Eggs - which would you choose?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eggs - which would you choose?

In my local supermarkets I have a few choices for eggs. In addition to the regular conventional eggs I can choose from these:

Omega 3 Eggs
    Organic Eggs
    Cage Free

All are fed a "vegetarian diet" which probably means grains, but these are my choices, so which one is the best. I would like Organic Omega 3 Cage Free, but it isn't an option.

So which one is most beneficial to me?

Thanks,
    Tina

I go with the Omega 3 when I can't find eggs from "pastured" chickens.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...ga-3-eggs.html
    http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...ured-eggs.html

Comment

I used to have these same options, and was always torn between Omega 3 and Organic. On the one hand, more O3 is never a bad thing when you eat many conventional meats like I do, and it means they're probably fed less grains. But then again, to raise chickens without antibiotics must mean they're treated fairly well, so maybe organic is good.

I never did decide for sure, but usually bought the Omega 3 (400mg per egg). I eventually managed to find local pastured eggs at a natural food store/co-op so it's not an issue for me anymore.
      "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Comment

I go for the Omega 3, because I can't eat fish or nuts. However, if the organic is on sale for a cheaper price, I would go that way.
        Food should be fun--Thomas Keller

Comment

I usually go for OG + cage free.

Comment

From a dietary perspective, I'd probably go with the omega 3. The USDA doesn't regulate most of the marketing labels for eggs, so what does cage free or free range really mean? There is no definition like there is for USDA certified organic. So, if you are looking for cruelty free eggs, you really need to know the source - which usually means going local.
            Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

I'd buy all three and see which tastes better and have the most orange yolk.
              .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
              ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

I would go with cage free (most eggs are now fortified with omega 3's, from the labels I have seen. While cage free doesn't mean that they are free range, it does mean that they are not kept in batteries, which to me is much less cruel for the chickens and while still stressful (many live under a roof and still never see daylight and have to compete for space, but their lives are better - chicken are mean and can easily peck each other to death), the chickens have to be healthier than battery hens who basically cannot move.

I am going to start looking for pastured eggs though.

Comment

Originally posted by kennelmom View Post
                  From a dietary perspective, I'd probably go with the omega 3. The USDA doesn't regulate most of the marketing labels for eggs, so what does cage free or free range really mean? There is no definition like there is for USDA certified organic. So, if you are looking for cruelty free eggs, you really need to know the source - which usually means going local.
                  Cage free means the chickens live in some type of barn, not in cages. Free Range means they live in a barn, not in cages, but it requires there is an open door that they can use to go outside. However, there are no requirements as to what's outside that door, so it could just lead to a cement lot.

Comment

Why aren't you able to buy pastured eggs? They are cheaper for me.

I can buy organic cage free at Meijer for about $3.36 per dozen. Or I can go to the farmers market and buy pastured eggs for $2.50 per dozen. I will soon visit the farm where I bought my 1/2 cow from and buy tons of eggs for $2 per dozen and get 3 dozen free for the visit.
                    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

Life is awesome when a pastured egg costs a measly 20 cents!! These are Large/Jumbo Eggs too... probably 8 g of protein

Comment

Originally posted by Dosenberry View Post
                        Life is awesome when a pastured egg costs a measly 20 cents!! These are Large/Jumbo Eggs too... probably 8 g of protein
                        Not everybody lives where you live and have that option. -_-
                        .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
                        ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Originally posted by rphlslv View Post
                          Not everybody lives where you live and have that option. -_-
                          Yea, I guess I forgot about that. It is time to move then

Comment

no farmer's markets near where you live? free-range organic from small, local farmers. it doesn't get better than that.

if i was strictly limited to those 3 options (although you're probably not), i'd lean towards organic, that's just my instinct. no facts.

Comment

Working...
                            X