melatonin and ltryptophan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• melatonin and ltryptophan

what do you guys know about either of these and sleep??
    Get on my Level
    http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

umm....bump???
    Get on my Level

Comment

I take a melotonin/theanine combo I picked up at Costco. I get a much deeper sleep and wake up rested. I've taken it for the last 6 mos or so with no apparent ill affect.

Comment

I've been waking feeling unrested lately for no explicable reason (diet good, exercise ok, stress levels reasonable), so I took some melatonin (from NOW foods) last night and hit the hay early. I nearly sprung out of bed at 4am with a crap ton of energy. I don't plan on taking it long term, just want to play around with it a bit to see how effective it is. Maybe last night was a fluke/placebo effect.
        Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Melatonin works to promote sleep but should not be taken for a long period of time (like more than a week) because it can cause dependency and even depression. Tryptophan is a precursor to melatonin and does not have these side effects. I take a 500 mg capsule of tryptophan before bed, about every other day. I sleep better on the days that I take it.
          I'm a quitter...but I'm back now.

Comment

Originally posted by kennelmom View Post
            I've been waking feeling unrested lately for no explicable reason (diet good, exercise ok, stress levels reasonable), so I took some melatonin (from NOW foods) last night and hit the hay early. I nearly sprung out of bed at 4am with a crap ton of energy. I don't plan on taking it long term, just want to play around with it a bit to see how effective it is. Maybe last night was a fluke/placebo effect.
            i gotthe same ones... it didnt DO aything?!?!?!? i was awake all night! but i think i ate to much at night and that prolly has a big impact on my sleep
            Get on my Level

Comment

Originally posted by Canarygirl View Post
              Melatonin works to promote sleep but should not be taken for a long period of time (like more than a week) because it can cause dependency and even depression. Tryptophan is a precursor to melatonin and does not have these side effects. I take a 500 mg capsule of tryptophan before bed, about every other day. I sleep better on the days that I take it.
              i have that but i havent taken it, you like, it works?
              Get on my Level

Comment

I had a melatonin stage that really improved my sleep, but did make me a bit drowsy throughout the day, perhaps I should have lowered the dose?... anyways, what I found works even better for me is magnesium powder. same effect, without the drowsiness. i drink a cup in bed (sometimes mixed with herbal tea) and get very relaxed in 15 minutes.. knocked out in 20 or so. I also used to get a lot of muscle cramps ( waking up in the middle of the night with a calf cramp - urggggg) and that is history!

Comment

can i lik up cap the powder in my magnesium and stick it in some water?
                  Get on my Level

Comment

I have taken Melatonin on occasion 3mg and 5mg dosage. It definitely works for me. I do find a slight "hang over" phenomenon, but that might be due to timing. The directions say take 1/2 hour before bed and I am usually only getting 7 hours in the sack, so it might last longer than 7 hours?
                    "I am a member of PETA...People Eat Tasty Animals"

Comment

Yes, the 500mg tryptophan definitely helps me sleep. Works even better in conjunction with a magnesium supp.
                      I'm a quitter...but I'm back now.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve1907 View Post
                        I have taken Melatonin on occasion 3mg and 5mg dosage. It definitely works for me. I do find a slight "hang over" phenomenon, but that might be due to timing. The directions say take 1/2 hour before bed and I am usually only getting 7 hours in the sack, so it might last longer than 7 hours?
                        I have noticed the same effect. I've only ever taken 1 or 2 mg of melatonin at a time (sublingually), but I notice that if I don't have time to get a full 8+ hours of sleep, I have experienced some serious uncoordination the following morning; a few times, I've had no choice but to go back to sleep, because I literally couldn't function, and just felt drugged up.

My own experience with melatonin has been that 1 mg worked perfectly for the first few nights, then I had to up the dose to 2 mg to feel any effect, then 2 mg stopped working... I decided to change some other factors in my life to promote sleep, rather than continuing to increase the dose...

I plan to keep it on hand for occasional use, but have found that relying on it regularly isn't a good idea, at least for me.
                        Last edited by healthseekerKate; 07-15-2010, 10:26 AM.

Comment

i looked into all of these things a few years ago when i was suffering from depression. l-triptophan can be an effective anti-depressant.

from memory - melatonin has to be manufactured by the body. ingesting it won't have the intended effect. l-triptophan, a precursor, provides the body with the ability to manufacture more melatonin - and so is more effective.

there is reams and reams of information on l-triptophan, 5-htp, melatonin etc on depression and anxiety related forums. i'd recommend reading them - there are people on them who have experimented with them to a crazy level and there's a lot of anecdotal information as well as links to some studies. for what it's worth, i walked away with a clear message from all of that. melatonin and 5-htp supplements = bad. l-triptophan probably pretty good. it's also (of course) considerably more expensive (again, from memory)

Comment

Tryptophan converts to melatonin and serotonin. Supplemental melatonin works fine. It's serotonin that doesn't work as a supplement. I like the idea of increasing melatonin for its antioxidant characteristics without increasing serotonin, which natural tryptophan from diet produces adequately. I get tons of tryptophan from primal eating -- seafood, beef, pork, nuts, and particularly eggs.

This seems pretty thorough.

Comment

i probably wouldnt be taking any melatonin supp's.
                              what it sounds like you need is a proper day of physical work and good food followed by a completely pitch black room (im talking no light not even your alarm clock pointing your way) for sleep.
                              ive been reading lights out. thats a damn good book, and it goes through the complete biochemistry of humans and sleep patterns. there are studies that melatonin production is actually turned off in patients where they put a small blue light on the back of their knee as they slept. crazy stuffs. all about circadian rhythmicity. very enjoyable read indeed.

Comment

Working...
                              X