Honey VS maple syrup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honey VS maple syrup

I notice in the cookbook some recipe's call for one or the other. Would the honey be the better choice due to it being less refiened?

It's a matter of taste. Less refine doesn't make it any better, sugar is sugar, just use it sparingly.
    Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

Comment

there's also the option of agave nectar. still sugar but it has a low glycemic index and doesn't make such a mess of one's blood sugar levels (if that's an issue for you).

Comment

How does the agave nectar compare taste-wise? I LOVE honey, but don't use it. Would like to start once I'm ok with my carb count going up a little bit.
        Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

Just go with taste and assume it's equally bad for you, that's my approach at least. But what PB friendly foods need maple syrup anyhow?
          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

In my opinion, honey tastes far better than agave nectar. Commercial agave nectar is also a highly processed sweetener; it has a higher fructose content than high fructose corn syrup.

Comment

My rule of thumb is the same for sugar as it is for fats. If it is runny at room temperature it is good for you. If it is hard at room temperature then it should be used sparingly or avoided completely and replaced with a healthier choice. Your heart and arteries with thank you.

Vicki

Comment

Originally posted by MGV View Post
                My rule of thumb is the same for sugar as it is for fats. If it is runny at room temperature it is good for you. If it is hard at room temperature then it should be used sparingly or avoided completely and replaced with a healthier choice. Your heart and arteries with thank you.

Vicki
                This would pretty much exclude all the good highly saturated fats....coconut oil, lard, tallow, etc. I don't know that you can apply this as a general rule across the board, at least for fats.

Comment

Coconut oil is runny and lard it not your friend.

Comment

Vicki
                    Forget this advice it is too confusing. Stay away from seed oils and hydrogenated oils. Enjoy animal fats and non-seed oils (coconut, olive, avacado....)

Avoid adding sugar in any form.
                    Last edited by grandma; 07-19-2010, 11:23 AM.
                    It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Comment

Coconut oil is runny and lard it not your friend.
                      coconut oil is solid below 70 some odd degrees. In my house it is 9 months out of the year. Commercial lard is not your friend because it is hydrogenated. Butter is also solid at room temp most of the year and it is very much my friend.
                      It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Comment

I'm surprised nobody mentioned this yet.

Agave nectar is POISON. Almost entirely fructose. Worst sugar you can use.
                        .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
                        ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Originally posted by tfarny View Post
                          Just go with taste and assume it's equally bad for you, that's my approach at least. But what PB friendly foods need maple syrup anyhow?
                          Need? No. But both honey and maple syrup are delicious on butter. I figure it's still better than a cookie. (Mmmmmmmmmmmm, honeybutter . . . . .)

Comment

Originally posted by LX View Post
                            Need? No. But both honey and maple syrup are delicious on butter. I figure it's still better than a cookie. (Mmmmmmmmmmmm, honeybutter . . . . .)
                            Honey on parmigiano reggiano cheese... mmmmmmmmm
                            .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
                            ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Neither honey nor maple syrup does much for me. Agave is more neutral tasting. I would probably go with it if I wanted a sweetener. I'm not big on sweets and, of course, avoid them now.

Comment

Working...
                              X