Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legumes......Are they really bad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Legumes......Are they really bad?

    I'm sure this subject must of come up before, but I probably missed it.

    Anyhow, I'm curious as to how the group feel about legumes? Personally, I like to include them in my diet. I enjoy lentils, black beans and peas. I love to add black beans or lentals to my eggs in the morning.

    So, what's the verdict on legumes?

  • #2
    I say NO LEGUMES.

    There have been several posts on Lectin and their effects.

    If you are going to add them to your diet, the research that I have read indicates that soaking and cooking are required to mitigate the lectins.
    "I am a member of PETA...People Eat Tasty Animals"

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Steve1907 View Post
      If you are going to add them to your diet, the research that I have read indicates that soaking and cooking are required to mitigate the lectins.
      correct, some even require multiple soakings and rinsings requiring a couple days prep
      I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

      Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

      Comment


      • #4
        Agreed....I always soak them overnight!

        Comment


        • #5
          Sure, if you want degenerative joint disease, arthritis, and migraines - go to town on the ol' legumes. Otherwise, pitch 'em.
          Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

          Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)


          Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

          My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Griff View Post
            Sure, if you want degenerative joint disease, arthritis, and migraines
            if you take the time to properly prepare them they do no more damage than an apple.
            I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

            Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

            Comment


            • #7
              There are lectins and phytates and some of that might get taken care of by soaking but there are also saponins which are pretty gnarly little buggers.

              From Loren Cordain:

              Saponins are glycoalkaloids (a family of poisons commonly found in the plant species Solanum dulcamara - nightshades) produced by plants, technically known as steroid glycosides or triterpenoids, are formed by a sugar compound (glucuronic acid, glucose or galactose, among others) and aglycone (non-sugar molecule) portion30-32. The aglycone portion binds the cholesterol molecule on gut cell membranes. When certain amounts of saponins bind cell membrane cholesterol molecules of the intestinal epithelial cells at a 1:1 ratio, the sugar portion of the saponins bind together, resulting in a complex molecule consisting of cholesterol and saponins. This new molecule disrupts the gut barrier and increases intestinal permeability. This has been shown in humans who consume a diet rich in alpha-solanine and alpha-chaconine - two of the saponins found in potatoes31
              And it appears that soaking and cooking do very little to reduce certain saponins. I'm not too sure about fermenting. In either case... WHY?!?
              http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf950721v
              Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

              Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Stabby View Post
                There are lectins and phytates and some of that might get taken care of by soaking but there are also saponins which are pretty gnarly little buggers.

                From Loren Cordain:



                And it appears that soaking and cooking do very little to reduce certain saponins. I'm not too sure about fermenting. In either case... WHY?!?
                http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf950721v
                so this would then apply to peppers, tomatoes and the like?
                I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

                Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

                Comment


                • #9
                  Are beans in a can properly prepared? I mean they've been soaking in that water inside the can for months, maybe years? how much longer of a soaking could they stand?
                  I'm only partially kidding. I remember seeing a food network show that toured bushs bean factory and they DO soak the beans before cooking to ensure they stay whole. But, I don't know how long the soaking is, what they put in the water,if they do it for all varieties, etc...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by federkeil View Post
                    if you take the time to properly prepare them they do no more damage than an apple.
                    But so few people do that, and it's so much work. Why not just have some steak or a salad instead?
                    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

                    Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)


                    Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

                    My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by federkeil View Post
                      so this would then apply to peppers, tomatoes and the like?
                      In my experience those aren't quite as bad as legumes, but yes nightshades can be problematic. Worse in some people more than others.
                      Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

                      Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Katie82 View Post
                        Are beans in a can properly prepared? I mean they've been soaking in that water inside the can for months, maybe years? how much longer of a soaking could they stand?
                        I'm only partially kidding. I remember seeing a food network show that toured bushs bean factory and they DO soak the beans before cooking to ensure they stay whole. But, I don't know how long the soaking is, what they put in the water,if they do it for all varieties, etc...
                        you have to remember that they do it for shelf life, texture and appearance, not health.

                        I know that some beans require 3 or 4 soaking sessions to remove the phytates and the like before cooking
                        I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

                        Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          beans or steak? STEAK!
                          beans or chicken? CHICKEN!
                          beans or fish? FISH!
                          beans or pork?PORK!

                          so many great ways to not eat beans!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by lmyers04 View Post
                            beans or steak? STEAK!
                            beans or chicken? CHICKEN!
                            beans or fish? FISH!
                            beans or pork?PORK!

                            so many great ways to not eat beans!
                            but if you're cooking for someone who likes legumes, or is resistant to a primal switch, there are ways to make their food healthier.
                            I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

                            Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I love beans...more than a lot of meat actually. I just eat them no more than once a week, soak them properly, and count them as part of my 20%.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X