Sardines??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sardines??

Ok, I am buying into the whole small fish are better idea. But sorry for being a bit naive, but how do you eat these little devils ina can? Any suggestions? Favorite brands? Since crackers are out what do you eat these on or in?

I love sardines! I think the only thing to watch out for is to make sure they're packed in either water or olive oil, since some brands use the dreaded soybean oil.

I like to eat mine straight out of the can with a fork, preferably dipped in mustard sauce (spicy brown mustard mixed with sour cream or mayo). Delicious!

Comment

When I eat them (and I go in spurts), I simply eat them out of the can. Boring? Maybe, but I don't need a cracker sub for steak; why do I need one for fish?
      Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

When I do sardines or kippers, I make super simple flax crackers. Here is the recipe...

2 tbsp fresh ground flax
        2 tbsp water

mix and let sit for a couple minutes, then spread out thin on parchment paper (I use the back of a fork), salt if desired, and microwave for 2.5 minutes, voila
        For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Comment

I put them over greens or a big salad, with some balsamic vinegar and the olive oil from the can.

Comment

I put them in my omlet some mornings or mix it with a few hard boiled eggs..i usually buy them in water rather than oil..or just eat them right from the tin..with some black pepper..or spread it on celery..

Comment

I like to add it in my some of my dishes and sometimes would add a can in my curry chicken. Wheres the help guys? He asked for some brands.

I buy the Brunswick Sardines in spring water, no salt. Here's a link, Brunswick sardines

I get them at my local market.

Comment

Sardines and similar (I <3 smoked oysters) make fantastic travel snacks, particularly air travel when everything available really sucks.

Comment

Out of the can with fresh lime/lemon juice applied. Yum!

Comment

Thanks for asking this... I had the same question and will eat my first can tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. I like the suggestion of mustard and some sour cream.

Comment

If you have Trader Joe's in your area, they have 'em smoked, in olive oil. Those are great.

I just eat them straight out of the can. I usually don't even make it out of the kitchen.
                      "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

I like them on a slice of cheddar with a slice of onion. I imagine they would be really good on a cheese crisp too (if you can handle dairy). To make the cheese crisps, take a slice of cheese, put on parchment or wax paper and microwave until it melts and crisps up. Watch it carefully it doesn't take long and you don't want to over cook them.

Comment

Originally posted by Roberta View Post
                          I like them on a slice of cheddar with a slice of onion.
                          Ooooh, that sounds fantastic. Must try that.

I normally eat them straight from the can. Beach Cliff or Bumblee brands. Spring water, usually -- but sometimes I sacrifice a little on the health front for the mustard or hot sauce flavored ones.
                          Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

I found some yesterday called "Bonta" from spain. They're in olive oil(happyjoyjoy) Thats lunch for me
                            Calm the f**k down.

Comment

Bumblebee in water for me. Bought 2 cans this afternoon for afternoon snacks at work.

I keep a bottle of Ed McCaffrey's Dijon Mustard in the fridge to go with them.
                              Never, never, never quit! -- Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                              X