Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotta love bad nutritional advice...

http://health.yahoo.net/articles/nut...r-grocery-cart

This is probably one of the worst ones I've read in a while. Its almost condescending..which makes it even worse that it's wrong.
    The pain of discipline or the pain of regret? You choose.

Oh look - I made a Journal.

Comment

Is that a joke?

I am serious... this is ridiculous. Thousands of people are going to read that, take action and thus be on there way to poor health.
      Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

wowww people get paid to write this shit...

Comment

Wow, that reminds me of a bit from Animal House

Bluto: "My advice to you is to start drinking heavily."
          Otter: "Better listen to him, Flounder, he's in pre-med."
          http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

too bad there is no comment section on that article
            I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

There are comments, you have to log into yahoo to do it, though. I logged in and 98% of the comments are really fairly intelligent and saying what a load of b.s. the article is. You can also vote thumbs up or down on each individual comments, and those comments have tons of thumbs up, and the couple that agree with the article have tons of thumbs down.

So while the article is ridiculous, I was actually fairly heartened by the intelligent replies. For once! I stopped after a short time, though, I like leaving on a good note...
              sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Comment

I think I'm becoming a conspiracy theorist when it comes to anything related to nutrition as handed down from "experts" (especially government funded experts) for why would they want a healthy nation? A nation that required minimal care and treatment? A nation that ate the way they were meant to and thusly enjoyed a better quality of life in the many forms I have personally experienced.

Fuck, whenever I think about the fact that I literally haven't been sick since February (start of PB) it amazes me that everybody thinks my/our way of eating/living is unhealthy. I haven't even gotten a cold, and I used to get them constantly. It may not even be related, but I want to believe that eating WAY more nutritionally dense food that is in accordance with my needs and way less of the shit that is literally polluting supermarkets (and I work in "the industry" so I see this shit all the time) along with our citizens so there's GOT to be some correlation. I keep telling this to everyone that tells me skim fucking milk is better for me.

Would it really be below the Powers that Be to do some shit like this? Fuck no. They can make their money coming and going, sell the poison, sell the cure.
                I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                  I think I'm becoming a conspiracy theorist when it comes to anything related to nutrition as handed down from "experts"
                  The more I learn, and the more fully I immerse myself in the world of science and resarch, the more I'm convinced it's simple incompetence rather than conspiracy.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Originally posted by cillakat View Post
                    The more I learn, and the more fully I immerse myself in the world of science and resarch, the more I'm convinced it's simple incompetence rather than conspiracy.
                    Amen. I had a doctor growing up whom I continue to respect (among other things he stressed the importance of whole foods, and refused to consider ADD medicines for ill mannered youths such as myself), but now that I'm older and some of my friends are going into medicine, I realize that not every MD is a genius, and some are just "along for the ride" and will believe whatever they are told. Not a knock on them, as it's just human nature, but the intellectually curious are probably in a minority in med schools.

Comment

Originally posted by cillakat View Post
                      I used to work for the government (feds and local). After three years of non-sense, I realized that what you say is true. There is no conspiracy. It's all just a huge cluster of incompetence and apathy.

Comment

Originally posted by mdlaw View Post
                        Amen. I had a doctor growing up whom I continue to respect (among other things he stressed the importance of whole foods, and refused to consider ADD medicines for ill mannered youths...snip.... but the intellectually curious are probably in a minority in med schools.
                        +1 on the lack of intellectual curiosity of med students. That's absolutely been my experience.

Now in regards to stimulant medications..... Looking back, I certainly wish there had been an ADHD diagnosis in my past *and* appropritate medication. Had there been, I might have been able to make it through college and <gasp> medical school. I have the interest and an severe affliction of curiosity when it comes to all things science, health, medicine and the evolution of human behavior. An appropriately early diagnosis and interventions would likely have very much been beneficial to me. I like to think things would have gone very differently for me.

Stimulant medications have changed my life and for that I am grateful. However in my more wistful moments, it certainly feels like 'too little, too late'.

My husband is an attorney. He had an ADHD diagnosis as a child but was never offered medication. As an adult, he does take medication and wishes that he'd have been given the opportunity to use in his younger years, the focus that medication gives him now.

Comment

Originally posted by xendaddy View Post
                          I used to work for the government (feds and local). After three years of non-sense, I realized that what you say is true. There is no conspiracy. It's all just a huge cluster of incompetence and apathy.
                          *nods*

And xendaddy, fwiw, I've read your journal and applaud you for the positive changes you're making.

TOTD: Be sure you're getting sufficient vitamin D. My linked document below has some information.

Comment

The sad part about all of this bad advice is how potentially dangerous it is. I really hope at some point the word will get out on proper nutrition, but we seem a long way away from that. Things like the Carb Lover's Diet just blow my mind, or this recent article from Diabetes Forecast:

http://forecast.diabetes.org/magazin...ple?page=0%2C0

Hope Warshaw is sadly misguided in her ideas, yet she is seen as some sort of Diabetic Meal Planning Guru. That article is littered with cherry-picked statements like "skim milk has more protein than full fat."

Self magazine does that kind of stuff all the time in their "health flashes"...or they'll say something correct about avocado or almond butter being healthy choices and then suggest a way to get it into your diet is to spread it on toast. :P

It just seems irresponsible and potentially dangerous, and I find it sad.
                            www.dontcallmesugar.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                            X