No announcement yet.

too fatty?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pasteurized milk of any variety tends to upset my stomach, but I don't care for my coffee black either. I've tried coconut milks with varying acceptance, but what I've truly stuck on is raw cream. It's amazingly delish, and hasn't been bothering my stomach at all. If you can find it, definitely give it a try

Comment

ok i should just harden up and drink it black and quit moaning.. but it is my vice. i tried coconut milk again as i bought the damn container and well, it seems (this is the third time now I tried it) I am only using about 1 small tbsp in my coffee that it makes me run to the toilet with not nice results. I dont know how common this is. I do have a sensitive stomach, as do my stink genetics with both my mom and brother have sensitive stomachs. Maybe that is why I never eat curry much as the coconut milk and or the curry always makes me feel a bit yuck.

so............

next attempt i think.

thanks for recipes. i have been making a hot cocoa like that but with splenda and almond milk i love chocolate things.

Comment

Milk hurts my stomach, bloating, etc. but I have no problem with cream. Try some real heavy cream in your coffee, not half and half. I love the taste, and if I put in a big dose it is substantial enough to serve as a light breakfast. Maybe try just a bit at first and see how it goes? I simply could not do primal without plenty of fats, and cream is my favorite. Good luck.

Comment

yo, i saw an article about hunters vs agriculturalists... that certain peoples bodies may be genetically more metabolically adapted to less fat and more carbs (not like crazy carbs) but do better with less saturated fat and fat in general and more fruits, yams etc.

i think cordain in a recent study wrote about how certain people will do better with more saturated fat then others and it was best on their ancestral heritage... maybe my body is more inclined to go this way. interesting. will keep quinea pigging myself

Comment

I'm not sure that the issues with UHT necessarily apply to coconut milk as they do to milk. UHT processing kills the good enzymes and bacteria that help us to digest milk. In milk, there are key fat soluble vitamins, A & D, that are broken down during any pasteurization, which is why synthetics have to be added in later.

Coconut fats however are renowned for stability at high temperatures which is why coconut oil is one of the most stable fats you can cook with. Stuff that goes into a can is heated and likely contains contaminants from the canning process. UHT coconut milk contains less harmful additives (I think the brand I use might have some citric acid in it). I use Kara Coconut Cream exclusively because I can buy it in quart sizes at a local asian market, the perfect amount for making ice cream. I think as long as you are incorporating many different sources of nutrients in your diet, using UHT coconut milk should be fine.

For folks who have trouble digesting coconut cream due to high fat content, eat more probiotic fermented foods to aid digestion. The reason you're probably having trouble is your body isn't used to consuming high amounts of saturated fat, so you need to help it a little. Eventually you'll get acclimated.
            My Blog

Food Photo Diary

Comment

As other people suggested you might need a little bit of time to adjust to the high fat intake, specially if you were not eating that much fat anyways. I know people that started eating a high amount of fat without time for adjusting and they felt nausea and got stomach upset that lasted several days. It went away after starting eating a smaller amount of fat and increasing gradually. Anyhow, in relation to your intolerance to lactose, have you considered raw milk? I know several people that are lactose intolerant and can digest raw milk easily since raw milk contain lactase. Fermented dairy product also help with digestion and thus maybe some kefir would be adequate and highly nourishing as well!

Comment

Digestive enzymes are helpful but in the case of fat breakdown need to consider bile. Its made in the liver and stored in the gallbladder. Biles role is to emulsify fats so that the enzyme lipase can then further breakdown the fat. If bile is inadequate, lipase cannot work on the fat properly so will not be digested properly. So you would need to take certain nutrients to increase bile production in the liver and/or increase bile flow from the gallbladder. Sometimes bile doesn't flow out of the gallbladder readily as its all sludgey so nutrients will help.

Comment

Originally posted by Sue View Post
                  Digestive enzymes are helpful but in the case of fat breakdown need to consider bile. Its made in the liver and stored in the gallbladder. Biles role is to emulsify fats so that the enzyme lipase can then further breakdown the fat. If bile is inadequate, lipase cannot work on the fat properly so will not be digested properly. So you would need to take certain nutrients to increase bile production in the liver and/or increase bile flow from the gallbladder. Sometimes bile doesn't flow out of the gallbladder readily as its all sludgey so nutrients will help.

Any suggestions on what to take to help that process Sue? I have been told I have trouble digesting fats so I have purchased some enzymes to take prior to each meal, but anything else that may be of benefit would be really interesting to know

Comment

Originally posted by TARNIP View Post
                    Any suggestions on what to take to help that process Sue? I have been told I have trouble digesting fats so I have purchased some enzymes to take prior to each meal, but anything else that may be of benefit would be really interesting to know
                    I was reading about this just recently (Dr Walsh) and the following nutrients were suggested: taurine, methionine, dandelion root, greater celandine, lecithin, artichoke, beet extract, choline. If you can find a product with a lot of these nutrients would be really good. I don't have a particular product in mind.
                    You can probably get some good digestive enzymes that contain bile. But in the end we want our digestive system working properly without the need for supplemental enzymes etc.
                    Last edited by Sue; 07-05-2011, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Thank you for that I couldn't agree with you more, my ultimate goal is to end up having a well functioning digestive system but from being on low fat diets my entire life and getting fatter, my body doesn't deal with fats to well and I really want to heal it The slightest addition of extra fats and I am practically running to the toilet and let's just say, it's not nice at all!!

Comment

Originally posted by TARNIP View Post
                        Try Superzymes from Vitamin Discount Center if you want to include bile salts, which might help with the digestion of fats, or else Source Naturals Essential Enzymes if you don't want to include them.

Comment

Working...
                        X