulphite (as preservative), ascorbic acid (acidulant).

I'm not a fan of potassium metabisulphite as it is pretty much one of the most disgusting preservatives allowed on the market right now, but I bought a can anyways and downed it after my workout.

This is literally the most delicious post-workout drink I have ever tasted. Ever.

I hate I drank the whole can because it was like 31 carbs and quite a bit of sugar, but I am not going to beat myself up over it.

Does anyone else think the cal/carb/sugar profile on this makes it ideal for a post-workout drink, or am I being silly and drinking candy?
    Last edited by Rivvin; 07-28-2010, 05:20 PM.

I wouldn't think it's ideal, but not too bad right after a workout I guess. My question though is how they can call it "unsweetened" when there is added sugar. Doesn't make sense.

Comment

I bet it's very tasty, but no way would I ever drink 31 carbs at any time!

Comment

lol I just realized I copied/pasted sugar from the sweetened version... editing that out.

Comment

Originally posted by Rivvin View Post
          Today at Publix I found this:
          CONCHITA UNSWEETENED COCONUT WATER: 11.8 oz.
          INGREDIENTS: Young coconut juice, young coconut meat, water, potassium metabisulphite (as preservative), ascorbic acid (acidulant).

I'm not a fan of potassium metabisulphite as it is pretty much one of the most disgusting preservatives allowed on the market right now, but I bought a can anyways and downed it after my workout.

This is literally the most delicious post-workout drink I have ever tasted. Ever.

I hate I drank the whole can because it was like 31 carbs and quite a bit of sugar, but I am not going to beat myself up over it.

Does anyone else think the cal/carb/sugar profile on this makes it ideal for a post-workout drink, or am I being silly and drinking candy?
          Funny, I also just bought coconut water at the store today for the first time. I happened upon Vita Coco and got the pineapple variety, which contains coconut water, coconut puree, pineapple puree, ascorbic acid. 21g carbs in 11.2 oz. The 100% coconut has only coconut water. It was incredibly tasty, and plenty sweet.

You can also get green coconuts at some grocery stores (probably better luck at Asian ones). There's a Korean market nearby that I've seen them at so I may pick one up. They're peeled so it's actually white, thus:

See Wikipedia's article on coconut water.

Comment

I'm just so-so about coconut water. Even when it's fresh out of the coconut. But I'll sip on it a bit.

I think coconut water is the new 'in' healthy drink.
            Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
            ~Borges

Comment

i've tried commercial coconut water - zico (not from concentrate) and water fresh from a coconut and they taste very different to me. don't know why that is.

Comment

Originally posted by cemdev View Post
                i've tried commercial coconut water - zico (not from concentrate) and water fresh from a coconut and they taste very different to me. don't know why that is.
                pasteurization. just like fresh squeezed oj and pasturized oj taste different.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

I drink pure coconut water sometimes after a really tough day out when I know I'm super dehydrated. Or if I'm doing an all day workshop in a hot yoga room. I like the Vita Coco brand. It's definitely not an every day thing, but it's a good way to rehydrate for me. Fresh from the coconut is awesome - had some recently in Costa Rica that was darn tasty.

Comment

Originally posted by gini View Post
                    I drink pure coconut water sometimes after a really tough day out when I know I'm super dehydrated. Or if I'm doing an all day workshop in a hot yoga room. I like the Vita Coco brand. It's definitely not an every day thing, but it's a good way to rehydrate for me. Fresh from the coconut is awesome - had some recently in Costa Rica that was darn tasty.
                    +1. It is awesome for rehydrating. And it is the ultimate hangover cure.

Comment

Its great hydration and recovery. Dont worry about a bit of sugar, that actually helps after a good workout. The higher metabolism will sort out those carbs instantly
                      www.beatingorthorexia.co.uk

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Comment

I have tested almost all of the coconut waters on the market including coconut water from a baby coconut. I hate VitaCoco and Zico! Most of the "branded" coconut waters on the market have a fake taste to them that isn't actually refreshing and they cost more. I don't care for the taste of Goya either. I hated O.N.E. Conchita is the only one that comes close the the taste of the original without all the effort and longer shelf life. The Unsweetened only has 16g C which isn't bad and actually beneficial after a long workout. I wouldn't go drinking this every day if you aren't working out as it is high in NATURAL sugars but if you use this as a post workout recovery drink it's awesome. Works well in smoothies and as alternative to water in post workout shake. If I drink it plain I strain out the small bits of coconut pulp but if I use it in a smoothie I blend it in. My favorite brand by far!

Comment

Working...
                        X