Oils for salad other than olive?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oils for salad other than olive?

Are there any oils out there good for salad dressings other than olive oil that may be healthier? I am going to do a big shop tomorrow.

Thanks!

I love bacon grease on my salads. I usually mix it with a bit of vinegar.

Comment

Walnut oil is great on salads, too.

Comment

Cannot use bacon anything, but the walnut oil sounds excellent. Is it as good (in terms of mono/polyunsaturated fats) as olive oil?

Comment

+1 to both bacon fat and Walnut oil.....

My favorite salad as of late is sliced Avocado, HB eggs, crispy salad greens, bacon, green onons, tomatoes. I add white wine vinegar to the bacon drippings, season with black pepper, and the slightest drizzle of local honey and that the dressing. AWESOME. Loaded with good fat.

Comment

The specialty oils: walnut, macadamia, and avocado have pretty good ratios. These are ridiculously expensive though. I used to buy the small dark bottles of flax oil that has to be refrigerated, but it seems that the omega-3s can't be absorbed in a high ratio.

Comment

I keep seeing walnut oil on these forums, but I never hear anyone talk about Macadamia Oil. Is it pretty good on salads and nutritious to warrant using?

Comment

The walnut oil probably has too many PUFAs so I would not recommend using it often. How about dressing your salad with coconut milk?
                --
                Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

Comment

Coconut milk? That sounds horrible on salad, to be quite honest!

Comment

Raw egg yolk is traditional, but not recommended these days due to fear of salmonella in commercial eggs. Mashed cooked egg yolk is also traditional. Blend with fresh lemon juice and season with salt, pepper, garlic and tarragon.

Hot dressings of red wine vinegar and bacon fat are traditional, too. Include bacon bits, sliced green onions and garlic.

Comment

Yeah, coconut milk on salad does not sound appetizing, lol. I will do some research this evening. Thanks for the ideas.

Comment

Anyone tried almond oil on salads? I just remembered I bought some a while back (can't remember what for), and never opened it.
                        My musings

The old stuff

Comment

I got some avocado oil recently and enjoy it -- figure it doesn't have the Omega 6 issues of nut oils. Quite tasty though yes, expensive, but so is nut oil.

Comment

There's a coconut milk dressing recipe in the PB cookbook. I made a simple version of it recently by mixing some curry powder and salt with the coconut milk. It's actually pretty good.

Comment

Funny as this sounds, If any of you live near a TJ Maxx or Marshalls/HomeGoods Store, check in the kitchen section for those oils! Alot of companies discontinue them because they don't sell due to price, so these stores get them and they are still PLENTY FRESH and in date. For Instance, I got roasted Walnut Oil and Almond Oil for 3.99 Each! store them in the fridge and you are all set.

Comment

Working...
                              X