Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Confused? Are carbs really that important?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MalPaz View Post
    veggi wise, i think roots & tubers are better than your 'greens' for the simple fact theyre more digestable, and more chance youll actually absorb what's in them

just my opinion
    I think this is a really good point. In evolutionary terms, I doubt we ever ate the 'green leafy' stuff. Not all that easy to digest and utilize, low caloric content, bitter taste....why would we have bothered when those tubers (probably near a water source) would have done the trick?

Again, just an opinion.
    Retirement has afforded me the ultimate affluence, that of free time (Sahlins/Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by MalPaz View Post
      veggi wise, i think roots & tubers are better than your 'greens' for the simple fact theyre more digestable, and more chance youll actually absorb what's in them
      But aren't tubers a no no according to the PB and Paleo?

Comment

Originally posted by Chaohinon View Post
        I think carbs are just the smoke that comes after the fire. If you eat according to PB/paleo-ish standards, even going as far as to include lots of tubers, you'll find it quite hard to break 150-200g of carbs. Throw in a moderate amount of daily activity, and you're good to go.
        Seems as sensible as it gets. That is how I've always seen it, but after reading about how much hardcore influence is put on stacking up on veggies all the time I just got to thinking is all.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
          As a one-person experiment, I gravitate towards the slab-of-meat-with-a-handful-of-veg diet style. Trying to cram in more plant matter than I wanted made me give up halfway through meals, feel full/nauseous / hungry again later etc.
          Now having read around various sites, I feel more confident that my body will tell me what it wants. Right now it wants mainly meat, rare to the point of running away. Yesterday it wanted (shock, horror!) an apple with almond butter. This week it's been mainly meat. In fact, now I've given myself permission to fall halfway between "proper" PB and "zero carb" I feel a lot better.

For example, the other day I had a nice fat steak, with just one beetroot (the root plus the leaves) on the side. Yummy!

I do supplement, just in case (and because I have other issues going on).
          This is how my system/brain works also. I like to just follow whatever it is my body is telling me(sensibly of course) that day or at that particular meal and go with the flow. If I FEEL like veggies, which lately I have been craving pretty badly (OMG!), then I'll eat them, even to the point where guilt starts crawling into my mind(after years of portion restricting habits) that I'm overdoing it. But some days I'd rather just have fruits....and some days just meat meat meat (most days). I believe in listening intuitively to my own body and what it's telling me too.

Comment

Originally posted by MumtazG38 View Post
            But aren't tubers a no no according to the PB and Paleo?
            I'm pretty sure yams and/or sweet potatoes are OK in PB.

I think the main thing about carbs is that it is SO easy to overload on them. If you eat too much fat or protein, your body will rebel; but at least for me, if I eat too many carbs, I can just keep going and going and going. So that's something I need to keep an eye on.

Comment

when it comes to: if its better to have hard to digest(more energy used to break down food) Vs. easier to digest( nutrients are absorbed faster and more of them) carbs, i think both are great. i eat the higher starch/tuber/root(easy to digest) carbs raw and the leafy greens(harder to digest) slightly cooked so i have a mix of raw and cooked food on my plate. when veggies are raw, they have digestive enzimes in them to help break down food in your gut, but some veggies(mostly green) have so much fiber that people do not have a gut that's strong enough to break down the fiber so you cant absorb the nutrients. cooking softens the fiber is greens so you can break them sow easier whaile the higher starch i go raw because most of them have very high enzime profiles and less fiber.
              sorry if this post doesnt go with the topic, i saw some people posting about it and i thought i would give mythoughts on it

Comment

Working...
              X