Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Primalchild View Post
    Thread hijack time!

Are you saying that people have no choice whether or not they take something personally, and further still have no choice about how they're going to react to it? What's the state of mind of someone who insults someone else on purpose? Someone who's centered and at peace with themselves isn't likely to go around insulting others. So it's not a bad idea to view any insult towards yourself as some kind of blowoff from some other problem completely unrelated to you. And how can you get upset at that?
    +2. I've met plenty of people who are offended by just about everything, like there are people out there just looking for something to be offended by. If you're not looking for it, then it's not going to bother you. I pretty much am never offended by anything just because I could care less what others think about me or say or do, it just doesn't phase me. So, definitely...no one is offended against their will.
    Actually, if there is one thing that does "offend"(or more like annoy) me it's the people who are always offended, overly pc, hold grudges over little things....that really pisses me off because it takes the fun out of being around such people when you feel like you have to walk on eggshells (no, nobody here, I'm just relating this to my own life)

Comment

Well I wasnt expecting it to turn into this...
      I agree that people are too easily offended these days and that it is very difficult to make a statement without some overly sensitive person believing it to be an attack on their whole way of life.
      In this instance I dont think I was doing this, it just felt that I was being labelled without any efforts to understand what I actually meant by my post. In hindsight I can see that by not more clearly stating my question/situation I brought this upon myself.
      I am an adult, and by rights I shouldnt have to do as im told, however im also a complete pushover who still feels controlled by his parents even though they dont actually have any right to influence my life at all if I do not wish them to.
      This is very much a case of me knowing that i am right and not sticking up for myself.

Comment

It is the nature of the written word, unfortunately.
        As in, what we think we're saying might not be what other people read!

No harm intended

(FWIW, I still worry about what my folks would think even if they wouldn't actually be bothered! Funny, huh?)

Comment

Originally posted by Paleo Butterfly Boy View Post
          Well I wasnt expecting it to turn into this...
          I agree that people are too easily offended these days and that it is very difficult to make a statement without some overly sensitive person believing it to be an attack on their whole way of life.
          In this instance I dont think I was doing this, it just felt that I was being labelled without any efforts to understand what I actually meant by my post. In hindsight I can see that by not more clearly stating my question/situation I brought this upon myself.
          I am an adult, and by rights I shouldnt have to do as im told, however im also a complete pushover who still feels controlled by his parents even though they dont actually have any right to influence my life at all if I do not wish them to.
          This is very much a case of me knowing that i am right and not sticking up for myself.
          Good job on the self-evaluation. Standing up to/separating from ones parents is something that many have had to struggle with. Just start taking baby steps. Look for opportunities to use your voice in a way that feels safe to you. Practice makes perfect!

Good luck!

Comment

im also a complete pushover who still feels controlled by his parents even though they dont actually have any right to influence my life at all if I do not wish them to.
            Well they did spend a fair chunk of their lives devoting the majority of their waking hours to your wellbeing

A lot of us have these issues... even in our 40s! I got along heaps better with my parents after I left home. Though I'm lucky with my mum, she's pretty accepting and doesn't try to influence me. I remember some comedian saying that people live too long these days - we all live under the shadow of the previous generation. Though I think in times gone by that would have been the norm, and living in multigenerational households very often. Well those issues keep sociologists and anthropologists in business, don't they!

Sometimes you need to make compromises to keep the peace, and sometimes you need to stand your ground - so long as whichever you do, you remember that you love each other - don't let disagreement turn into anger and resentment.
            If were not supposed to eat animals, how come theyre made out of meat? Tom Snyder

Comment

I've been viewing this thread silently and I'm still curious. OP, how much do you weigh and how tall are you?

Secondly, if your parents are trying to get you to eat more, why don't you agree to eat more as long as you get to choose the foods. Then load up a plate full of primal goodies.
              A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

Paleo Butterfly Boy, if you are underweight, maybe you could use the time at your parents to really try and "bulk up" so to speak?? While white rice and boiled potatoes aren't Primal, they are at least gluten free and less offensive than wheat products for your system, and can be loaded with good fats to make them taste better and be at least somewhat nutritious. Think rice drowned in butter and spices, then topped with a protein and vegetables. Potatoes smothered in butter/sour cream (or both), with other good green veggies and protein for a full meal. Most parents won't balk at their kids eating eggs, so see if they'll buy you a few dozen for breakfasts, for hard boiling to eat as snacks through the day, etc. Try to help with food prep, adding a lot of vegetables to meals and always making sure a good protein is present. You can do it, just be kind to your parents while still taking care of yourself
                You are what you eat,
                and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

I wish I could go on vacation with my parents, I miss them

I am interested, Paleo Butterfly Boy, in their response to the bacon-and-egg suggestions? Or to your going to the store yourself?

Try making 'fun' out of it, with them, like "hey, lets find a cool farmers market."

Last time I got to travel with my mom, we essentially hopped from one farmers market to the next-- boyohboy did I find some amazing cheese and butter.

-写
                  Little Saiyan

Comment

Think rice and meat, think biryani.

Comment

Im sticking with the boiled potatoes so far, usually i only really eat squash and sweet potatoes. My parents would have me on all sorts of wacky grains and bread if they were choosing. Also, they dont count fruits or veggies as carbs.
                      I have breakfast on my own so thats okay now, but however much meat I eat they think im trying to lose weight because "its all protein"
                      Maybe if I were to have a huge conversation and explain exactly how all of this works they would understand, but im not sure, and I dont want to have such a discussion whilst on holiday. It might just cause a huge argument or something. Theres one week left until we go home so not long to put up with their hawk eyes watching my plate.
                      In response to the question about my stats Im 6ft tall and weight 45kg

Comment

In response to the question about my stats Im 6ft tall and weight 45kg
                        45kg/99lbs is very very seriously underweight for a male of your height. Whether the issues are physiological, psychological or both I suspect to progress to health and wholeness you may need some professional help. Please take these concerns seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi View Post
                          45kg/99lbs is very very seriously underweight for a male of your height. Whether the issues are physiological, psychological or both I suspect to progress to health and wholeness you may need some professional help. Please take these concerns seriously.
                          +1

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

I'm standing by my comment. I don't know you but some of the things you said are very common amongst the eating disordered population. And now that you've let us in on your height and weight ... I am even more concerned and it is about you.

I'm in with the make-your-own breakfast crowd. That and give your parents your book to read.

Comment

Am I calculating correctly? Is 45kg the same as 99 pounds? That is extremely underweight for a 6-ft male. I'm a 5'4" female, and even I would be seriously underweight at 99 pounds.

Combined with your title for this thread: "Going Mad, Want to Kill Parents", I think it's pretty obvious why we're all concerned about you. You really, really need to speak to a counselor of some sort, if only to get an objective opinion from someone who can meet you in person.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonmamma View Post
                                Am I calculating correctly? Is 45kg the same as 99 pounds? That is extremely underweight for a 6-ft male. I'm a 5'4" female, and even I would be seriously underweight at 99 pounds.

Combined with your title for this thread: "Going Mad, Want to Kill Parents", I think it's pretty obvious why we're all concerned about you. You really, really need to speak to a counselor of some sort, if only to get an objective opinion from someone who can meet you in person.
                                Yes, it is 99lbs. I was 5.4" and 99lbs when I was hyperthyroid and _I_ was severely underweight. I cannot imagine being 6' and 99lbs.

Comment

Working...
                                X