Retaining Water

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retaining Water

I seem to be retaining water: I can tell because my feet are swollen and it feels funny to open and close my hands, and I feel bloated all over. It's not that time of the month... I ate a banana and a half today, whereas I have not eaten bananas in months (or any other fruits). Could it be the bananas? Is it the potassium? Just wondering..

Thats the only thing different you have eaten lately? Then I guess the answer is yes, it was the bananas : / too bad.
    Calm the f**k down.

Comment

I've also recently increased my thyroid hormones, and it's been exceptionally hot outside. Oh! And I've slept very little in the last two nights: first insomnia, then due to my son waking up hourly. Ideas? What could it be?

Comment

it could be the bananas if you're usually eating low carb. water attaches to carbs which can cause an increase in water weight. is there anything else that different: a change in exercise, more humidity, etc.?
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

all of the above? Drink lots of lemon water, eat lots of celery and get some naps in. Or watermelon.
          mmm watermelon
          Calm the f**k down.

Comment

Fructose causes me to retain water. I notice it in my hands as soon as I try to exercise. It also warns me first with headaches. One banana for dessert last night messed me up. I do better with grains than sugars.

Comment

The heat slays me each and every time, especially if it's humid. I feel like a puffer fish, minus the spikes.

Second on the lemon water that metismomma mentioned.

Comment

Okay thanks for the tip on the lemon water. I'm drinking some right now! I just remembered (duh!) that I also ate almonds today after several weeks of no nuts. I did soak them overnight and blanch them, and I dehydrated them. It was rather impulsive of me to introduce two new foods in one day! I guess that's what happens when I'm really really tired.

Grol, it's interesting to know fruit causes you water retention. I will definitely keep a watch on it for me in the future. ANy idea of the cause?

Comment

I love almonds, but they also really puff me up.

Comment

AutumnP: Really?! So any idea of the mechanism behind almonds causing water retention? Or humidity for that matter? I'm really interested in this!

Comment

If you suddenly increase carbs (and bananas are high), you'll retain water. However, if you're out in the heat and humidity, that can do it, too.

I'm hypothyroid, and if my meds need to be increased, I'll experience water retention.

I also retain water at odd times, depending on what's going on in my body (of which I'm usually unaware). For example, if I'm getting a cold, I'll retain water. Any illness usually results in water retention for me. My 'record' is once when I had the flu--12 lbs of water that I lost as soon as the fever broke!

Comment

emmie: wow!

Comment

May I gently ask if you are eating enough? Semi-starvation can cause edema. And refeeding after a period of semi-starvation can also cause temporary edema.

Comment

Originally posted by Beauty View Post
                            I seem to be retaining water: I can tell because my feet are swollen and it feels funny to open and close my hands, and I feel bloated all over. It's not that time of the month... I ate a banana and a half today, whereas I have not eaten bananas in months (or any other fruits). Could it be the bananas? Is it the potassium? Just wondering..
                            I do know I can get bloated in my stomach sometimes when I eat ice cream or dairy. However swelling of the phalanges sounds more like an allergic reaction to something rather than edema...maybe your allergic to bananas? Are you sure there isn't anything else you ate or encountered?

Comment

Paleo Man,

That gives me something to think about. I'm trying to loose some weight with what I think is a small calorie deficit, but it's almost impossible to know exactly what that entails for me, since I have thyroid issues (slow metabolism) and I'm breastfeeding. But, I kind of doubt I'm in semi-starvation mode: I eat from 1500-2000 calories per day, depending on how hungry I am.

It appears that I gained 3 pounds over night last night! I'm not too worried though. I'll do as has been suggested: celery, water, lemon (sorry-I don't like water melon!) and I'll stay away from the bananas and almonds. As for the weather, I can't do much about that! It's 32*C and not even noon. Strange weather for Finland!

Comment

Working...
                              X