Ketosis for weight loss

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ketosis for weight loss

To lose weight I have to have a fat burning metabolism. But I only go into ketosis (my fat burning metabolism) under 20 carbs a day. (Turns ketostix pink). So how can I lose weight on over 20 carbs a day ?

The book says up to 150 carbs a day for weight loss - but this does not get me into ketosis - so at this level I am still in a glucose-burning mode for energy, not fat burning mode.

Can anyone explain please? I want to lose weight but go out of ketosis over 20 carbs and therefore don't see how I can lose weight over 20 carbs.

Thanks, in hope of an answer.

Do you have a metallic taste in your mouth at over 20g carbs? I know nothing about ketostix apart from reading they can be unreliable.

Comment

Ketosis is not required for losing weight.

Comment

Eat less. Or move more.
        You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

I don't think you need to be in ketosis to lose weight (body fat).. If you are under 100 grams of carbs and eating sufficient fat, your body can use both sugar and fat for fuel..

If you want to lose weight - focus on strength training and eat good food. It will happen.

Comment

Originally posted by lecz0r View Post
            Ketosis is not required for losing weight.
            +1!!!!!!!!!!!
            Get on my Level
            http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

i was losing weight even when i was consuming over 100g of carbs a day (not that much over 100). I think I'm in ketosis now as I'm consistently under 50g of carb a day (have been for 3 days now, and will be for 2 weeks in total) to test it out and to lose weight a little more quickly. i'm experimenting. frankly, i'm not even sure what ketosis is - except i know i haven't been feeling super energetic the last few days.

Comment

No, I don't have a metallic taste at all.

But I thought the whole thing about eating primally is to make our bodies use fat for energy instead of carbohydrates - and that is a state of ketosis.

If we are not in ketosis and are burning carbohydrates for energy then we aren't eating primally.

That's how I understood it from the book. Have I got it wrong ?

Comment

While I don't believe ketosis is a must for weight loss, I normally keep myself in ketosis for faster results. I managed to lose 30 lbs in a little under 2 months.
                  Insert whitty diet remark here!

Comment

Originally posted by Daffy View Post
                    No, I don't have a metallic taste at all.

But I thought the whole thing about eating primally is to make our bodies use fat for energy instead of carbohydrates - and that is a state of ketosis.

If we are not in ketosis and are burning carbohydrates for energy then we aren't eating primally.

That's how I understood it from the book. Have I got it wrong ?
                    Remember that the body can also convert dietary protein into glycogen. So even if you are eating very little carbohydrate, that can possibly keep you out of ketosis.
                    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

And even though your body might not reach for the fat first - it can still be used as fuel.

Comment

Yes, you do have it wrong. Primal does not necessarily mean ketogenic/low-carb. Though eating fewer carbs may help you keep your hunger under control and allow you to lose fat. Ketosis is certainly not required for fat loss though.

Comment

Yes, you do have it wrong. Primal does not necessarily mean ketogenic/low-carb. Though eating fewer carbs may help you keep your hunger under control and allow you to lose fat. Ketosis is certainly not required for fat loss though.
                          ...and the definition of eating primal has to do with avoiding the neolithic agents of disease: wheat, other gluten grains, added sugar, and vegetable oils (linoleic acid). Being in ketosis is different than eating primal-ly.
                          I'm a quitter...but I'm back now.

Comment

Working...
                          X