I eat bread sometimes *gasp!*

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I eat bread sometimes *gasp!*

I post a lot in the fitness forum here and a few people have messaged me asking me about how I eat. In my blog post today, I break down my diet for you and share one of my favorite smoothie recipes. Check it out here.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

Nice. I still eat grains occasionally but like you said I do so in moderation since the majority of them come from veggies, fruit or nuts it doesn't really bother me.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Comment

I eat bread only when I make it myself. It limits me. Its also part of my culture. Plus, I dont have nearly the same bloating and bad reaction to bread I make myself versus bread or pasta I buy. I agree with some points of your diet but saying to someone "eat as much as you want" some people take it too far. I think people should eat moderately in all foods and eat what you are craving (sugar excluded). To say that bread, rice, etc is ok in moderation is sort of counter-productive, especially those who have severe reactions to grains and gluten. It might work for you but I would not put it as a guideline for others. That sort of starch is not good for your body, so I would put it under "eat at your own risk" personally since its processed the exact same as sugar.
      Natural Selection: http://ichoosenaturalselection.wordpress.com

Comment

nuts, seeds, and nut butters in the "as much as you want" category?
        bread and pasta "in moderation"?

Im all for whatever floats your boat, but this would not be healthy for me. at all.

Comment

Al? Bread? Say it ain't so! Now I'm disillusioned.

I'm starting a sour dough for celebratory pizza on August 1st. I only weigh in on the first, but I am positive I am down 70+ pounds and sub 300 for the first time in 8 years. I've never had a bad reaction to grains other than being constipated by eating five pounds of pizza in one sitting, so I figure every 6 weeks or so, some good quality grain won't hurt me.

Comment

Originally posted by lmyers04 View Post
            nuts, seeds, and nut butters in the "as much as you want" category?
            bread and pasta "in moderation"?

Im all for whatever floats your boat, but this would not be healthy for me. at all.
            Exactly. Id say ideally this is my revised list:

Group 1 -- Have as much as you want!
            Water
            Veggies

Group 2 -- Eat, but show some restraint.
            Fruits
            Grass-fed Beef
            Free Range Chicken (and other poultry)
            Fish
            Pork
            Eggs
            Healthy Oils (avocado, olive, rendered fat)

Group 3 -- Eat only in moderation.
            Honey
            Coffee
            Tea
            Roots
            Seeds
            Dairy
            Nuts and Nut Butters

Non-Approved Foods -- Eat at your own risk!
            Processed Breads and Cakes
            Table Sugar
            Ice Cream
            Alcohol
            Fresh Bread
            Beans/Legumes
            Rice
            Pasta

Never Eat:
            Vegetable Oil
            Soda and Other Processed Beverages
            High Fructose Corn Syrup (and anything that has it as an ingredient!)

Comment

Bread? Why? Sorry... I just don't get the appeal. Oh well.

Comment

I made my own personal list too.

Group 1 -- Have as much as you want!
                Water
                Veggies
                Coffee(decaf)
                Tea(decaf)
                Fish

Group 2 -- Eat, but show some restraint.
                Grass-fed Beef
                Roots(and tubers)
                Eggs
                Dairy
                rendered fat

Group 3 -- Eat only in moderation.
                Free Range Chicken (and other poultry)
                Fruits
                Pork
                Nuts and Nut Butters
                Healthy Oils (avocado, olive,)

Non-Approved Foods -- Eat at your own risk!
                Alcohol
                Beans/Legumes
                Rice
                Honey
                Seeds

Never Eatand would never WANT to eat)
                Vegetable Oil
                Soda and Other Processed Beverages
                High Fructose Corn Syrup (and anything that has it as an ingredient!)
                Pasta
                Fresh Bread
                Processed Breads and Cakes
                Table Sugar
                Last edited by lmyers04; 07-27-2010, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Why is honey in a different category than HFCS and table sugar? I understand, from a processing standpoint, that honey is more primal/paleo etc, but isn't it the same metabolically?

My only info on this if from this source:
                  http://www.fitnessspotlight.com/2008...d-why-its-not/

I'm just curious what your outlook is.

Comment

There's the door. Good day sir. Lol no j/k I don't eat bread but to each his own.
                    "Live Free or Die"

Comment

Used to practically eat lots of Portuguese rolls with butter/jam, nutella, stuffing with roast beef, eggs, ham etc. Don't have the slightest urge or inclination of eating bread since going primal. I've had my fill.
                      Last edited by Nocturnalhorse; 07-27-2010, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint View Post
                        Why is honey in a different category than HFCS and table sugar? I understand, from a processing standpoint, that honey is more primal/paleo etc, but isn't it the same metabolically?

My only info on this if from this source:
                        http://www.fitnessspotlight.com/2008...d-why-its-not/

I'm just curious what your outlook is.
                        Raw honey has many benefits (especially for allergies) its something I eat few and far between but the fact that it has SOME benefit compared to HFCS and Table Sugar that is detrimental, I count it as better.

Comment

Originally posted by Athena View Post
                          Raw honey has many benefits (especially for allergies) its something I eat few and far between but the fact that it has SOME benefit compared to HFCS and Table Sugar that is detrimental, I count it as better.
                          I agree. any thing that can be found and eaten in its natural, raw state in the natural world is in a different category than sugar and HFCS. Is it good for weightloss? probably not something you want to keep in the house, and the fact that eating ANYTHING sweet, regardless of what it is or where it came from, will activate your appetite.

But health and weightloss are two different things. And wellness is yet another thing. Raw honey consumed here and there adds to our wellness (its fun and tasty) and doesnt harm our health (its raw and found in nature) but might stall our weightloss attempts (available for purchase by the jar (and bee-attack free!) we often over-indulge. For optimal health and wellness, I think eating no more than a tablespoon or two is a good place to start. Thats about 10-20 grams of sugars. Considering 30 grams of sugars a day is my personal limit, you get the idea.

also, vegans are notorious for not eating honey. And its always fun to do what the vegans dont do!
                          Last edited by lmyers04; 07-27-2010, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Wow - I am glad to see that this post has sparked so much discussion! Thanks for all your comments (feel free to post comments on my blog too!)

I never claim to have all the answers, but I like to share what works for me (and my opinions are always evolving). My main area of expertise is exercise but a lot of people have been asking me about diet so after some debating, I decided to share my thoughts.

As for my decision to include bread on my list of foods in moderation, I went almost an entire month without any grains when I first discovered the primal/paleo lifestyle and I felt great. However, I went on one of my worst binges ever at the end of that month! So for me, having fresh baked bread (no preservatives) on occasion keeps the demons at bay. As long I don't have too much of it, I feel just as good as I did when I cut it out totally. Like lmyers04 said, diet is about much more than just my health and body fat percentage - it's about enjoyment. I'm a realist, and while I understand that in theory, cutting out grains might be the best thing for my physical health, it's not realistic for me in the long term.
                            "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lmyers04 View Post
                              I agree. any thing that can be found and eaten in its natural, raw state in the natural world is in a different category than sugar and HFCS. Is it good for weightloss? probably not something you want to keep in the house, and the fact that eating ANYTHING sweet, regardless of what it is or where it came from, will activate your appetite.

But health and weightloss are two different things. And wellness is yet another thing. Raw honey consumed here and there adds to our wellness (its fun and tasty) and doesnt harm our health (its raw and found in nature) but might stall our weightloss attempts (available for purchase by the jar (and bee-attack free!) we often over-indulge. For optimal health and wellness, I think eating no more than a tablespoon or two is a good place to start. Thats about 10-20 grams of sugars. Considering 30 grams of sugars a day is my personal limit, you get the idea.

also, vegans are notorious for not eating honey. And its always fun to do what the vegans dont do!
                              Thanks!! (and to Athena too!)

I think what you said is spot on about the ease it is to over-indulge in honey. After all, Grok would have had to work very hard and fight a LOT of bees to enjoy honey. I just feel that b/c people associate honey as a natural food (which it is) they tend to think that it's OK to eat as much as they want.

I, personally, feel that honey is OK from time to time. I was just curious to read what other people thought.

@Al - You're absolutely right. Nutrition is as personal as any other choice in life. If you're not enjoying it, what's the point.

Comment

Working...
                              X