Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So all this eating fat wont contribute

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • So all this eating fat wont contribute

    to high levels of cholestrol in the body? I have inherited high cholestrol and was put on lipitor . I started taking satins about 20 years ago and about 1 month ago ceased all medication as it was giving too much muscle cramps , spasms etc especially at night when trying to sleep! Should I be taking the lipitor again if I am to consume most of my calories from fat?

  • #2
    Be honest here, have you researched this diet at all?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Rivvin View Post
      Be honest here, have you researched this diet at all?
      +1

      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ghlight=statin



      iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

      Comment


      • #4
        Who says high cholesterol is necessarily a bad thing?
        You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

        Comment


        • #5
          Odar,

          You need to read The Primal Blueprint.
          Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

          Comment


          • #6
            and more:

            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...earchid=354995



            iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

            Comment


            • #7
              Which is why I gave you a link to primal 101 to something you posted on Saturday. Have you read through it?

              Comment


              • #8
                Not to sound like I have a superiority complex but... *sigh*...n00bs...
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  *flames the n00b* Mark has the definitive guides. Read those. Griff has the cholesterol primer. Read that. Come back when finished.
                  Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                  My Latest Journal

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    To answer your question Odar, yes, it will contribute to high cholesterol, at least in my case it did. I followed the conventional wisdom of eating up until February or March of this year. My cholesterol numbers were "perfect" according to my doctor. After eating PB for 6-8 weeks, eliminating grains, eating more fat, meat and eggs, my cholesterol skyrocketed, even the bad LDL. However, my HDL remained the same.

                    So, yes, eating this way will likely change your lipid studies. However, much of what Marks concludes is that is not necessarily a bad thing.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Odar View Post
                      to high levels of cholestrol in the body? I have inherited high cholestrol and was put on lipitor . I started taking satins about 20 years ago and about 1 month ago ceased all medication as it was giving too much muscle cramps , spasms etc especially at night when trying to sleep! Should I be taking the lipitor again if I am to consume most of my calories from fat?
                      Eating fat may or may not increase cholesterol levels. However, not all cholesterol is bad for you. Eating carbs almost always contributes to the bad (or worst) type of cholesterol.

                      If you eat "healthy" fats, your cholesterol may go up or it may even go down if you are replacing or eliminating carbs from your diet with those healthy fats but elevated cholesterol from dietary fats is most likely to be perfectly safe.

                      What everyone is trying to say is that for most, statins cause more harm than good. From what I have read, there are only about 2 to 4 % of the population that may benefit from statins based on genetic risk factors for cholesterol.

                      You may want to ask your doctor to have you tested with a Berkeley HeartLab cholesterol test to get a base line of the various cholesterol particle types as well as a basic understanding of your genetic risk factors to elevated cholesterol.

                      Everyone is a bit different and each responds to diet a little different. However, the dietary guidelines promoted by this site are perhaps the best regardless of how your body responds to food in the production of cholesterol.

                      So as for whether you should take Lipitor, there is a 2% to 4 % chance the answer would be yes and a 96% to 98% chance that the answer will be no. Base your choice on those odds or get the Berkeley test and improve your odds of making the right choice.
                      “It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
                      —Robert A. Heinlein

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Thanks Asturian - i have ordered my PB but wont't be getting it for a while as I'm in Australia! I was mainly concern as I also have type 2 diabetes and was just a bit concerned about cholesterol (good and bad!) anyhow will take your advise on board. Thanks again.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Rivvin View Post
                          Be honest here, have you researched this diet at all?
                          To answer your question NO! I am waiting for my book to arrive which may take awhile as I am in Australia. thought I would get some construction and quick answer to my question but seem like it was an annoying question.... maybe the question was asked before by many posters.. hmmm I wonder if they got the response I did!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Type two diabetes? Read this:
                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...179#post163179



                            iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              thanks cillakat - my am levels are 99 and 2 hr pp are mostly around 95 - I am trying to get it lower as well as loose weight - big % of bodyfat to loose so as well as type 2 I was diagnosed with high cholesterol, have an under active thyroid which I take thyroxine for

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X