Not eating enough carbs!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not eating enough carbs!

I've been primal for about a month now and I have a strong feeling I'm failing to eat more than 100gr of carbs a day.
    I'm not trying to loose weight. Quite the contrary, really. I'm rather skinny (6' and 152lbs) and would like to gain a few pounds.

I'm feeling weak and without energy, but it seems impossible to eat more than 100gr of carbs from fruits and vegetables alone. I'm almost thinking of cheating with bread!

Where do you usually take the bulk of your carbs from?

If you can't eat 400 calories (100g of carbs) of fruit a day, then you're not trying very hard!

Banana with almond seed butter spread on it.
    Apple.
    Orange.
    Small bowl of trail mix. (Pecans, dried blueberries, etc)

There ya go. 100g of carbs. Need more? It's very, very easy to eat more trail mix.

Comment

seriously. one banana is like 28g of carb. 100g isn't hard.

Comment

Sweet p'tatoes!
        .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
        ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

sweet potatoes, yams, parsnips....bananas split in half and sauteed in butter for dessert!
          I'm a quitter...but I'm back now.

Comment

I think I remember bananas weren't on the good fruits list on the website.

Comment

Originally posted by thedude View Post
              I think I remember bananas weren't on the good fruits list on the website.
              thats because it's high in carbs :P other than carbs you could also just try higher calorie foods like avocados and nuts, possibly dairy to try and get some easy calories.

Comment

Im actually in the same situation!

6'5 at 170 and i feel im gettin my carbs no problem.

Berries, sweet potatoes, squash and lots of protein ontop of lots of fat..

just eat till you feel full and it'll all sort itself out..

Comment

Its not popular, but potatoes every once in awhile in nice. I add a ton of cheese to lower its glycemic index.
                  Calm the f**k down.

Comment

Originally posted by Metismomma View Post
                    Its not popular, but potatoes every once in awhile in nice. I add a ton of cheese to lower its glycemic index.
                    Cheese will raise GI as does butter and other dairy products........Whole milk is more insulinogenic that fat free, weird but true. Protein also raises insulin quite a bit, especially fish, so if you happen to believe in the relevance of the GI you might want to rethink the dairy on the potato. Gastric emptying has nothing/very little to do with the initial insulin response of a food a person eats, just that it takes longer to digest. just saying
                    Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Chefgerry View Post
                      Cheese will raise GI as does butter and other dairy products........Whole milk is more insulinogenic that fat free, weird but true. Protein also raises insulin quite a bit, especially fish, so if you happen to believe in the relevance of the GI you might want to rethink the dairy on the potato. Gastric emptying has nothing/very little to do with the initial insulin response of a food a person eats, just that it takes longer to digest. just saying
                      If this is true then either I am an anomaly or the idea that insulin promotes fat accumulation is false.

Comment

Originally posted by Roach View Post
                        If this is true then either I am an anomaly or the idea that insulin promotes fat accumulation is false.
                        No worries, insulin is a fat storage hormone.

Comment

Originally posted by Chefgerry View Post
                          No worries, insulin is a fat storage hormone.
                          Apparently I didn't properly convey what I meant.

I am claiming that the idea that butter/cream increases the GI and causes a greater insulin spike is exactly false. Most everything I have read argues this case and, more importantly, my experience proves it. When I say "proves it" I mean "proves it to me" and that's really all I care about.

Whole milk is more insulinogenic than fat-free? How's that? Got a link?

Here's an interesting tidbit http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/sat...tack-risk.html

Comment

Originally posted by Roach View Post
                            Apparently I didn't properly convey what I meant.

I am claiming that the idea that butter/cream increases the GI and causes a greater insulin spike is exactly false. Most everything I have read argues this case and, more importantly, my experience proves it. When I say "proves it" I mean "proves it to me" and that's really all I care about.

Whole milk is more insulinogenic than fat-free? How's that? Got a link?

Here's an interesting tidbit http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/sat...tack-risk.html
                            Alan Aragon talked about this a few years ago...I'll see if I can dig them up for you. Your singing to the choir
                            about saturated fat, but thanks for the link.

Comment

Here you go:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1406301

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/37/6/941

http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/con...tract/66/2/323

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/72/1/96
                              Last edited by Chefgerry; 07-17-2010, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X