No announcement yet.

How did you kick the caffeine habit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've gone back and forth on coffee. I tend to slip into caffeine dependency quite easily - and my "one" cup a day will sometimes end up being 4 or 5. When I get to that point, I go through the process of weaning again - only to start up a few months later swearing I won't become reliant on it for energy.

At this point, I'm drinking 1 - 2 cups per morning with heavy cream. I'm not sure how I feel about this.

To quit drinking coffee, I started drinking tea instead. I found the ritual of having some sort of warm beverage in the morning to be enough to keep me from actually drinking coffee. The headaches lasted about a week, and were the worst part.

I find I feel best when I've replaced my morning cup with matcha tea. I know matcha contains caffeine but I find the energy from a cup of matcha is far more sustaining and I am much less dependent on it. Maybe a good comprimise.

Good luck!
    Robin
    ~primal mama to 3~

Comment

half caf baby

The thing that people sometimes forget is the ritual part of drinking coffee.

For me few things are better than my first cup of coffee in the morning.

People talk about needing their coffee in the morning for the buzz or that they are useless before their morning coffee or whatever, but the truth is that the cup of coffee in the morning is actually a relaxing and soothing experience (before the caf jolt). It signals a new day and starts it with a pleasureful experience. I hope to never give it up. However I can easily go without caffeine.

The question I have is how much coffee do you drink- and is coffee your primary source of caf coffee?

A couple years ago I was drinking a lot of reg coffee and then missed a day and had a screaming headache that night. I decided to cut right then.

So I started grinding half reg, half de-caf. First of all, you can't tell the difference in taste especially if you are getting premium coffees. Second you are getting half the amount of caffeine immediately. I think I may have had to drink a few extra cups a day at first to get the caffeine but I think that was more psychological than anything else. If you feel that you need to drink more half caf in the beginning then let yourself. I never got headaches from the immediate lesser dose.

Your body will get use to accepting your caffeine "doses" as smaller. Do this for a couple of weeks, a month. Start mixing in full decaf for your afternoon coffee if you drink in the afternoon. Then try to make your morning coffee a decaf.

Throughout the month try to get down to an average of 2-3 cups a day. It shouldn't be hard at this point to get down to drinking just 1-3 cups a day of half-caf

After a couple weeks or a month cut down to 1/4 caf. Do this for a couple weeks, then just go to drinking decaf.

I have made the assumption that you love to drink coffee, if this is not the case then just drink half caf for a couple weeks while slowly replacing full cups of your afternoon half caf with full on decaf once or twice in your day.

The key is that you will be used to drinking coffee without getting caffeine. Then you can just stop whenever you like. The nice thing is that once you are over the caf addiction and do want a cup of coffee for the flavor you can always have a de-caf.

The truth is that if you are going Primal then you should be getting enough sleep and eating right so the need for coffee as a pick me up drug is not necessary because you shouldn't have the energy spikes. Therefore it's just a matter of breaking the habit/ritual. As I say drinking coffee for me is a "habit" or "ritual" I happen to love and do not want to give up, however I can easily go without caffeine now.

So tomorrow purchase good quality de-caf and enjoy.

Comment

Excercise in the morning instead of having your coffee, the endorphins will give you that energy boost. Drink some decaf if you must, make it weaker than usual. I had some coffee this morning and now I'm paying for it, having some crashes and feeling a bit drained. I feel much better when I just workout in the morning.
        I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I've gone cold turkey and hated being coffee-less. Did not make me a happy person. My current rule is 3 cups max / day, with the afternoon one coming by 4 at the latest. At some point I might cut out the PM cup but that is an addiction tougher than smoking was.
          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

i just switched to decaf. it still has some caffeine, but trace amounts, and I never had more than one cup per day, so I feel absolutely no effects from 1 cup of decaf coffee. I've even drank it at 10pm and was able to fall fast asleep.

Comment

Ugh, I've been trying to give up coffee forever because I get the adrenaline/cortisol connection and I don't think it's a good idea to rely on coffee for energy but without it I am really worthless. I only drink one (usually small) coffee a day mid morning and I really feel like I still need it but I am hoping to get to the point soon that I have enough energy without it and I can use coffee as an occasional treat or for the rare times I need to stay up late or whatever. Sorry, I have no idea how to kick the habit. Maybe just try to not have it on the days where you got a good nights rest the night before and go from there...

Comment

I tried it a while ago cold turkey, and had major headaches for 2-3 days. It was miserable. I slid back into my routine shortly afterward, and I'm keeping it to 3 cups a day most of the time. I think I'll cut that to 2 without much trouble, one in the morning and then my 2:30pm cup.

I think that even if I didn't get the headaches I'd still drink coffee. It's not that I notice an energy boost or anything, I just really like having a cup of coffee in the morning. It's yummy.

I've cut out all bread, pasta, rice, cereal, milk, peanuts, peanut butter, chocolate bars, chips and dip, nachos, chicken fingers, garlic toast, potatoes, beans, and almost all the alcohol from my diet this year. I am not fucking giving up my coffee too.

Comment

Originally posted by Bane View Post
                  I tried it a while ago cold turkey, and had major headaches for 2-3 days. It was miserable. I slid back into my routine shortly afterward, and I'm keeping it to 3 cups a day most of the time. I think I'll cut that to 2 without much trouble, one in the morning and then my 2:30pm cup.

I think that even if I didn't get the headaches I'd still drink coffee. It's not that I notice an energy boost or anything, I just really like having a cup of coffee in the morning. It's yummy.

I've cut out all bread, pasta, rice, cereal, milk, peanuts, peanut butter, chocolate bars, chips and dip, nachos, chicken fingers, garlic toast, potatoes, beans, and almost all the alcohol from my diet this year. I am not fucking giving up my coffee too.

honestly, I dont think you really have to. As far as cortisol/adrenaline being released, I dont think we realize how often these hormones are released in our body anyway. any form of weightlifting will release both of those hormones, as well as running, seeing a scary movie, having an argument, having intense sex, eating too much, what have you. This thread is a great example of how trying to give up coffee due to fear of elevated cortisol is actually stressing people out MORE. coffee is not going to make or break you, or lead to adrenal failure imo, especially if you are eating well and moving often (which, if youre on this forum, you probably are). pounding, lets say, 5 cups a day will certainly not help your cortisol levels at all, though, and excessive caffeine drinking like this could lead to adrenal issues, possibly.

I personally switched to decaf because I was having trouble going to sleep, and I wanted to be more in tune with my natural (not caffeine-stimulated) energy levels throughout the day. I will have a 1/2 caf or full-caf, im feeling sassy, during an IF to boost my metabolism, something that martin from LG recommends from time to time.

I love my coffee press and grinder, and love savoring the flavor of fair trade and organic coffees from around the world. Every time I have a good cup, it relaxes me, and makes me smile and appreciate life. cortisol who?

oh and p.s. Mark Sisson likes his coffee too, last time I checked.
                  Last edited by lmyers04; 07-22-2010, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Thanks everyone! I like the switching to decaf idea! I do love the taste of coffee... mmmm! I don't drink an afternoon cup. I usually drink about 2-3 cups before noon.

I am feeling a ton better and more energy now in the morning thanks to primal eating and vitamin D... It makes me want to give up caffeine because I honestly don't need the boost.

I drink now for the ritual/flavor and to avoid headaches.

Comment

Originally posted by LemonFreshScent View Post
                      Thanks everyone! I like the switching to decaf idea! I do love the taste of coffee... mmmm! I don't drink an afternoon cup. I usually drink about 2-3 cups before noon.

I am feeling a ton better and more energy now in the morning thanks to primal eating and vitamin D... It makes me want to give up caffeine because I honestly don't need the boost.

I drink now for the ritual/flavor and to avoid headaches.
                      I had headaches for about a week. They do go away, though, so perhaps give it another go soon. At first I thought taste would be compromised with decaf, but I find I cannot tell the difference at all......and I'm sort of a coffee snob, too! I also find comfort in routine and ritual.

Comment

I love coffee, black with no sugar! Don't give it up! Martin from LG and Mark sisson both enjoy their coffee.

Does the intense sex thing pertain to Males or females??
                        "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrappler View Post
                          Does the intense sex thing pertain to Males or females??
                          In this case... cortisol... shmortisol... hehe

Comment

lol, im just wondering, i mean, the guys getting the workout right? I got mad hungry last night 0_o
                            "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

Comment

id say both parties are having significant hormonal fluctuations....but I'd probably guess the male would be at least burning more calories?

Comment

Hell yeah, if that wasn't a calorie burning high intensity workout, i dont know what is -___-

Comment

Working...
                                X