Once Opened, How Long Do Nuts Last?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Once Opened, How Long Do Nuts Last?

You know the question... do you have an answer?
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

I have heard something like 3 months at room temp, 6 months in the fridge, a year in the freezer. I keep mine in the freezer just to be safe.

Comment

Frozen macadamias are yum

what kind of nuts are you "opening"? canned mixed-nut brands, like planters and emeralds, almost always have been roasted with some sort of horrendous oil. I go for the unroasted bulk variety.

Comment

Raw brazilnuts, almonds, macadamias, pistachios, hazelnuts...

I never thought about freezing them but I think I will have to do just that!

Comment

Speaking of nuts....i have a love hate relationship with them. I was downing brazil nuts until i realized you can overdose on selenium and they are high in aflatoxins. So...i've switched to hazelnuts which are a local product of my region of italy and just delicious. I eat about a handful per day, with my morning fruit and cocnut oil. ( i have noticed an egg sensitivity lately, so have had ot remove them. i also removed dairy) But i still wonder about Aflatoxins and thier danger for our livers. Anyone got any info on that?

Comment

Just be very careful with walnuts because they go rancid almost instantly because of their high levels of Omega 3 fatty acids. They need to be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer. Do not eat walnuts that have been sitting in a non-airtight container. Rancid nuts wreak havoc on your cells because they release free radicals. You can also soak the walnuts overnight in water and then dehydrate them the next day for about 10 hours at 150 degrees. They taste delicious and the soaking and dehydrating removes phytic acid, making the nuts digestible and the vitamins they provide bioavailable.

Comment

dang. There goes my stash of walnuts. *sob*
              If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat? Tom Snyder

Comment

so if you roast your own nuts, how long do they last?

Comment

I pass on walnuts since they have 10 g of omega 6 in 1 oz.

Comment

not very long in my house;-) hehe...
                    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Comment

I keep them all in the frigde, but I didn't know that about the walnuts or the brazil nuts -- two of my favorites. How many brazil nuts is too many -- I usually eat about 4 of them 2-3x per week. I keep my walnuts in the Trader Joe's bag they come in in the fridge. I will now store them in something with lid - I often don't even shut the bag tightly.
                      My journal

Comment

This is a great question because I worry about that too. I've just bought some organic almonds and walnuts vacuum packed and then I transfer them to a lidded jar. Unfortunately the almonds after a few days go soft and fresh walnuts taste completely different ie better, I think I'll start keeping them in the fridge. Also brazils are unavailable here in their shell except maybe at Xmas so once the pack is opened they go off really quickly which is a shame as when I first open the packet they are crisp and nice tasting.
                        I'm going to try the soaking and dehydrating trick mentioned above with the walnuts - thanks for the tips!

Comment

Originally posted by shannon View Post
                          not very long in my house;-) hehe...
                          Same here:-) ...but as to the original question, I think taste can be your best guide.

If the oil in them goes rancid, or they taste stale, you'll know...

Comment

I think I am going to start storing my nuts in the fridge.

Comment

Depends on who takes my nuts out, ify'knowwhatImean.
                              You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Working...
                              X