Unhealthy food immediately after a workout

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unhealthy food immediately after a workout

I've read that the body directs the glucose from carbohydrate-heavy food into muscle stores, if the food is taken immediately following an intense bout of physical exertion.

So suppose I go and knock out a 15-minute session of high-intensity interval training, or maybe 40 minutes of hardcore strength training.

Would the first 30 minutes after this exertion be the best time to eat my favorite dessert? I have a weakness for lemon meringue pie. If I eat a slice under these circumstances, is some or most of the damage offset?

mmmmm sugar. barf.

Comment

Don't kid yourself. If Grok found a Dairy Queen in the middle of the forest he'd live there. The state of the average person's health is today is what happened when Grok discovered Dairy Queen.

That being said does anyone have a relevant answer?

Comment

Originally posted by p.grant View Post
        Don't kid yourself. If Grok found a Dairy Queen in the middle of the forest he'd live there. The state of the average person's health is today is what happened when Grok discovered Dairy Queen.

That being said does anyone have a relevant answer?
        I am smarter than grok, thats why i dont go to Dairy Queen

enjoy your pie though!

Comment

I've read that the body directs the glucose from carbohydrate-heavy food into muscle stores, if the food is taken immediately following an intense bout of physical exertion.

So suppose I go and knock out a 15-minute session of high-intensity interval training, or maybe 40 minutes of hardcore strength training.

Would the first 30 minutes after this exertion be the best time to eat my favorite dessert? I have a weakness for lemon meringue pie. If I eat a slice under these circumstances, is some or most of the damage offset?
          In this case the sugar is not really the problem. The problem is all the other shit commonly found in desserts. Trans fats, vegetable oils, etc. Now if you can make your own home made dessert with primal ingredients, then have at it.
          .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
          ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

sugar. cancer cells love the stuff.

http://current.com/1o8t64c

http://www.naturalnews.com/001812.html

http://www.drheise.com/cancersugar.htm

just a few links.
            Last edited by lmyers04; 07-20-2010, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lmyers04 View Post
              sugar. cancer cells love the stuff.
              .... I'm pretty sure he doesn't have cancer.
              .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
              ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Originally posted by rphlslv View Post
                .... I'm pretty sure he doesn't have cancer.
                newsflash. we all have cancer cells in our body.

Comment

A lot of successful bodybuilders do indulge in sweets after their workouts from time to time. But they work out every day for extended periods. They're burning a lot of energy. Also, indulging in sweets is such a slippery slope. It's not much of a leap to go from a piece of pie after one of my two weekly sprint sessions to thinking, "Whew, that was a nice long walk. Better replace my glycogen stores, just in case."

If that is to be your only indulgence, it probably won't matter too much. Eat it if you want. But ideally, if you want sweets, you should go with a fruit salad or something, mostly for the reasons rphlslv mentioned.
                  You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

I'm 26 and in excellent physical condition. However I do scratch the pie itch a couple times a year. I'm a pretty good cook, too. I would bake it myself, probably mixing in quinoa or almond flour so it's not 100% white flour, but there is no getting around the sugar, except to use moderately less of it than most recipes call for. The point is, if the muscles have immediate need for the glucose, that's where the converted sugar goes.

Comment

The point is, if the muscles have immediate need for the glucose, that's where the converted sugar goes.
                      Yes, but it still has an inflammatory effect on the tissues. Still, if it's not a chronic occurance, it probably won't matter much.

Comment

Originally posted by Primalchild View Post
                        Also, indulging in sweets is such a slippery slope. It's not much of a leap to go from a piece of pie after one of my two weekly sprint sessions to thinking, "Whew, that was a nice long walk. Better replace my glycogen stores, just in case."
                        Oh I agree absolutely. Even before I knew about the paleo diet, I rarely ate sweets, Western desserts are significantly sweeter than the type my family ate traditionally. If I knock out a couple slices of quality pie, I'm good for many months. And if I can knock out those slices under the right conditions, the impact is lessened further still.

Comment

Haha.. with that kind of frequency, it's a total nonissue. Enjoy.

Comment

if physical appearance is your only concern, then i understand. Just saying, there ARE health risks with consuming sugar, even if it is only a couple of times per yer. How many more years do you plan on living? 50? 60? 70? thats a lot of extra sugar ingested. But, to each his own.
                            Last edited by lmyers04; 07-20-2010, 12:10 PM.

Comment

No you don't really need glucose after weight training, your just looking for a maximum opportunity for protein synthesis, and that will happen with glucose just above baseline and actually the protein you consume PWO will give you all the insulin spike needed anyway. The sugar is to replenish muscle glycogen and we don't need to do that PWO, you just need to make sure that you replenish enough glycogen for your next workout, and there's plenty of time for that if you not training later the same day.....if you are then some carbs pwo would be ok. More importantly you need to make sure you have a decent amount of protein in you pre workout simply because pumping all those amino acids into your muscle during a workout is not too shabby an idea along with any other nutrients that happen to be in that same meal........like antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. There's no need for sugar before or after any workout like HIIT or weight training........there could be an argument when doing long distance cardio like running or biking because protein and fat take too long for the glucose conversion, and simple sugars may be more effective. imo.
                              Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

Comment

Working...
                              X