How much is too much?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much is too much?

I have switched to a pretty complete PB lifestyle, and have been successful for about 4 weeks now. I was curious how much Red Wine is too much? I do not have it every night but some nights 3-4 glasses, I am trying to lose fat and was wondering how bad this will affect my results? Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

It depends on your goals and how quickly you want to reach them. For me, almost any is too much. You just have to sort of feel it out. I guess a lot of it depends on your starting point too. If you've still got a lot to lose it might not slow you down as much as someone who's just trying to get rid of the last 5 pounds.

Comment

I'm like Diana.....wine just intices me to make crappy choices and the sulfites swell me up like crazy..........not worth the buzz IMO
      I'll just chill out with some GABA

Comment

Too much is never enough/set them up/and watch them faaaaaaaall....

Comment

It is too much if you can't remember the night before.

It is also too little if you can remember the night before.

HMMMMM...

Comment

what is GABA? and Darth, what are you talking about?
            Last edited by Stevoreo; 07-21-2010, 05:42 PM.

Comment

i think what you need to do is determine yoru goals and then experiment. unless you are hitting it hard i would say the most that would happen is it will make you hold on to fat more and might impede muscle growth. 3-4 glasses a night is a lot ofsome empty calories to deal with, but then again as i hear it the french typically have a whole bottle at lunch.

Comment

A whole bottle? must be nice, have noticed since starting PB that that the wine hits me a lot faster, which is good I guess.

Comment

just remember that everytime you drink, your body is going to be burning only the alcohol, and nothing else, for a good while.

Comment

Alcohol is a toxin to the liver! Tiny doses may be fine with tiny frequency. Note, I am not of the "moderation" camp, but of the TINY dose, rarely camp. Total elimination of alcohol won't hurt you. Moderate intake might.

Comment

If your goals are fat loss, 4 glasses of wine ain't helping. It's all about your priorities, really. But booze most definitely impedes fat loss and fitness gains.
                      If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

as lmyers mentioned, when you injest alcohol the priority in your body is now focus on oxidizing the alcohol and ridding this 'toxin' from your system. If you consider it typically takes your body to oxizide one drink an hour and you are having three to four drinks a night, that's three to four hours where your body is not doing anything other than ridding your body of alcohol.

It's up to you whether or not you'd rather be buring fat or oxidizing alcohol.
                        I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

Definitely rather be burning fat, my mid section fat is the last hurdle for me and I believe the wine is why it stays, thanks for all of the good info....

Comment

wow, 3-4 glasses sounds like ALOT...although, I don't drink..so even 1 glass is 1 too many...your poor liver....seriously, daily alcohol never gives it a rest..it's such a precious organ....that's just me though....I couldn't imagine drinking alcohol on purpose.....what a lightweight.. ;-)

Comment

Yes -- your body will burn alcohol preferentially. This means that if you were in ketosis, alcohol will boost you out (you'll burn the alcohol instead of fat). Regardless of ketosis, your body will put fat-burning on hold until the alcohol is out of your system.

So ask yourself, before pouring that glass of wine: Am I willing to sacrifice 1-2 hours of fat burning for this?

If you are, go ahead. But more than 2 glasses per day (for a man) is harmful in other ways -- liver damage, etc.

Also, many people note that alcohol makes them let down their guard on food quality and quantity, and too much can also impact the next several days worth of workouts.

IMHO, an occasional night of heavy buzz (say, 4-5 drinks, once a month) is okay -- but daily? Not a good idea.
                              Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

Working...
                              X