No announcement yet.

Anyone else do better on higher carbs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else do better on higher carbs?

I hit a fat lose plateau that I was stuck at for about a month and since I started eating more carbs I am noticably leaner (and lighter) now. I'm not talking grains. I have been eating some potato and even though it is on the fence for being primal, peas. I have also been eating a good amount of fruit since it is in season and I like to do the whole pick your own thing with the wife. I was keeping my carb intake between 50-100 but I am probably around 200 now. Strange but its working, for now. Lower abs here I come!
    "Live Free or Die"

well do you have a lot of weight to lose? i think leaner people stand a chance at doing better with more carbs due to hormones. plus, if you do primal for healt and dont need to lose weight, the whole 'eat fat to lose fat' thing doesnt apply.
    Get on my Level
    http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

I was 253 in February and as of this morning I am 174. So no I don't have alot of fat to lose anymore.
      "Live Free or Die"

Comment

I definitely feel better with more carbs in my diet! My weightlifting performance drops when I don't eat enough carbs (as of late) so I'm thinking about incorporating re-feeds a few times a week because my muscle glycogen must be low.
        "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

Comment

I do think that I feel less lethargic when I have some more carbs. If I go really low carb for a long time, I start to feel really... draggy, although I can still power through workouts. Also, I'm not trying to lose any weight (5'11" ~155).

Comment

I cycle my carb intake and it represents about 20 to 25% of my total caloric intake. It's helped me a lot in lowering my BF % while maintaining lean mass. For me it works like a jem.
            Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

Comment

Originally posted by MalPaz View Post
              well do you have a lot of weight to lose? i think leaner people stand a chance at doing better with more carbs due to hormones. plus, if you do primal for healt and dont need to lose weight, the whole 'eat fat to lose fat' thing doesnt apply.
              I felt better and lost weight on higher carbs when I was class 2 obese (BMI > 35) and I feel better and lose weight on higher carbs now when I have just a little weight to lose. It's a myth you can't lose weight on higher carbs.
              Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
              Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
              No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
              Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Comment

I just happened to notice I was losing weight and then figured out the only thing I had been doing differently was increasing my carb intake a bit. Who knows I will probably hit another plateau soon then I'll have to experiment and find something else that works lol.
                "Live Free or Die"

Comment

Originally posted by Mirrorball View Post
                  I felt better and lost weight on higher carbs when I was class 2 obese (BMI > 35) and I feel better and lose weight on higher carbs now when I have just a little weight to lose. It's a myth you can't lose weight on higher carbs.
                  I started at a BMI of 38 and last time I was checked I was down to 11. I noticed you have one more pound till your goal weight, congrats.
                  "Live Free or Die"

Comment

There's a bit of evidence to support a genetic difference - some people lose weight any way, some do better on low carb, others on higher carb. Unless you are long-term keto adapted and pretty dedicated to low carb, I think it is difficult to have terrific athletic performance VLC - though some adapted low carbers will avoid issues like bonking, which could be a great advantage. Everyone should do paleo, though

Comment

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
                      I do think that I feel less lethargic when I have some more carbs. If I go really low carb for a long time, I start to feel really... draggy, although I can still power through workouts. Also, I'm not trying to lose any weight (5'11" ~155).
                      Ditto that. I'm 5'3", about 15-16% bodyfat (female) and very active in general, beyond workouts. It's really easy for me to get only about 65-85g carbs daily for days at a time...but I too get "draggy" on that. I've actually been focusing lately on increasing my (primal) carbs, and it's tough! I'm lucky to get up to 125-150g, but I surely feel better when I do!
                      Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

Ive stopped working out do to some changes in goals, need and depression. When i began changing my diet and let the slack out on carbs i noticed a decrease in body fat. Maybe 12-10%. I lost up to 2% on my caliper. Though since i'm not working out now i'm growing again. perhaps I'll grow at a faster rate with the carbs then i would with out. Seems logical. I seemed to have swapped pasta for meat. I'm drinking soda again, eating pizza and pasta along with deli meat sandwiches so I've fallen off the boat. I suck at making pasta so i see myself shaping up to some degree as soon as Ive used the last of the pasta i purchased on sale. 10 for 10. and i think i'm about 7 pounds down with 3 to go. Another week or two and it will be gone and I'll be back to living strict. I'll try to notice and log my body fat between now and the next 5 weeks to see if i notice any yoyo going from strict to lenient back to strict.

Comment

I was staying pretty low carb around the 30 to 70 gram range and hit a plataeu too, but I started using potatoes and yams and starchier foods on my workout days postworkout and that has been helping me lean out alot too. I was kind nervous about going higher carb but just doin it on my workout days seems to help alot, but i also doubled and sometimes triple my fat intake on my workout days. so i'm not really sure if it's the carbs or the higher fat content thats helping either way i'm gonna stick to this routine for awhile and see how it works down the road. as far as carbs go on workout days i'm staying around 125 to 175 grams a day and then back to 30 to 70 grams on my rest days.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisous View Post
                            There's a bit of evidence to support a genetic difference - some people lose weight any way, some do better on low carb, others on higher carb. Unless you are long-term keto adapted and pretty dedicated to low carb, I think it is difficult to have terrific athletic performance VLC - though some adapted low carbers will avoid issues like bonking, which could be a great advantage. Everyone should do paleo, though
                            +1 as long as youre eating primally/paleo, I think carbs should be tailored to your goals and fitness level. Obese beginners do better intially VLC, but a fitter athlete doing PB needs to have the carbs to maintain and build the muscle and have that explosive power. I eat carbs based on what my activity level was for the day, the more active I was, the more carbs I eat. I am 5'7 24yr old female 125lb so that usually means anywhere from 30 grams to 150 grams a day for me. Our bodies all react to carbs differently so we need to experiment and find our sweet spot, but the leaner you get, the more carbs you should be incorporating in your diet, IMO, or else your muscle is at risk .

I have to try now to break 100 grams. If I didnt plan out my meals I would never eat more than 30 grams a day! But, my muscles thank me when I remember to throw a yam in the oven.

my main carb sources are:
                            yams and sweet potatoes.
                            asparagus/broccoli
                            blueberries/raspberries
                            avocado ( for "taco" night)
                            dark leafy greens
                            chocolate
                            bananas (1/2 one every third day or so)

Comment

I do the higher carbs on workout days and lower on rest days as well.
                              "Live Free or Die"

Comment

Working...
                              X