No announcement yet.

Fruits...Fruits...Fruits...Good or bad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fruits...Fruits...Fruits...Good or bad?

Fruits are an ongoing debate in this community. Either one eats all kind of fruits without any guilt or either one stay away from them all. Both side seems to have good arguments.

i decided to make a ''guide'' to fruit. I state my opinion on this matter by using evolution based arguments. I figured some of the reader who are confused about fruit consumption (lots of them judging by the fruit threads) might enjoy reading my article.

Fruit: its role within the paleolithic diet

If you have any comment, suggestions, etc. Feel free to share them.

Have a great day everyone!
    Living the hard way has never been so easy!
    My paleo website : www.primaljournal.com

Fruit is great! Eat fruit in season.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

Well said!

Comment

follow your instincts. Days where you're super active, have a bit more fruit since it will get burned off quite nicely...other days, maybe stick to only a handful of berries and an apple.... just mix it all up... of course, it all depends on each individual. The younger you are...the more fit you are.. the more leeway there is with higher sugar items. If you're out of shape, overweight...or just older in general, it might be best to limit them until you get your body fat and fitness level sorted out. Of course when you're super young and in great shape, you haven't had the years yet to let the insulin get out of control.....but everyone eventually will have to watch what they eat if they aren't taking proper care while they're younger. It's easy enough to sail through your twenties and even thirties getting away with a bit of a crappy diet...but, eventually...middle age hits all of us. Why not take excellent care all along? :-)

Comment

very individualized as chia says. i stay away from fruit most days, but that is me. when i do eat it i stick to berries.
          Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Comment

I wish I could get hold of unadulterated wild fruit, not the selectively-bred, cultivated junk that the shops are full of.

I prefer the tang of a crab apple to overly sweet modern fruits. I used to eat Bramley cooking apples as they are!

Comment

go foraging chronyx. betcha find lots o berries!
              Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Comment

I agree with Shannon and consume fruit about like she does, not often and just berries. For me the avoidance of all sweet things is probably just wise considering the history of my sweet tooth. The more I stay away, the less I crave. When I eat berries it is always mixed into my quite tangy homemade yogurt further diminishing their sweetness.

Also Shannon, your sig cracked me up and made me miss Tommy Smothers.

Comment

Read the Primal Blueprint to see what Mark Sisson, the owner of this site, thinks about fruit.

Comment

It isn't good. It may not be so bad. Don't think that you're doing your body a favor with it. Although a couple of pieces a day may not be a bad thing.
                    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by rucker_z View Post
                      Read the Primal Blueprint to see what Mark Sisson, the owner of this site, thinks about fruit.
                      I know what he says about fruits. I even quoted him in my article (as well as other experts).

I'm interested in what YOU think about fruit, tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Stabby View Post
                        It isn't good. It may not be so bad. Don't think that you're doing your body a favor with it. Although a couple of pieces a day may not be a bad thing.
                        Hi stabby,

If you don't mind, I would love to read a bit more about your opinion. Why are they ''not good'' and ''not so bad'' for you?

Comment

there's a million blackberries around my property. im enjoying the forage.

Comment

Originally posted by JeanPatrick View Post
                            Hi stabby,

If you don't mind, I would love to read a bit more about your opinion. Why are they ''not good'' and ''not so bad'' for you?
                            In short, fructose is the most glycating (fructating) carbohydrate. It forms AGEs potently. Also it does matter with regards to VLDL particles and de novo lipogenesis, even if it is from fruit. It just isn't as bad as sugar and syrups. The reasoning usually goes X isn't as bad as Y therefore X can do no harm. I am much leaner when I restrict fructose to just some berries than I am when I eat more of it. There is definitely something about very high fat intake and fructose that doesn't mix well, even if it is low omega 6. It's not a carb issue, sweet potatoes are fine, it's the fructose. Robb Wolf was saying something about fructose triggering the enzyme that causes the liver to sensitize, but that isn't a good thing because it stimulates uptake of glucose to the liver which gets packaged as triglycerides, and we definitely don't want any more trigs. It's not disease-causing but there is literally nothing good about it from a nutritional perspective. Not even antioxidants. As Peter from hyperlipid says, the antioxidants are there to protect against the oxidative stress that it causes, but it isn't do a perfect job.

There's that one which was pretty funny http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...bmed_RVDocSuml

The overall effect of the 10-week period without dietary fruits and vegetables was a decrease in oxidative damage to DNA, blood proteins, and plasma lipids, concomitantly with marked changes in antioxidative defence.

So basically everything that fruit is supposed to be good for, it's not. Vegetables have way more nutrients and less fructose, and tubers are the best source of potassium. So I'm not so much against fruit per se but against treating it as a health food like CW seems to do (apple a day...). A couple of apples isn't going to keep the doctor away, but it isn't going to land you in his office.
                            Last edited by Stabby; 07-20-2010, 12:12 PM.
                            Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

I eat all kinds of fruit without any guilt. *sticks tongue out* I also think it's a serious mistake to treat fruit as if it were nothing more than fructose. It's actually the only part of a plant that the plant wants you to eat. If fruit is so unhealthy, why are humans so sensitive to the sweet taste and love it all around world since they are born and across all cultures?
                              Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
                              Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
                              No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
                              Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Comment

Working...
                              X