Just Indulged In Some 85% Cocoa Dark Chocolate For The First Time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Indulged In Some 85% Cocoa Dark Chocolate For The First Time

So I've been primal for nearly five months now and I've not yet indulged in dark chocolate... until today.

Now, I have never had a sweet tooth. Sweets have never tempted me and to be honest, I'm not crazy about candy, chocolate, or pastries.

Today I picked up some Lindt's Excellence 85% Cocoa Dark Chocolate (my only store option was WalMart today). It had only 8g of carbs for four (very large) squares of chocolate.

Now this... was good. I ate just one square after dinner and it was a great little treat. I would take this stuff over the sh%t Hershey's peddles any day!
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

Just wait until you try Green & Black's, or Ghirardelli, or Endangered Species brand! I also had a few squares of Lindt's today, interestingly enough.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

Comment

Lindt's and Green and Black are some of my favorites.

I'll have to give the other brands mentioned above a try as well.

Comment

My new favorite is Hachez 88%. It's a German brand, and they have it in my nearest big awesome grocery store (Wegmans), but I don't know how easy it would be to find elsewhere. I like it better than the Lindt, Sharffen Berger or Ghirardelli that are in the 80-90% range.
        "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Comment

I usually buy the ghirardelli 60% bittersweet baking chips, is that a bad choice? I notice a huge difference from brand to brand in the same % range in carbs, what up with that?

Comment

So i just did some looking and the sugars seem to be the same across lindt 85%, ghirardelli 86%, green and black 85% and 88% endangered species. But the total carbs range from 8-17g servings vary also but very little. So what would be the thing to look for?

Comment

After some calculations I figured the 60% chips are not very good for me to be eating

Comment

I personally look for no soy or other weird added ingredients. Lindt Excellence is my fave budget friendly find!
                The more I see the less I know for sure.
                -John Lennon

Comment

I would love one in the low 90s. Haven't found one yet, and I do prefer organic so thats an issue as well.

Comment

I like Lindt 90% - no soy.

Comment

Lindt makes a 90% I find sometimes, not organic though. Oddly the carb count is higher than for 85% -- a mystery I can't unravel, unless there's a mistake in their packaging.

Visiting my family in NY I recently found Godiva 85% (in a CVS drug store). Wow, is it good. Otherwise Ghirardelli and Green and Black are my favorite.

Target, oddly enough, is my go-to source for a good selection of superdark chocolate.

Comment

Yeah, Target usually has a pretty good selection of that kind of thing. I remember one guy here (can't remember the username) who said he had 100% dark chocolate... I wanna know how/where he got it!
                        Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
                        -- Blaise Pascal

Comment

Originally posted by Velocity View Post
                          Yeah, Target usually has a pretty good selection of that kind of thing. I remember one guy here (can't remember the username) who said he had 100% dark chocolate... I wanna know how/where he got it!
                          I see 100% girhadelli in Walmart around here and in the baking isle alot.

Comment

The World Market near my house carries 99% cacao - their own brand, admittedly, but when the ingredient list reads like this: "Dark Chocolate (chocolate liquor, sugar)" and the entire bar has 2g of sugar, I'm pretty tempted.

I might have bought eight bars the other day when they were priced at $1.50 each.
                            Primal, Minimal, Vagabond(al): Three New Leaves! Check out my blog!

And come say hi on Twitter, too!

Comment

Lake Champlain makes an 80% dark chocolate bar that is a blend of different African chocolates. It's AMAZING. Look for it in Whole Foods! :]

Comment

Working...
                              X