Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what do I tell the butcher? Steer going to slaughter Thursday.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do I tell the butcher? Steer going to slaughter Thursday.

OK, I searched the FAQ and whatnot and didn't find an answer to this - if anyone knows a thread that answers this question, please give me a headsup.

I bought a steer, going to slaughter in a couple of days. I already know to ask the butcher for all the organs and fat - anything else to consider?

FWIW, it's .99/# on the hoof, plus processing is .60/# , the rancher does this as a hobby, the animal is an Angus cross, grass fed, no antibiotics or hormones.07-26-10_0914..jpg

Soup bones?

How cool!!

Sorry I don't have anything more useful to add besides drooling at the thought of all the beef/organ/marrow... uh... yup.

Comment

Basically, I told the butcher DON'T WASTE ANYTHING. That seemed to do the trick.

Comment

I haven't actually done this, but I was told the butcher can provide a "cut" sheet and you just have to make your choices.
        Strive for healthy today.

Satisfaction is the death of desire.

Comment

it depends on what you like.
          i do not like long cooked meat so this year i ordered burger and steaks along w organs, bones and such.

otherwise butchers have a pretty standard method and usually ask you about certain quantities of roasts/burger. also about types of steak; some are obvious but there's chuck steak which some may not prefer......

just call the butcher and they'll give you some good info.

Comment

Working...
          X