Currently underweight...please help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Currently underweight...please help!

Hi...for about a month I have been eating almost primaly (including goat cheese, butter & ghee) Just doing it to improve some digestive issues and overall health...before going primal I ate pretty much the same (but less meat ) including grains like quinoa,some rice and some beans ..(Never touch wheat, veg. oils or sugar).
    The thing is I have almost lost 11 lbs, currently leaving me at 113 lbs , 5ī6, 6% bf..28 y/o male...although it may sounds scarry I do have some muscle (much less than I used to have)...my digestive issues have improved but I cannot continue to lose any more weight...need to gain desperately.
    Should I include waaay more starch tubers, squash, potatoes, etc with looots of fat? (it seem carbs mix with fat is the explosive gain weight combo) or should I tried the high carb/low fat/mod protein approach? (from good carbs obviously)
    I eat tons of fat (not coconut cause I just doesnt agree with me), donīt count calories, etc....
    What should I do???help pls!!

Eating more food overall will help, and yes, eat more carbs. Try to eat more nuts, fruits, sweet potatoes, carrots, and other higher carb type veggies. Don't go crazy though. Just start off by adding a little at a time until you see yourself gaining. Maybe add an extra piece of fruit or two each day for a week, and see how you do. If you are still losing, add some more. However, you probably need more protein and fat too. Add a little more to those categories as well.

Comment

keep your meals balanced and just eat way more of everything. fat, protein, good carbs. Get some exercise and most importantly lots of sleep. Your body puts on weight while you slumber.
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the reply...I forgot to mention that I dont do well on nuts, fruits & eggs....should I give white rice a chance? or the HED diet ?(high everything diet)

Comment

primal HED
          sigpic

Comment

What is your exercise program like? Are you lifting heavy? Add an extra steak per day

Comment

while counting calories is not necessary for PB, I think you should keep a food journal for a week or two. Write down everything you eat and using an on-line nutrition tool, figure out how much calories you are getting and macro-nitrient breakdown.

From the sounds of it, you are not eating enough and your ratios are messed up
              "I am a member of PETA...People Eat Tasty Animals"

Comment

You are having the same problem that I am currently going through. Some people just cannot get in enough calories each day by listening to hunger levels alone (while eating primal), definitely doesn't work for me. Get on a schedule of eating, I know calories is what matters and not meal frequency, but for you (and I) skipping meals is not an option. I'd go with three meals to start, and yea using starchy tubers with butter and/bacon would be good, provides a good amount of calories and not as filling (space-wise) as vegetables. I agree with arthurb about the steak, in fact I'm having one for dinner

I also agree with Steve, use an online calculator like www.fitday.com to see how much you are eating, I use it to make sure I eat enough everyday; it's very helpful.

Comment

i have put on 10 lbs with primal eating. eat more protein(an excess) was the key in gaining for me and make sure you carbs are in excess. fat up or down seemed to not much impact my gaining
                  Get on my Level
                  http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

I agree with MalPaz, making sure you get plenty of protein is key. Carbs help but don't go overboard to the point that your digestion suffers. That and just eating more in general. It's taken a while for me to put on weight and I think most of that had to do with healing digestive issues first.

Comment

Thanks guys!...I use fitday on daily basis...usually hitting around 1.800 - 2.000 cls/day..ratios are usually F: 70% P:15% C:15%, weighlifting 2 x week
                      I IF for 17 hours almost 1 week ago...but I think this is not for me yet.
                      Any clue about how much calories do I need yo take?

Comment

You probably need more calories to gain weight, you can find a calculator online for what to eat to gain or lose pretty easily.

People seem to forget that the carb curve works in both directions! People wanting to lose weight should stay towards the lower end, while people trying to maintain or gain weight should stay towards the high end. In your case, you should definitely be closer to 150g of carbs per day, eating "denser" carbs like starchy tubers if you can to get more bang for your buck. Sweet potatoes/yams taste delicious, and are great vehicles for consuming butter Try to make one of your meals each day a BIG ass salad, with lots of various veggies, add a tuber or two to your other meals, and if you digest dairy well (can't remember if you mentioned this) go for some high quality yogurt/cheese as well.

Also, just go to the threads about people frustrated that they aren't losing, and do the opposite of what people say there
                        You are what you eat,
                        and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

Avarim, I was eating at least 2300-2500 cals a day to slowly gain weight and I'm female 5'2, 27 y.o.. I would say bump the protein up to start with. Then add more carbs if you can tolerate them. Don't reduce anything, just add more food.

Comment

15% PROTEIN wont help you gain i would up it to at least 25-30%
                            Get on my Level
                            http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys!...I will increase my protein intake...but doing so does it means to decrease a little carb?...I eat huge amounts of veggies..I mean HUGE..as the amount of butter use (4oz or more per day)..the only thing I can think of is really increasing my carbs...I been doing l/c (less than 100 gr) and then refeed for a day...but I think I will stick to daily amounts of carbs daily.
                              Any other advice?...could vitamin D help?

Comment

Working...
                              X