Post-workout Carbs: Good or Bad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post-workout Carbs: Good or Bad?

It is commonly accepted in the body building community that one should take (starchy) carbs immediately after a workout (ie in your post-workout protein shake) and then again in the post-workout meal, say, an hour after finishing the workout.

What are people's opinion on this? In the body building world, its considered a given.

DS

I think it depends on your goals........If building muscle is the focus, then insulin is your friend along with a positive energy balance.
    Carbs are basically to help replenish glycogen and the resulting initial insulin response helps move that glucose into your muscles so that you have the energy for your next workout along with amino acids that provide protein synthesis. If a person, and in your scenario a body builder, is eating to build muscle then they have all the glucose that is needed ( from diet) to facilitate protein synthesis and a normal pwo meal will still get the job done, there is no need for a big insulin response. There's also no need for quick absorbing carbs in a pwo drink...the whey protein powder all on its own will be enough to facilitate that insulin response.........it's a little confusing and most of that confusion is primarily based on individual goals, what is optimal for you, can be the total opposite for someone else.
    Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

Comment

I used to add a scoop of Gatorade powder, to get the insulin spike, to my pwo shake but stopped doing that after joining the PB bandwagon.....Will be interesting to see if dropping the Gatorade powder from my pwo shake that helps with my....dare I say.....cutting :-)

For time being, my focus is fat loss (single digit bodyfat)....

DS

Comment

I'd say good.

If you're lifting weights and trying to cut down to single digit BF, then a side goal (but just as important as the main goal) should be to retain as much muscle as possible during your cut. Otherwise, why not just not eat, you'll drop weight no problem!

Anyway, carbs help elicit an anabolic response, and if kept strictly post-workout, then its not a bad thing at all.

Comment

Good if performance/muscle gains are your goals.
          .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
          ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Originally posted by rphlslv View Post
            Good if performance/muscle gains are your goals.
            +1

A PWO sweet potato lets me keep kicking ass in the gym for each and every one of my workouts. I spent a few months without, just as a test, and even when mentally pushing myself past my boundaries, it just wasn't the same.

Comment

I IF post workout. Doesn't eating right after .. like RIGHT after (I've seen guys drink their shake before even changing their clothes) stop the production of HGH? I'd wait an hour...

Edit: My goals are fat loss coupled with strength gains, I figure if you're already single digit lean then I wouldn't be so strict and could have it right away, or just not wait too long. I want to have HGH around pwo to keep burning fat and then eat so insulin can do its thing. Remember though, that insulin works against fat loss, so to speak.

Again, I love to be corrected when wrong, I'm here to learn after all ...
              Last edited by iniQuity; 07-21-2010, 12:29 PM.
              I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Chefgerry View Post
                I think it depends on your goals...
                +1

Good for strength/performance enhancement focus.

Not so good for bodyfat loss focus.
                Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

Originally posted by BarbeyGirl View Post
                  +1

Good for strength/performance enhancement focus.

Not so good for bodyfat loss focus.
                  Must the two be so separate though? I feel I've enjoyed both fat loss AND strength gains through waiting at least an hour prior to consuming any food. However, the strength gains could just come from simply stressing the muscle...
                  I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Eating a little starch helps fuel those hungry muscles. I stopped for awhile, but have jumped back into it since realizing the importance of a little carbohydrate after a glycogen-depleting workout. Not always, but at least occasionally. I'll be making this for me and a friend after my Crossfit workout tonight:

2-3 sweet potatoes cut like french fries

1 tbsp chili powder

1 tbsp paprika

1/2 tbsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp cayenne

black pepper to taste

sprinkle of sea salt

1/4 – 1/2 cup olive oil

Preheat oven to 375. In a large bowl, whisk all spices together with the olive oil and then toss the sweet potato spears in the olive oil mixture until all the spears are coated. Line a cookie sheet with tin foil and evenly spread the potato spears on the foil. Bake for 25-30 minutes, turning the spears over half way through the cooking time.

Yummy! Can't forget the steak! ;-)
                    On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

Comment

Thanks for asking this, I've been going back and forth about the post workout thing. I have some pure whey isolate that I like to take in various forms, I have no idea how to keep my protein in the 100-150g territory without it.

Draft PWO shake:
                      1 scoop whey isolate
                      1/2 cup raw whole milk
                      1/2 cup coconut milk
                      Either a cup of berries or pure cocoa + honey

That'll get about 35 g of protein, a bit more if I add a raw egg. Should it be sweeter though, for the whole glycogen thing? I could add in bananas, but I'm not going to start cooking yams every day. Don't like them much for one thing.
                      If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                        Must the two be so separate though? I feel I've enjoyed both fat loss AND strength gains through waiting at least an hour prior to consuming any food. However, the strength gains could just come from simply stressing the muscle...
                        Well, of course.

Almost everyone will still get leanness benefits from workouts even if they eat carbs afterwards, and strength benefits from workouts even if they fast afterwards.

The difference is in MAXIMIZING benefit.
                        Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

I have been toying with this idea... source http://robbwolf.com/

2 scoops of whey
                          1/2 cup coconut milk
                          2 tbsps of pure cocoa powder
                          1 tsp of vanilla extract ( for flavor )
                          1-2 scoops of veggie powder
                          Water/ice.

Following this up with a big juicy steak and boat load of veggies.

Comment

Dont under estimate how much protein you can acquire from consuming a large steak.
                            "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrappler View Post
                              Dont under estimate how much protein you can acquire from consuming a large steak.
                              Definitely. I get 250-300 grams of protein from food alone. So easy. CAFO meats > protein powders.

Anyways, carbs pre-workout are equally - if not more - important.
                              .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
                              ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Working...
                              X