Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much FAT is too much fat

I think I am eating too much on PB

You'd have to write down what you're eating, in what quantities, etc., for us to have any possible way of saying yes/no.

That said, I'm assuming you're new to the "primal" way of doing things. In which case, you're a recovering CW-ite. Conventional wisdom has shoved it down the public's throat for years that eating fat is bad, regardless of the type of fat (except omega-3 fatty acids, they're allowed by CW). Take some time. Breathe calmly. Read the research.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

Comment

from my experiences one way to know is if you end up with stratarhea (sp?) basically fatty diahrea otherwise, you should be good to go...

Comment

about half of your calories should come from fat.

Comment

Originally posted by lmyers04 View Post
          HMM... not for everyone. it depends what works for the person. BIOFEEDBACK. more than half my calories are from fat
          Get on my Level
          http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Yeah, I'm in and around 45% fat........
            Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

Comment

At least more than half of my calories comes from fat. My carb intake I try to limit to 30 gms per day as per Dr Bernstein recommendation as I am type 2 Diabetic. I think the problem maybe then too much calories and probably too much protein! ugh this is so difficult to figure out!

Comment

Unfortunately, if you are used to overeating, it's easy to eat a lot of fat on PB, especially if you eat dairy. But whether it's too much depends on where you are. Do you want/need to lose weight, and how much?

I have lost about half of my excess weight on PB, and since then (3 months) have only maintained that loss. I believe it's due to eating too much fat, as my metabolism burns the dietary fat and there's no need for my body reserves to be used up.

I don't think fatty meat, chicken skin, coconut and avocado are problematic. For me, it's butter, cream, cheese, coconut cream... I can easily eat too much of those every day. As in 3-5 Tbs butter, up to 300g cheese, cup of cream - in addition to meat and veggies! Maybe I should try a non-dairy challenge again... However, all of this has not made me put the weight back on. So, if your goal is to maintain your weight and improve your body composition, well, then it is very hard to eat too much fat on PB!

Comment

Originally posted by Odar View Post
                  At least more than half of my calories comes from fat. My carb intake I try to limit to 30 gms per day as per Dr Bernstein recommendation as I am type 2 Diabetic. I think the problem maybe then too much calories and probably too much protein! ugh this is so difficult to figure out!
                  @Odar - you need to provide some details...what are your goals? how much do you consume (calories and grams)? what is the breakdown of fat, protein and carbs ( I know you said 30 grams of carbs)

In general, most people need their lean body mass (in lbs) x 0.7 = grams of protein
                  so say you are 200 lbs and 25% body fat, you have 150 lbs lean body mass x 0.7 = 105 grams of protein

the rest of your caloric needs would come from fat. You can figure your BMR (basic calories to maintain your weight) from an on-line calculator and adjust up or down depending on your goals.
                  "I am a member of PETA...People Eat Tasty Animals"

Comment

When Im doing keto for weight loss im at about 70% of my calories coming from fat. When im maintaining its about 55-60%. Been going for about 7 months and feel great. I say eat how you feel. If you feel lethargic and you want some, then eat it. If not then dont.
                    Natural Selection: http://ichoosenaturalselection.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by MalPaz View Post
                      HMM... not for everyone. it depends what works for the person. BIOFEEDBACK. more than half my calories are from fat
                      haha yes hence "about".

Mark suggests 1/2 cals from fat as a good starting point, and I still agree with this. More than 1/2 my calories come from fat on some days, less on others, so its not written in stone obviously, I just think its a good thing to keep in mind for someone thats unsure of how much fat they "should" be eating.

Comment

I do best at weight loss when about 70% of my calories are fat..but this is only when I'm eating absolutely 0 grain. (carbs from a small amount of veggies)...If I'm loading up on a little more carbs then 50% of my diet is fat.
                        The pain of discipline or the pain of regret? You choose.

Oh look - I made a Journal.

Comment

OK - I need to keep carbs at minimal or at least under 30grams due to type 2 diabets. My fat intake I feel is best at 70% of my total caloric intake... that just leaves me to reduce my protein consumption. So if all goes to plan, I should begin to lose excess weight especially belly fat right?

Comment

Originally posted by lmyers04 View Post
                            Lol i'm more at 75% fat hehe...my family and mainly my step sisters are terrified of fat and they are completely revolted by what I eat . I revel in their disgust ..I recall one occasion I cooked a half lb of ground beef with liberal amounts of organic butter, garlic and onions and got one of 'em to try it. She loved it, until I she saw the copious amounts of solidified fat encrusting the bottom. hehehehe

-odar Why do you think you say that? If it's because your gaining weight then I'd take a gander it's something else in your diet ...

Comment

Originally posted by Freedish View Post
                              Lol i'm more at 75% fat hehe...my family and mainly my step sisters are terrified of fat and they are completely revolted by what I eat . I revel in their disgust ..I recall one occasion I cooked a half lb of ground beef with liberal amounts of organic butter, garlic and onions and got one of 'em to try it. She loved it, until I she saw the copious amounts of solidified fat encrusting the bottom. hehehehe

-odar Why do you think you say that? If it's because your gaining weight then I'd take a gander it's something else in your diet ...
                              Hmm I want to drop the fat and although I only started PB on Monday, I was on a lowcarb diet for about a year... lost close to 15kgs but have since put back 10kgs - didn't up the fats but ate more protein I guess. I exercised like crazy and yeah when I stopped the exercise cause of injury I gained back a lot of weight ,, yeah and also probably sneaking in wrong carbs into my diet

Comment

Working...
                              X