No announcement yet.

POLL: Do You Eat Dairy? Raw?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I consume raw dairy daily... either milk, cream, cheese, or yogurt. I only eat a small amount but I tolerate it well so I keep it in my diet in moderation.
    Cheers, Primal-Belle

Comment

I only drink raw milk (generally in smoothie form) - I don't like to drink pasteurized milk, so when I don't have raw milk I sub with almond milk (again, this is typically in smoothie form).

I always have heavy cream around for coffee & tea (raw or pasteurized, I'm not picky). I have yogurt in smoothies & will eat cottage cheese, cheddar cheese & feta cheese on a fairly regular basis.

I enjoy dairy, but have cut back drastically in an effort to curb eczema & weight gain that are likely partially due to dairy consumption (I have already cut all grains out of my diet completely).
      Robin
      ~primal mama to 3~

Comment

Milk, cheese, yogurt, sour cream. Never raw.

Comment

Are only the dairy eaters replying to this one?

I dropped dairy several months ago as experiment. Haven't really missed it but last week ran out of lard and knew I wouldn't get to the market that had it. I cook with coconut oil also, but thought what the heck let's try some butter this week (not raw but good quality). Had some yesterday. Today face breaking out first acne in months and lots of sniffles too! Tasted good but not worth it at all. If just 2 tablespoons of butter is making the face breakout what are the longer term health consequences of regular consumption? Most other paleo sources that I know of are against dairy but it seems to be much more accepted here. I will happily go back to lard, bacon grease, duck fat and especially coconut oil for cooking fats.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerJ View Post
            Are only the dairy eaters replying to this one?

I dropped dairy several months ago as experiment. Haven't really missed it but last week ran out of lard and knew I wouldn't get to the market that had it. I cook with coconut oil also, but thought what the heck let's try some butter this week (not raw but good quality). Had some yesterday. Today face breaking out first acne in months and lots of sniffles too! Tasted good but not worth it at all. If just 2 tablespoons of butter is making the face breakout what are the longer term health consequences of regular consumption? Most other paleo sources that I know of are against dairy but it seems to be much more accepted here. I will happily go back to lard, bacon grease, duck fat and especially coconut oil for cooking fats.
            Thank you for brining this up. I personally suffered from acne for almost 6 years. Going primal cleared me right up, really. Living by all 10 laws that is...

One of the big things was avoiding dairy. Another was not putting anything on my face but instead just splashing water on it in the shower. There is a STRONG link between dairy and acne.
            Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

Yes, I eat dairy. Heavy whipping cream in my coffee, occasional use of sour cream, cheese, or cottage cheese. I don't drink milk though. Not raw...WAY too expensive as well as difficult to get here. My kids drink milk and can easily drink a gallon in a day (I buy one gallon per week and when it's gone, it's gone). Raw milk runs $10/gallon.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's illegal to get raw milk in MD/VA. sucks for me. but I enjoy cream, butter, and cheese, in that order. I tend to follow kurt harris' approach to dairy.

Comment

Interestingly enough, thanks to this site (http://www.realmilk.com/where5.html) I found out the natural food store I go to sometimes sells raw milk from two local dairies. I might have to check it out sometime.

In my experiences I have not had issues with acne and dairy. I didn't eat much dairy before (milk only on occasional cereal, though I did have a daily yogurt) but I have had drier skin all my life as does my family.

Comment

Leaving out dairy has helped me lose a lot of weight, so no dairy for the time being. My kids and wife do dairy, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Dosenberry View Post
                      One of the big things was avoiding dairy. Another was not putting anything on my face but instead just splashing water on it in the shower. There is a STRONG link between dairy and acne.
                      I have a theory that it's not dairy persay that's a problem but rather than it's the calcium in the dairy inhibiting zinc absorption. Decreased tissue levels of zinc mean cobbled immune function.

Zinc supplementation (or excellent amounts of zinc from food) reduce breakouts acneic eruptions.

Having said that, I don't believe milk of another species is biologically appropriate for human consumption.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

I cut gluten and casein completely from my diet. If I had a choice to resort back to one particular dairy product I would go for raw milk, especially raw goat's milk.

Comment

well after eating cheddar cheese today and getting bloated from it... (boo)... I'm thinking i'm going to try cutting it out... I only drink milk in coffee. Yogurt and cottage cheese don't bother me (at least I think)... regular cheese and milk/cream do.

Comment

Dairy is my nemesis. Ok Dairy and wine.

Dairy definitely makes me feel bloated and has some effect on my weight loss/gain. I am pretty sure it has some inflammatory effects on me as well. I try to avoid it on a regular basis like in heavy cream on coffee, or as mundane cheeses. But in the right circumstances, I will stoically endure the consequences of good real very stinky cheese as long as the cheese quality is worth them.
                            “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
                            "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
                            "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Comment

I eat pastured butter and ghee only. Coconut milk has been a successful substitute for me. (the more wine I drink, the more I lose, as I will tend to drink instead of eat. Oops!)

Comment

Originally posted by cillakat View Post
                                Having said that, I don't believe milk of another species is biologically appropriate for human consumption.
                                I should also add that while I don't *believe* other species dairy is biologically appropriate for us, I find it absolutely delicious.

For the 10+ years that I considered myself dairy free, I did drink cream in my coffee every day and cook, when possible, with butter. Some definitition of dairy free. lol No milk though, no cheese, no yogurt.

When I finally adopted primal in earnest (oh, the importance of being earnest lol) I started eating dairy as a way to easy my transition away from the addictive grains and sugar. It worked.

Two weeks ago, after getting back my last bloodwork, which showed that my c reactive protein was again very elevated (damn!), I moved away from dairy again except for the rare coffee that I purchase while out (once a week? less?). No yogurt or milk for me and like Serial Sinner, the rare cheese in which I indulge must be without a doubt worth it in order to endure the inflammatory side effects. That indulgence is very rare indeed.

Now wine on the other hand......

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Working...
                                X