The "Master Cleanse" Fabulous Health

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Master Cleanse" Fabulous Health

I saw this article on the Huffington Post today and I thought I'd post it on the MDA forum to get some of your thoughts.

Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher Do Master Cleanse

First Posted: 07-12-10 07:04 AM | Updated: 07-12-10 11:06 PM

Is that why they look so good?

Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher are currently existing on a mix of lemon, cayenne pepper and maple syrup, according to Demi's tweeting.

On Sunday she tweeted that she and her husband were doing the master cleanse and, rather than weight loss or appearance, 'this is about health!!!' Triple exclamation points hers.

Earlier in the day she had tweeted, '2nd day of master cleanse and off to hike with hubby and the dogs. 2nd day better than the 1st!' and she added that she and her husband were doing it together.

Naomi Campbell recently told Oprah that she is a proponent of the extreme diet. Even Josh Brolin and Eddie Vedder have tried it out.

For a lot more celebrity diets and detoxes, go here.
    ________

My opinion can best be summed up by one of the Huff Po members who commented on the article:

"i suspect what passes through this pair's bowels is made of the same material that is between their ears. I wish these two narcissists were cleansed from the media's excretory system."

Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher Do Master Cleanse

That sounds like a pretty disgusting food combo, to be honest. This coming from somebody who eats pickles with peanut butter. And since when was maple syrup 'healthy' :?
    Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

Comment

I agree that it sounds like a bad idea. I think any benefits probably just come from the calorie reduction. I'll stick to intermittent fasting, thanks.

Comment

To each his own. Don't blame the victims, blame the snake oil salsman who sold them on the idea.

Comment

@Beefsister: I wouldn't even call it a food combo to be honest with you. Also, why does the "Master Cleanse" consists of only those three ingredients. Couldn't you use a number of spices and/or condiments if you so choose to? Who decided that these three were the three kings when it came down to detoxing your body? Some of these Hollywood types never cease to amaze me! Lastly, as much as I enjoy maple syrup, I'd never consider it healthy.

@yodiewan: It's definitely a bad idea. I think it would be a better idea if they both got a quick rundown as to how the body processes toxins and cleanses the body on it's own. That way they'd be a little more informed. I definitely believe that there is a market for paleo/primal personal trainers for celebrity's because some of the diet fads and advice coming from Hollywood digusts me. I would love someone to share the benefits of intermittent fasting with these celebs. It sure beats chugging lemon juice, cayenne pepper, and maple syrup for 10 days!

Comment

Originally posted by fxdwgmikeb View Post
            To each his own. Don't blame the victims, blame the snake oil salsman who sold them on the idea.
            I agree. That leads me to ask: How many people are pounding the pavement in LA peddling this nonsense?

Comment

Actually, it's not a new fad diet (it's an old fad diet! ) -- been around for at least 50-60 years I think... Mark mentions it in a few places, including here:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/colon-cleanse-scam/
              Last edited by schadowrider; 07-14-2010, 02:16 PM.

Comment

My mother in law has a cousin that does this, for up to 20 days at a time. WTF is wrong with people? If I remember right she is one of those raw vegans so this is at the top of her healthy things to do to herself list.
                My blog - About me, my family, and my hobbies!

*Please ignore my horrible typing and grammar I am usually typing it all on my very uncooperative phone*

Comment

My old boss at the health food store I worked did this cleanse and often. I was/am skeptical about it. She would lose weight and regain it right back. She is a huge proponent of cleanses in general though.
                  Calm the f**k down.

Comment

So....very.....toxic!.....we're.....alll.......so. .....very.....toxic! ahhh!!!

My opinion is that "toxicity" boils down to liver and immune health. And that the worst thing someone can do to their detoxification systems is deprive them of the nutrients needed to do their job properly. I'm not saying that fasting and ingesting weird shit can't have some benefit, but I think that it's smarter to do it intermittently.
                    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by Beefsister View Post
                      That sounds like a pretty disgusting food combo, to be honest.
                      I always figured this was on purpose, to give you that feeling of punishment that most detoxers crave. Just gross enough to be unpleasant, but not SO gross that people wouldn't even try it.
                      "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Comment

It tastes like lemonade actually. No, I didn't do the cleanse, but they did offer a taste.
                        Calm the f**k down.

Comment

I've done MC for 10 days about five years ago. The lemonade was disgusting with the cayenne. I spent about a year in the fasting culture. I think MC is the bottom of the barrel scientifically. It induces diarrhea. That means it kills gut flora. This is called cleansing. I call it a health menace. Is it killing anyone? No, we're pretty resilient animals. Is it healthy? Highly doubtful. If I wanted to fall back on extended fasting to break a plateau or seal up my leaky gut, I would juice fast. Good healthy freshly juiced apples, carrots, and lots of greens-- Jack LaLanne style. Doing so provided me with much better nutrition, the same sugar fueled energy as that creepy maple syrup, and protected gut flora-- no diarrhea. It tasted much better and allowed me to keep a major variety of micronutrients coursing through my system. I don't advocate ANY COLON CLEANSING product. Stay far away from voluntary gut flora-cide.

Comment

Originally posted by grol View Post
                            i've done mc for 10 days about five years ago. The lemonade was disgusting with the cayenne. I spent about a year in the fasting culture. I think mc is the bottom of the barrel scientifically. It induces diarrhea. That means it kills gut flora. This is called cleansing. I call it a health menace. Is it killing anyone? No, we're pretty resilient animals. Is it healthy? Highly doubtful. If i wanted to fall back on extended fasting to break a plateau or seal up my leaky gut, i would juice fast. Good healthy freshly juiced apples, carrots, and lots of greens-- jack lalanne style. Doing so provided me with much better nutrition, the same sugar fueled energy as that creepy maple syrup, and protected gut flora-- no diarrhea. It tasted much better and allowed me to keep a major variety of micronutrients coursing through my system. I don't advocate any colon cleansing product. Stay far away from voluntary gut flora-cide.
                            colon cleansing sux!!!!!!!!!! Did it once. Wasted $200 just to run to the bathroom like there was no tomorrow once. The rest of the time my colon felt like i ingested cement. Run far away from detoxing products. I have more faith in my body now as im sure it knows exactly what to do with any 'toxins'. Tried the juice fast. Really felt great. But was that all the fructose running through my veins? I think IF is a good way to give your body a much needed rest sometimes.
                            Last edited by shannon; 07-14-2010, 04:42 PM. Reason: TYPO
                            Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Comment

as an RN of 39 years experience,the last 6 in a very active university hospital endoscopy unit,i can assure you that all the colon detox hype (having 20lb of old stool in your colon etc) is complete nonsense. we do upper endoscopy,EUS,ERCP and a bunch of colonoscopies. the docs i work with have been doing colons for 20-30 years,1000s of them. if you want to detox,then stay that way with large fiber and low S.G. fluid intakes. water is best for all the reasons that we all are aware of. if you must "detox" yourself,only take something that pulls water into the bowel (MOM,lactulose,etc)). NOT phenothaline,sena,cascara or any other "working" preparations. the,even mild,overuse of these-present in most "natural" products-easily lead to colonic slowdown,sluggishness and even paresis. abusive of these can also lead to easily observed anatomic changes as well as the hard to treat functional problems. it ain't neurosurgery,just well established principals of GI medicine-fiber and water,the more the merrier. further,the "high colonic" scam is even more ignorant. enemas only deal with the last third of the colon: descending,sigmoid and rectum. sluggish colon issues usually occur in the first 2/3s. ascending and especially transverse colons. a special problem for women who have had c-sections and/or hysterectomies. a clean diet high in fiber, adequate + in water intake,adequate levels of overall exercise/activity,avoidance of excess use of narcotic and like medications are the keys on this issue,and,several others,as we know. due to my incliations and experience,i am well aware of where standard medicine has dropped the ball. on this,listen to your GI doc. he/she knows whereof they speak. sorry for the rant.
                              Last edited by mosin46; 07-14-2010, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X