Failure?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failure?

I pride myself on being able to eat primally ANYWHERE. People always ask "how do you eat out?", etc... but I find it usually very simple. Today I went to my cousin's house for dinner... not a cousin I am close to so she doesn't know what I am up to right now... I decided to wing it and prove how easy this is.

Unfortunately, she chose to make meatloaf. MEATLOAF??? Why do people feel the need to ruin perfectly good meat with bread crumbs and ketchup? Ugh... I had a small piece and some salad and some spinach. I don't physically feel bad and I know it's all in my head.

I haven't had anything even related to a grain in 6 weeks and honestly, I feel like this was out of my control... but I could just be making excuses.

What would you have done??
    Starting weight, June 10, 2010: 213 pounds
    Current weight, October 31, 2010: 177 pounds
    Goal: Happiness, Health, Hotness

Screw "moderation"!!

Well, I personally don't like meatloaf so I wouldn't have eaten it anyway (even when I was non-pb I didn't eat it)...But if I did like meatloaf, then yea, I would have taken a small piece and loaded up on the veggies..If you havent had any grain in 6 weeks a small amount of bread crumbs is not a failure in any way. Really not even worth thinking about IMO.
    The pain of discipline or the pain of regret? You choose.

Oh look - I made a Journal.

Comment

Originally posted by SheGlowsPale View Post
      Well, I personally don't like meatloaf so I wouldn't have eaten it anyway (even when I was non-pb I didn't eat it)...But if I did like meatloaf, then yea, I would have taken a small piece and loaded up on the veggies..If you havent had any grain in 6 weeks a small amount of bread crumbs is not a failure in any way. Really not even worth thinking about IMO.
      +1. That is pretty much what I would have done. I wouldn't worry about the small amount breadcrumbs in meatloaf. Just be glad she didn't make bakes ziti and garlic bread, ha ha

Comment

Seriously, it's like 0.5 - 1 cup of bread crumbs in 2lbs of meat. It's not a failure. It's enjoying something that was cooked for you in the spirit of love.

Comment

Originally posted by Roberta View Post
          +1. That is pretty much what I would have done. I wouldn't worry about the small amount breadcrumbs in meatloaf. Just be glad she didn't make bakes ziti and garlic bread, ha ha
          That's funny because she did ask me ahead of time what I like to eat and I said anything but Italian food

Screw "moderation"!!

Comment

I personally would have been more concerned about the quality of meat than a pinch of breadcrumbs. I think it is a bit extremist to feel like a failure over eating a tiny amount of wheat to be polite.
            For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Comment

Personally, I like meatloaf. I don't believe that the little bit of bread crumbs are an issue unless you have a reaction to the gluten.

I'll eat it when others make it and when we make it at home it's usually with elk, venison/and pork of its in the freezer. Very good.
              Never, never, never quit! -- Winston Churchill

Comment

Everything in moderation....including moderation

Comment

dont think of it as failure at all!

I too think its fairly easy to eat primally while out, but when it comes to eating at someones house, you've got to know you will have only ONE option! And, the fact that she asked you what you liked to eat before hand? c'mon girl, you could have totally 100% with pride said "MEAT!" (much better sounding than "oh IM vegetarian/vegan/etc" I dont think you failed at all but I have no sympathy

Comment

I feel for you, as I recently ordered a turkey burger at a somewhat upscale place and it turned out to be a mixture of meat, chopped vegetables, egg and breadcrumbs (I asked the waitress to check after I had a weird bite or two). And I ate it, too, though I am pretty serious about avoiding gluten for autoimmune reasons -- I was embarrassed to make a fuss since I'd just assumed it would be OK when I ordered it and I'd already asked for no bun and greens instead of fries. On top of everything, it was about the least appealing turkey burger I ever tasted, much less tasty than those made with just turkey.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your responses! I'm definitely not looking for sympathy and wasn't trying to be an extremist. What I was feeling a failure at was thinking I could be perfect anywhere I go... I understand that sometimes "life" will get in my way. And that I can only do the best I can at the time. What's important is that I know for a fact this lifestyle is the way I need to live. I'm not going to get down when things like this happen again. And yes, the quality of the meat itself sucked! LOL

Prairie - I totally feel your pain! I would have been so mad... one time many years ago when I did Atkins, I ordered a Diet Coke and had to take like 3 sips arguing with the server that it was regular Coke. Needless to say, I was less than pleased to find out I was right.

Screw "moderation"!!

Comment

[QUOTE=Lodini;168511]I understand that sometimes "life" will get in my way. And that I can only do the best I can at the time. What's important is that I know for a fact this lifestyle is the way I need to live. I'm not going to get down when things like this happen again. [QUOTE]

grrr life. I hear ya. I like your attitude though, thats what really matters. Having our quaint little primal bubbles popped is stressful, no matter what circumstances it is in, but being able to roll with the punches and learn from experiences and keep on truckin is what makes the difference......whether its in the mirror, or 60 years down the road. And honestly, Lodini, I do have lots of sympathy for you , because it really shouldnt be this difficult for one to eat healthy. And yet, it is a daily challenge for us. Our society is so wrong about a good 70% of its food choices, it is tough to navigate through it all day in and day out and still feel good about what you ate at the end of the day. Add in some social situations, and things can get hairy quickly! I often feel very alone in this struggle, but I like to think of others, like yourself, out there who care, too, and enjoy eating quality, healthy food. Hurrah for us!! Im ending this "failure thread" on a cheerful high note. Hurrah!!!!

Comment

Thanks, lmyers04!! I do feel better after reading all the responses and knowing that everyone goes through the same struggles

Screw "moderation"!!

Comment

I'm more concerned with your use of the word "failure"?

What would make you call something as simple as doing the best you could in the situation a failure? You've just gone 6 weeks Primal right?

Do yourself a huge favor... worry more about ditching the word FAILURE, than how many carbs were in the meatloaf

Words , if you let them, can be more harmful than anything. Also, if you can make yourself feel like a failure, then you can look for a way out, and possibly give up on Primal eating because you are not "perfect" .. which, and I know this from personal experience, is a COP-OUT, that will keep you in a start- stop cycle indefinitly.......

Comment

Working...
                            X